General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition During 70.3 race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-01-17 11:40 AM

User image

, Virginia
Subject: Nutrition During 70.3 race
I'm curious to see what some of the half iron distance triathletes are using for nutrition during race days. I'm racing in my first 70.3 in a few months and would like to see what others are using so I can get my nutrition plan going.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2017-01-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Nutrition During 70.3 race
I'm using INFINIT these days.

I started out using Hammer Nutrition, then UCAN.

For me, I find that INFINIT is the best option. You'll want to test different products, to see what you can and can't tolerate, but do that IN TRAINING!

Once I get on the run, I live off the course.

Good luck!

Edited by d00d 2017-01-17 12:38 PM
2017-01-18 9:20 PM
in reply to: TriathlonnDad

User image

I have used both Gels & Infinit plus some other solid like a stinger wafer for more food.

See my comments here after IMWI 2015 using Infinit:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Now that I am more confident in my nutrition (I know what does and does not work) and most races have decent options, this season I think I will try to live of the course more. I will bring some Gels for backups and some solids for the bike. Otherwise, mostly water on the bike and gatorade on the run.

As a side note, after 112 miles of Infinite on the bike, I can still remember how good those potato chips tasted about mile 10 of the run at IMWI. Like manna from heaven!

2017-01-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

One other note about the Infinit during IMWI. I remember having to get off my bike hourly to pee. Super frustrating looking back. 5 minutes added to every hour. Too much liquid.

2017-01-19 6:00 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have an unorthodox approach. Mainly dark chocolate in small chunks, about every 20 minutes, plus a few gus for backup on the bike, gu (with caffeine and electrolytes) on the run; Nuun (sugar-free sports drink) and water to drink. I arrived at this combo by accident in training after a lot of issues with gagging on many gu flavors, and nausea from liquid nutrition, and have used it for my last four HIM, with a best of 5:16. It works for me, YMMV.
2017-01-19 6:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, Virginia
Thanks for the tip on the chocolate. Sounds like a fun experiment and a nice treat during training even if doesn't really work for me. I have plenty of time so I will give it a whirl.

2017-01-19 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Apparently for some athletes the fat in it can cause GI issues. Zero in my case. In one race I even shoved the final piece of chocolate into my mouth as I was running out of transition. I use dark chocolate, which I think is lower in fat (plus it melts more slowly). I happened to grab some for a long training ride one day when I was out of gu, and had a really good ride and brick run without the usual gagging and weird spikes/dips in energy that gu sometimes gives me. Tried it in several more workouts and my next race and it worked well. I do have some issues with it melting in the tropics--I use various workarounds like pre-freezing it and rolling it in sea salt (sounds disgusting, but I like it!)

The downside is it can be a bit hard to chew and ride hard at the same time, but no different than gu chomps or energy bars. I can't use chocolate at distances shorter than HIM (riding/breathing too hard), and I make sure not to be munching on choco on an uphill! I think it would be okay for full IM--I remember reading that one of the top women pros in the past at Kona (I think Chrissy Wellington or Leanda Cave) puts away a big bar of dark chocolate on the bike.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-01-19 7:02 AM
2017-01-19 7:17 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It's really a personal thing. You need to find what works for you and what you need. I have one friend that did a full IM on nothing by water and SlimJim's (yeah, not recommended, but it works for him!) and my wife has done her 1/2 IM's on nothing by water and a single gel (and she podiumed on that...).

For most, some kind of sports drink that you can tolerance, a couple of gels and/or energy chews should be enough. Most important is find something that you can tolerance yet gives you the energy needed for the last part of the run... This is probably the most complex part of long distance racing as you can't assume that what works for a shorter workout will work when you're at the brink of exhaustion.
2017-01-19 3:07 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
I do the dark chocolate thing as well as it gives me a nice mental boost with the taste and luckily I guess really agrees with my stomach.
2017-01-19 3:58 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Healthily meal several hours before race. Depending on the race setup I'll take a gel right before starting on the swim, then again and right after in T1.

On the bike I used a combo gels and bars.  I still love an old fashion PB Powerbar, the chewing gives me satisfaction!  Everything I want for ~250 cal per hour is stored in my top tube bento pack.  I'll have my bike water ready with a Nuun and have a tablet in my bento for later in the race when I fill it.

For the run I have used a hydration belt with 10 oz bottle filled half filled with hammer Gels & some water. Not a perfect mix but I'd supplement with water at the aid stations.  

I've found that as I've gotten older that Hammer gels don't bother me.

Keep experimenting during training, especially on hot days.

2017-01-19 3:58 PM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

On the more successful of my 2 HIM's I had a mix of what felt like everything in my bento box - Honey Stinger waffles (pre-cut into 1/4's), Sport Beans and some Gels. I loved having variety based on what I felt like at the time.

2017-01-19 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think people have hit on a couple of important things that many people learn the hard way.

1. Nutrition for a longer race is different than for a shorter race. There may be some things that work for one, but not the other. Again, very individual.

2. Carrying some kind of "backup" with a different taste or texture becomes a better idea the longer the race goes on. In a longer event, that gu flavor you just loved in training or shorter races may somehow, inexplicably, become inedible. This seems quite common in full IM--some people seem to lose their taste for sweet stuff by the latter stages of the run.

3. How many calories you need varies widely, depending on things like gender, body size, speed, weather conditions, etc. You will see numbers like 200 or 250 calories an hour, but some need more, some less. A HIM on water and one gu sounds tough, but women, lighter, and faster athletes in general often take in fewer calories. I think I average about 500-600 calories on the bike and 200-250 on the run. As a general rule,it's better to err on the side of too little than too much with race nutrition. You can always pick up more calories on the course if needed; if you take in more than you can digest, you're stuck with bloating, nausea, and other GI issues.

4. Weather conditions can have a big effect. If it's hot, you're taking in more liquid, and it can be harder to get/keep down more calories. For hotter events, I tend to drink more and eat less.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-01-19 5:39 PM
2017-01-19 8:07 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook

On the more successful of my 2 HIM's I had a mix of what felt like everything in my bento box - Honey Stinger waffles (pre-cut into 1/4's), Sport Beans and some Gels. I loved having variety based on what I felt like at the time.

Ha! I love Stinger Waffles, but hate how they break down into crumbs if you don't pre-cut them. I have even thought about freezing them, cutting them and then refreezing so they stay together.
2017-01-20 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by scottficek

One other note about the Infinit during IMWI. I remember having to get off my bike hourly to pee. Super frustrating looking back. 5 minutes added to every hour. Too much liquid.

Why waste time getting off the bike? Seems inefficient.

To the OP:
For a half I will carry 2 Powerbar Performance Energy bars, a bottle of sports drink, and a gel on the bike. (My target is 2:20 or so bike split)

Then on the run I'll bring along three gels to take at 20, 40 and 60 minutes (usually target <1:30 run split)

Generally you want to aim for around 300 calories per hour on the bike and maybe 200 per hour on the run.

On the bike I prefer solids because otherwise at some point I start feeling straight-up "hungry". Sure I could be sucking down Perpetuem, or Infinit in the appropriate calorie load, but that won't stop the "hungry" feeling.
2017-01-22 12:17 PM

On the one HIM I have done to date, I ate my regular big old breakfast a few hours before race start. I had a bunch of GU gels bottled up for the bike and I used these plus a Clif bar I got at an aid station. On the run it was the GU chomps provided at the aid stations. The chomps are kind of like gummy bears but softer. Worked for me.
2017-01-22 3:41 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have done two HIM.  Both of them I feel that my Nutrition plan didn't work for me.  

The first one I had a 65 oz of ESF which put me at about 500 calories and some eletrolyte tablets, a power bar and some gels for back up.  I was planning on a 3 hour bike ride but got double flat ties.  The first one cost me about 20 minutes, but I only had one spare inner tube so the 2nd flat was a bigger problems and cost me about an hour.  Sitting on the the hot black top in 95 deg F weather zapped a lot more out of me than riding with 20 MPH air movement cooling me.  I not only extended my ride from 3 hour to 4-1/2 but needed more fluids per hour that I would have if I was riding rather than stopped.  I eat the power bar while stopped whihc the best thing I had all day on the course (yep I welt "hungry" and the solid food was a lifesaver.  I however ran out of fluids with 15 miles to go (and no more aid stations.  I was cramping before I made it to the T2. On the run I stopped for electrolyte tables, water, gatoraid, and orage wedges at ever aid station.  They were about 1-1/2 miles apart.  Once you start to cramp it is hard to get it to stop during a race.  I just had to take it really slow and not strain.  Staining sent my legs into spasms which is really painful.   

On my 2nd race took about the  the same plan.  It was a 55 degree and raining day so instead of taking in my 500 calories in fluids I only drank about 200 calories.  Around mile 40-45 I started to feel the energy drain but to to lack of experience mistook it for fatigue and instead of taking in calories just relaxed as much as I could and focused on maintaining a steady pace.  We I hit a limit going up a long hill and got off to walk.  I took my cliff bar and gator aid and walk to the top of the hill.  Coming down the other side I was able to pretty much coast the rest of the way in to the T2.  I started off on the run but didn't feel my normal springy self.  I again relaxed as much as I could and try to focus on an easy but steady pace.  I took lots of orange slices about every 2-3 miles but at mile 7 I was dead.  I took really tart electrolyte pill and that seemed to give me a little bit a zip (until the tartness was gone).  I took two Gu packs and tried to make the steady pace again.  Once the Gu kicked in I was fine.  and ran well from miles 9-13.1.  I was really obvious  once I started on the Gu that the Nutrition was why I was feeling off and not fatigue.  I took several Gu's at the end of the run,but if I would have started at mile 30 in the bike instead of mile 8 on the run things would have been different.

I guess what I learned is that you need to be able to adjust for race day conditions.  If you train from January to April in 65-70 degree weather then go race on a 90-95 deg day your nutrition requirements on race day are going to me different than they were in training.  Likewise if you are planning on a 95 deg day where you will be drinking 65 oz of fluids on the bike in 3 hours and it is 55 degs and raining and you only get down about 25-30 oz. of fluid you nutrition is likewise are going to need to be aware of that and make adjustments.  I am still trying to figure out these triathlons.

So...race 1: 750 calories on the bike over 4-1/2 hours on the first race was 167 calories an hour.  I was way under th 300 calorie rule of thumb and yes I did make a difference in my race.   Race 2: 500 calories over 3 hours.  That also was 167 calories and hour and yes it also made a difference in my race.  My plan it to be at the 250-300 calories an hour range for my next 70.3.  once I get past the bike stage I will see how the run nutrition shapes up.  

2017-01-23 6:49 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Exton, PA
Gu, Gatorade , and water that's all. For a full IM I have to add some other stuff because I get sick of eating GU and Gatorade all day.
2017-01-24 7:58 PM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Not to get steal the OPs mojo here, but had to answer this one.

I have "not gotten off the bike" in a race before, but that was in a much smaller race where everyone was spread out. Seemed like in the IM there was always someone within 10 yards of me.
2017-01-25 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I believe in keeping it simple on HIMs.

I drink 1st Endurance electrolyte fuel system and water while on bike. I take a couple of gels.

I eat oranges or whatever they have in the aid stations on the run.

Had no cramping or stomach issues.

2017-01-25 3:24 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Very individual.  You should invest time in testing what works for you on your long days.  That said, it's a good idea to also try out whatever is on course, as shyte happens and you might have to live off the course.  Better to be prepared.

For ME:

Bagels (between 1-2, depending on hunger) with almond/maple nut butter, two coffees (the usual - helps "get things moving") and a bottle of water for breakfast when I get up.

Small bike bottle of about half strength Skratch or equivalent while setting up the hour before heading to the line.  Usually a GU about 20' before the start.  (offload the last of the water and some of the Skratch while waiting for the gun).

Bike:  4 packets of GU or Power-gel-stuff cut with a little water so it'll pour out of a gel flask.  Usually finish that on the bike.  Two to three bottles of about half strength scratch, or replace one with just Nuun if it's gonna be a scorcher.  Water from the course if needed (haven't needed to yet).  I have a second gel flask with 4 GU/PowerGels for the run, but take it with me on the bike if I get hungry, so I can add a bit more calories.  Usually don't.

Run:  Aforementioned gel flask.  If the flavor I picked is killing me or I'm sick of consistency, I'll toss and take hand ups from the course (which is why I try whatever they use in training).  Drinks from the course (water, "aid" or coke, depending on mood/need).  Lots of ice on hot days.

2 bottles of water immediately post race.  2-4 IPA's within an hour or so (perhaps most critical part of the race for me), plus it's about the only time I'll get a slider if I'm driving home from the race!

YMMV - and so might mine.  What works for me seems to change some from year to year, so caveat emptor.

Matt

2017-01-26 6:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
just don't do this
they are along the entire top tube. One every 22min apparently. Yikes

Edited by marcag 2017-01-26 6:09 AM

(Screenshot 2017-01-26 05.11.29.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2017-01-26 05.11.29.png (1641KB - 9 downloads)

2017-01-26 7:36 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've seen this, even at Worlds. And the rider appears to be a smalli-sh woman. Wow! To each her own.

I have never done the tape to the tube approach since my second Oly, when ALL my nutrition fell off and I did the race on empty, except for the little piece of fruit leather that my friend's husband conveniently dropped as I was leaving T2. Apparently the duct tape here is not up to US standards, or I sweat so much it destroys the stickiness??
2017-01-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

, Virginia
Thanks Matt, sounds like you have it dialed in.

What is scratch?
2017-01-26 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by scottficek

Not to get steal the OPs mojo here, but had to answer this one.

I have "not gotten off the bike" in a race before, but that was in a much smaller race where everyone was spread out. Seemed like in the IM there was always someone within 10 yards of me.

Never stopped me

I usually find myself alone in IM bike rides, or at least plenty alone enough to let loose.
2017-01-26 3:25 PM

Water, a Gatorade or three, I think 1-2 gels. Mainly just because I 'felt' like I should consume something. I did have a small handful of pretzels.
I eat a lot of those in real life too, so no worries there.
I did promise myself some cola with 3 miles to go.
Not ideal. The 2nd to last mile was pretty uncomfortably burpy.

I'll save my cola intake for post any race and Christmas Day. The only times I drink regular soda.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition During 70.3 race Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

70.3 nutrition race day

Started by Jimmycolorado
Views: 730 Posts: 2

2014-05-20 1:56 PM popsracer

B / C Races during 70.3 Trainning

Started by svalenzuela
Views: 836 Posts: 3

2013-04-18 7:07 AM colinphillips

Race nutrition (night before/day of/during race)

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1099 Posts: 11

2012-06-22 3:16 PM rjrankin83

Pre-Race and During the race nutrition

Started by bmjehle
Views: 2267 Posts: 9

2010-08-11 3:49 PM Nipper

Nutrition during the race

Started by Sassafras
Views: 669 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 3:20 PM Sassafras
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
A Quick Guide to Race-Day Nutrition Options

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mrakes1
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.