General Discussion Race Reports! » Central Florida Tri Series- Race #4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Central Florida Tri Series- Race #4 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clermont, Florida
United States
Sommer Sports
Total Time = 1h 33m 29s
Overall Rank = 97/274?
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 18/35
Pre-race routine:

Got up, went to Denny's, ate the Grand Slam. Talked with waitresses about drunk people on the night shift.
Event warmup:

I swam about 1/4 mile.
Swim
  • 19m 26s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was a couple of minutes slower than the last sprint distance in Clermont; it's OK because I believe the course was longer today. I checked on the times of several people including the top finishers today, who were there for the last race. They were all at least 2 minutes slower.
What would you do differently?:

Nuthin'. Good swim for me; didn't hit anybody, felt comfortable, sighting was good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Transition went fine. No drama..until I hopped on the bike. See below.
Bike
  • 44m 8s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I hopped on my bike out of transition..and I had a flat. I hurriedly pulled the wheel, only to find that my tire levers were missing from the bag. I was pretty sure that it was a slow leak, so I hit it with the CO2, put it back together, and rode out. Cost me about 3 1/2 minutes.

I didn't really feel like I had much power on the bike, as my breathing wasn't great thanks to the flu. I sat down and spun and tried to make the best of it, and blew snot rockets. :) I took corners easy as my tire was losing pressure throughout the race; it probably had 40 psi or less by the end of the bike.

It still appears that my time would've been about the same as last sprint without the flat. I was passed a couple of times but went by them in turn each time. I did catch up to the eventual Clydesdale winner, a guy I raced against last year, and traded the lead with him most of the way back. Then he ran away from me. That's a fast big dude. :)
What would you do differently?:

Not have a flat, not be sick!
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

No drama. I did take the time to put on socks this race; I got some blisters at the HOT running sockless.
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I was panting like my dog, only with less drool, heading out. After a mile or so I was able to get my breathing (and presumably heart rate) under control and speed up.
Post race
Event comments:

I'm glad I went down and did the race, flu and all. A little something for everyone: drunks sobering up at Denny's, snot rockets and Shart Guy (more on him later...).

I stayed the night at the local home stay place; it's hard to beat $20/night when you're by yourself, and you can go back and shower after the race.

I am starting to recognize a lot of faces (and other body parts!) of people who're regulars at these races. It's good to have people to bench mark your progress against.

I had the last aftermath (I hope) from my Week O' Flats; I had a flat a couple of nights ago on the Calfee, and had to fix it last night before heading down to Clermont. I had pinch flatted, I thought, so I took the tire off, checked it, and put another tube in. Pump it up...Blooey! After inspection I thought I'd pinched the tube and put another in. Same thing..blooey again. Finally I got smart and found the cut in the tire. Luckily, I had new tires but I was out of new long stem 650 tubes. No fear, I put a patched tube in there. Aired it up, all appeared good. That bit me this morning as it had a slow leak and resulted in me losing 3-4 minutes on the bike.

OK, on to Shart Guy, or as Susan Haag referred to him, Fecal Man. :o Those of sensitive disposition might want to quit reading now.

I was on the last half mile or so of the run when I hear a guy overtaking me. He's puffing, and gives this big grunt of effort every so often..."UNNNHHH!". OK, whatever..he's passing me so he must be doing something right. When he gets past, I am appalled to see a HUGE BROWN SHIT STAIN on the back of his shorts. There's no real way to finesse this; he'd had a major shart, apparently. I wanted to yell, "Dude! Detour to the showers!" but really, what can you say?

Needless to say, he became the hot topic of post-race discussion, prompting Susan to surreptitiously check his times. He'd gotten 3rd in his age group. Maybe that's what it takes?! :) He did clean up and change before I saw him again, and I had to shush Susan when he went to claim his award and she started cheering, "Yay, Fecal Man!".

Anyway, it was a good race, with bonus entertainment, and I tried to use it as a half Iron pacing exercise on the bike. Not sure how successful that was. I note that there are TONS of fast guys in the 40-44 AG. Of the top 5 overall finishers, 4 out of 5 were in their 40s!

Enough typing; I need a rest as I'm operating on 5 hours of sleep and I mowed the lawn when I got home.

Last updated: 2006-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:26 | 820 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/274?
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:08 | 13.67 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Same course as the last few races. Out around the lake, into some rolling hills and then turn into a development with more rollers, then back. We need some more Florida flatlanders to come race in Clermont and find out what these hills are all about!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:17 | 03.11 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Same as the last few in Clermont; out along the path by the lake, loop up through a neighborhood with a couple of mild hills and then back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-10 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Central Florida Tri Series- Race #4

2006-09-10 7:45 PM
in reply to: #535698

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Central Florida Tri Series- Race #4
Great race Kendal esp with being sick and a flat......that has to be about the funniest story about that guy tho!!! Get better
2006-09-10 8:00 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Nice race with all the no-so-favorable stuff going on. 

You're a tough guy.  Hope you feel better...

2006-09-11 5:41 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

You looked like crap Saturday when I saw you.  I am really surprised you raced.

Good job though.  Gotta love a good sh!t story!

2006-09-11 6:44 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

what a poopy race!!

no, seriously.  Props to starting despite your flu and sticking with it in the flat. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Central Florida Tri Series- Race #4 Rss Feed