General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 46s
Overall Rank = 62/167
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

I was 5th overall female out of 43 (4th was just 1 second faster but 3rd was way faster!) which is a bit more meaningful than total as I don't really compete with the boys!

I was determined not to be rushed this morning so I got up at 5am and left the house at 5.20am for the 40min drive (packed the night before). Even managed to get some oatmeal down me in those 20mins and took coffee in the car.
Being reasonably early I got a parking spot not too far away from transition (about 3min walk) and got myself organised. No queue for toilets which was a nice surprise! Ate a banana and a few bites of Clif Bar and then had time to say hello to a few people before pre race meeting
Event warmup:

After pre race meeting I went straight to the lake (ouch the path wasn't the smoothest in bare feet) and got in the water and swam out for a bit and back. Only 5mins or so but made a huge difference and it was so warm (70F) compared with the air.
Swim
  • 29m 18s
  • 1448 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

4th female. Time includes run to transition area where mat was.

I was 3rd wave (pink caps) which wasn't that big and I started out towards front on inside as I didn't want to make myself swim further than I had too. The benefit of small waves (and girls I imagine too) is that there isn't much thrashing and goggle kicking and I had no contact at all. I was determined to try and push myself a bit as I was disappointed with my swim at Musselman.
Almost immediately a pink cap came whizzing past me like I was going 0mph (rumour had it she caught most of the guys on the earlier 2 waves so I don't feel too bad). I was swimming neck and neck with another pink cap all the way out and then she dropped back slightly. I didn't see any other pink caps pass me but maybe they did cos I kept my head down pretty well all the way round.
I started passing some of the other waves about half way up the outward journey but certainly never caught the masses! A girl orange cap from the next wave passed me half way down the return leg.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster! The girls that go fast are simply amazing and I want to be like them!
I felt I did a lot right today, unlike my previous race. Warm up I think helped tremendously as I didn't feel winded after the first few hundred meters
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

20th female and last (4th) in age group.
Quite a long run from lake to transition on an uncomfortable path so I tried to keep to the edge on the grass. As soon as I got over the timing mat I slowed down a bit to regain my breath.
I tried to do the transition standing but quite honestly I just needed to sit to put my shoes and socks on 'cos I was winded.

Get faster. I don't know my time yet but I always seem to be slow compared with others in transitions
Bike
  • 1h 14m 1s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

5th female

I love riding my bike! Having driven the course the day before I was a bit concerned about that first hill but actually it looked worse in the car. I kept seated and just spun all the way up. Nice to get to the top though. I enjoyed the next bit of the course as I could push myself a bit without dying and I passed some of the older guys. Unfortunately my bike computer thingy must have twisted cos all I had was time and cadence so didn't know how far or fast I was going.
The hill after the sharp corner was a bit daunting but I got into my lowest gear, stayed seated and got up it OK. Passed a couple of guys and one shouted to me about having granny gears. Whatever works!
Merging with sprint course was a bit of a pain cos they were turning onto our road as we went downhill so I had to actually slow down a bit there.

From there on I was just slowly picking off some of the slower sprint course people.

Stretched a bit on final road in.

Loved the bike. Have I mentioned I like riding my bike?

Get faster. Get stronger so I can maintain a decent cadence at higher gears.
It was actually quite cold there once up the first hill and at several points I thought I should have long sleeves on. But would I do differently next time - probably not!
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

9th female
OK
Did all the right things in the right order but took my time to make sure I didn't hit the run too breathless (it's my weakness)

Get faster
Run
  • 52m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

OK my aim was to get round this at a decent pace and not walk and I achieved that yeh! I had pushed myself a bit on the swim and bike and decided to let my recent run focused training get me through this.
14th female - guess what needs most work!
I felt quite breathless for about the first mile before I settled down into my pace. Then I just trundled around. The first loop seemed to take forever, especially the bit up the end of the pier and back. Second loop I was just telling myself that I would now make it and even tried to pick it up a bit towards the end (don't think it would have been notceable though to anyone but me!). I am well chuffed that my pace is under 9mins per mile for the SIX MILES!!!!

Get faster
My running has come on really well considering where I was at the beginning of the year. I'll just keep working on it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank some water and headed over to some BTers and others that I knew to help cheer some people through the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I went as fast as I am capable of right now as so am pretty pleased and can now say I HAVE DONE AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE TRIATHLON

Event comments:

Unlike some others who had organisational glitches, I think I avoided most of them by getting there quite early. I put my bike in before getting body marked and timing chip with no problems (after seems mad - was everyone supposed to just dump their bikes on the ground????). I had no queues for body marking, timing chip or toilets so was quite happy.
A little more info on website/pick up packet would have been nice. I may have missed it but had no idea what would be at aid stations (I relied on my own nutrition anyway) and people travelling to an event that still says it is open isn't very good.
I had heard somewhere that we had to clear transition area before we got our food. That didn't seem friendly to exhausted athletes but wasn't enforced/mentioned on the day anyway.

From my point of view I had a completely hitch free race and the volunteers were full of smiles (and some dancing) so I have no complaints. Food was nice too. Pita's and sandwiches stuffed full, fruit salad and cookies.

Last updated: 2006-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:18 | 1448 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 29/167
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve (Nineteen)
Course: Rectangle of out 4 buoys on your left, take a left then back in 4 buoys on your left
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:01 | 24 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 70/167
Wind:
Course: 1 loop. Starts off with a long, gradual climb then rolling hills between the 2 lakes. At Rushville there is a sharp corner and then straight into a steepish hill (and no speed to help) and then downhill and flat most of the way back. Course merged with sprint course on way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:13 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 82/167
Course: 2 loops of flat course Very pleasant first part round a park bit with hedges, ponds and lovely running surface. Then out along road on lake front to a turnaround point. You turn around and head back and then find you have to do a right to the end of the pier and back before you continue on homeward bit of loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-10 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-09-10 7:26 PM
in reply to: #535747

User image

Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Awesome job!  I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you!  I was on the bike course directing traffic so I'm sure I saw you=)
2006-09-10 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Hey Jackie!
Nice race today! Maybe we should send each other some cross-vibes or something: You give me some of your biking talent and I'll give you some of my fast running! We'd be AWESOME then!!!
Good to see you again. See you at Master's this week??
2006-09-10 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Sounds like you had a great race!  Woo-hoo!
2006-09-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: #535813

Jackie--

Great job and good to meet you yesterday!

2006-09-11 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
WTG, JACKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did a fabulous job in your first Oly. GREAT JOB!!

See you at swimming.

Rob

2006-09-11 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Jackie, I just saw the race results AND YOU FINISHED FIRST IN YOUR AGE GROUP!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS FANTASTIC IN YOUR FIRST OLY TO DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!
2006-09-11 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Wow! Amazing race. You are FAST! I did the same race, and let's just say I took a little bit longer
2006-09-11 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job Jackie!! Wow, you're fast on the bike. Do you have a tri bike? Are you done racing this year? You're going to start training with Mary soon too. She came in first in the sprint.

I'm doing the Lowlander this weekend and the Out of Bounds half-marathon at Bristol on oct 7.

Training for the ironman will start too after that.

Congrats on your race!!

Nathalie
2006-09-12 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Great race, Jackie. It was nice to finally meet you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed