General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many events? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-25 8:31 PM

Subject: How many events?
I'm just curious on something. How many events typically do you all enter in a year? I'm looking at this from a training perspective, and I live way up in N. Dakota. I try to train for 4-6 events a year. Also, do any of you mix up your events? I trained for a half marathon last year, a couple duathlons, and the rest tri's. To me, this is challenging as I only have 5 hours a week to train.
Just wondering if my number of events is way down on the scale....everyone is different.
Thanks for weighing in.

2017-01-25 9:27 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Subject: RE: How many events?
Depends on where you are in life. I am married with 3 kids, self-employed (and my wife is too) and 48. I do about 4 events per year (couple 10k run, 1-2 HIM, maybe a marathon and/or a fun/mud run).

2017-01-25 10:07 PM

User image

This is going on only my third year but it looks like I'm heading toward about 5 triathlons a year (all sprint), a triathlon relay or two (Olympic distance, I swim or I both swim and cycle), a cycling event, and a 10k run.

I'm also doing a 2k open water swim this year. I may continue doing that if they have them in my area (they have several in Taiwan where I live that are more carnival/fun swims, but this particular event is the real deal with a chip, no torpedo buoy required, wetsuit optional).
2017-01-26 1:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I do far too many, but only have 2-3 real goal races, the others are just fun or hard workouts.
2017-01-26 5:38 AM
in reply to: #5211449

User image

I am typically around 6-7. Tri season is pretty short in Michigan (Memorial Day - Labor Day), so I probably get in 4-5 tris a year. 3-4 Olympic; 1-2 70.3. Usually start and end the year with a half marathon to get running volume in.

Like the other posted, I have 3 kids and training more than 10 hours per week is a real struggle.

Additionally, the cost of racing, coupled with traveling to races, can get quite pricey.
2017-01-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I have 5 duathlons and 2 triathlons planned for next year. If there were any more duathlons around me, I would more than likely add 2-4 more. Only doing the tri's as my wife's a triathlete and both these two have a swim that's short enough for me to survive. Race starts once I'm out of the water. :-)

I have one 1/2 marathon planned, and might add a couple of 5k's and 10k's, just for fun.

The challenge I have is that I travel ALOT internationally for work. Makes it difficult to train consistently and sometimes racing is wrapping up only hours before I need to get to the airport (good thing I have an understanding wife that's a triathlete).

Edited by audiojan 2017-01-26 8:06 AM

2017-01-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

This is my 15th seasons as a triathlete.  I used to race one to three events a year, sometimes more.  A couple years I only raced an Ironman.  But since 2015 started I've been doing at least one race a month; race defined as "wearing a timing chip".  I ended up racing 15 events in both 2015 and 2016.  A lot of running races like half marathons.

I'm planning on a race a month this year too.  This last weekend I raced a 10K for my January race.  I have half IMs scheduled for May and June, and I'll probably add another half IM later in the year.  I'm racing the San Francisco Marathon in July.

I will probably end up with 15 or 16 events this year.  My wife and I are "empty nesters" with adult children in Northern California, New York City, Portland, and Boulder. I do a lot of destination races ("race-cation").  In 2016 I raced twice in Hawaii, and in Memphis, New Orleans, New York, and Austin.

https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/13335926

Edited by brucemorgan 2017-01-26 10:47 AM
2017-01-26 2:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Burchib I'm just curious on something. How many events typically do you all enter in a year? I'm looking at this from a training perspective, and I live way up in N. Dakota. I try to train for 4-6 events a year. Also, do any of you mix up your events? I trained for a half marathon last year, a couple duathlons, and the rest tri's. To me, this is challenging as I only have 5 hours a week to train. Just wondering if my number of events is way down on the scale....everyone is different. Thanks for weighing in.

In my first 2-1/2 years of Triathlon I have done two Triathlons.  Both of them 70.3 distance.  I plan to do my next 70.3 this October and 1 or 2 Olympic races for training this summer.

So.... I do about two races a year.  One in the spring and one in the fall.  

I also do about two (2) 5K races a year (in the off season, summer and winter).  I did a 5K race last Saturday and broke a course record.  The timing company asked me at the finish line if that was my first race of the year.  I thought that was an odd question for a race done the 3rd week of January.  I told them it was my first race and their follow-up question was, "How often do you do races?  Every week? Every other week?"  I told then I did about two races a year and they were stunned.  They could figure out how I could run like that on just two races a year.  :-)

Some people race every 15+ times a year. If I had a sponsor I might go for that but when I am paying my own way so I space them far enough apart that I can see if I have got faster or slower with each training cycle.

2017-01-26 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I do 3-5 per year.
2017-01-26 4:53 PM
in reply to: nickster

work full time and have 2 young kids, so not heaps of races and we have a triathlon season october - april, I'm guessing some countries have races all year round? I normally do 3 x 70.3, 2 x OD, 4 x sprint plus about 3 - 4 OWS and a couple of road races, 10km, HM.
2017-01-26 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Single, no kids, but full time (and a half, it feels like sometimes) job. My racing is seriously limited by my employer's leave policy. Only two days of paid personal leave a year; we have to apply for them in advance, and technically races do not qualify--I have to ask for an exception each time. Anything on top of that is unpaid and may or may not be approved. I used all my leave this school year to go to Worlds in September--that's put a big constraint on my racing! Basically, I do races that I can make it to. My choice is pretty limited!

This year would be pretty typical--planning two sprint-type races (one swim/run, another tri) in February and April, respectively, an Olympic in late July, and two HIM (late June, October). Last year was similar, but with no Oly and three HIM. Most years it is in that range (but three HIM was a first!); some years instead of a HIM have done an "international-distance" event between Oly and HIM. So I think I average about 5-6 races a year. I would love to race more, especially shorter events, but it just doesn't usually work out with my location and job.

2017-01-27 5:09 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Married with 5 kids here, all but 1 living at home. Full time job that has me commuting 3 hours round trip per day on top of 50+ hour work weeks. I typically race in about 3-4 events per year but participate in another 2-3. I try and do at least a 5K and another fun run with my kids each year. This year I have 5 tris scheduled to include 2 HIM's, 1 Full, a sprint, and and international. Bigger year for me and actually more spread out than in the past with racing starting in March and ending with Louisville in October. Logistics play a big part in it for me and nothing besides Louisville and Chatt will entail overnight travel exceeding one night. I travel enough for work but it does have benefits as when I do travel for tri I typically stay for free with my Hilton points and if I have to fly I am usually at least flying with a companion benefit on Delta.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many events? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Why do IM events fill up faster than HIM events?

Started by skipg
Views: 741 Posts: 6

2007-11-26 5:47 PM cgrout

picked my event

Started by wrybosome
Views: 1178 Posts: 6

2004-03-29 9:58 PM wrybosome

After school events/activities with my boys

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1164 Posts: 7

2004-03-29 5:01 PM CLLinIA

What are your event commitments for 2004?

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 1147 Posts: 23

2004-01-26 9:42 AM dhlundblad

Races/events

Started by dennis
Views: 964 Posts: 2

2003-11-07 6:33 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : October 4, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
I was filled with anticipation for this event, as it was the first in what I hoped would be many triathlons, and I had no idea how I'd do.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.
date : November 27, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Know that base training is not a component of training that is going to necessarily make you faster, but it will make you stronger and give you more endurance to last through the longer races.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Your training schedule should be based completely on the hours you have available to train, not necessarily on the number of hours you "need" to train.