Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-28 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: Muskoka 70.3
Not a lot of activity in the Ontario forum, or BT for that matter... Any one signing up for Muskoka this year? I see they have a new venue.

Edited by jspelay 2017-01-28 10:23 PM

2017-01-29 4:38 PM
in reply to: jspelay

User image

Subject: RE: Muskoka 70.3
I'm going to try my first half at the Barrelman. I'm figuring I need the whole summer to get into shape.
2017-01-30 10:10 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by b2run I'm going to try my first half at the Barrelman. I'm figuring I need the whole summer to get into shape.

I did my first HIM at Barrelman last year and highly recommend it.  If training goes well and I can avoid injury this summer, I plan to race it again this year.

One year I'd like to try Muskoka 70.3, but really prefer flatter courses and so Barrelman was a good fit.

2017-02-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: jspelay

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario

I am signed up, the start and finish are very close to downtown Huntsville, more spectator friendly. Bike course has had one very hard section removed due to road construction in the area, but the new course will still have enough hills. I like the new start and finish venue.

2017-02-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: runmini

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm in.  I've done the race a number of times and am looking forward to a slightly different bike course and very different run course. Bike is always a beast at this course and while different, it looks challenging as always (and just as long).

2017-02-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by b2run I'm going to try my first half at the Barrelman. I'm figuring I need the whole summer to get into shape.

I am seriously tempted by Barrelman this year. I know the run has some grades to deal with but the idea of the majority of the ride being 1) Flat and 2) Likely wind assisted is tempting. Also the fact that I can drive to the race site in about 20 minutes.

I think the only limiting factors are 1) Getting in shape 2) My wife. We watched the documentary The Summit recently and she equates trying to go 70.3 with me announcing I am going up K2.

2017-02-10 10:52 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by badmo77a

I am seriously tempted by Barrelman this year. I know the run has some grades to deal with but the idea of the majority of the ride being 1) Flat and 2) Likely wind assisted is tempting. Also the fact that I can drive to the race site in about 20 minutes.

I think the only limiting factors are 1) Getting in shape 2) My wife. We watched the documentary The Summit recently and she equates trying to go 70.3 with me announcing I am going up K2.

LOL! How to convince her? Has she been to your races before? Maybe go up to the Muskoka 70.3 to spectate/volunteer and she can see that all ages, body types - even many who do not appear to be super fit (but they can still kill it out there)  It's very inspiring.  That's what my DH always says about Ironman - when you go and see who's out there you know you can do it too. With the right training and determination.  Definitely not like going up a serious mountain like that! 

2017-02-10 2:23 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by juniperjen

LOL! How to convince her? Has she been to your races before? Maybe go up to the Muskoka 70.3 to spectate/volunteer and she can see that all ages, body types - even many who do not appear to be super fit (but they can still kill it out there)  It's very inspiring.  That's what my DH always says about Ironman - when you go and see who's out there you know you can do it too. With the right training and determination.  Definitely not like going up a serious mountain like that! 

She did watch me at Wasaga Beach (olympic) last year. Not so many of the 'it takes all sorts' racing up there, I think put off by the lake swim and it being during school holidays. I don't think I helped things by ending that race looking in terrible pain :-

It is a tough conversations though. I started off with a try-a-tri in 2013 and she has seen me go to sprint, long-sprints and Olympic distance. All poodling along slowly. I think she knows that if I do a 70.3 then there is only 140.6 left after that. And I will find it hard to deny it is tempting. She is tolerant of my hobby while it stays in the category of "regular exercise that helps me stay heart healthy" and does not drift into the zone of "heart attack inducing 6 hour death marches in high humidity".

Tricky.

2017-02-13 1:50 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by juniperjen

She did watch me at Wasaga Beach (olympic) last year. Not so many of the 'it takes all sorts' racing up there, I think put off by the lake swim and it being during school holidays. I don't think I helped things by ending that race looking in terrible pain :-

It is a tough conversations though. I started off with a try-a-tri in 2013 and she has seen me go to sprint, long-sprints and Olympic distance. All poodling along slowly. I think she knows that if I do a 70.3 then there is only 140.6 left after that. And I will find it hard to deny it is tempting. She is tolerant of my hobby while it stays in the category of "regular exercise that helps me stay heart healthy" and does not drift into the zone of "heart attack inducing 6 hour death marches in high humidity".

Tricky.

It is tricky. Best of luck!

It's easier because I met my DH at a Running Room marathon clinic so we each 'get it' but definitely on the tricky side for you ... and it is definitely a slippery slope. Been there! 

The Sister Madonna Buder Nike commercial comes to mind. If an 80-year old nun can do it ... 

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Muskoka 70.3 gearing?

Started by DaveL
Views: 1729 Posts: 8

2011-06-29 9:48 PM DaveL

MUSKOKA 70.3 - Official Ontario Thread Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by jspelay
Views: 36723 Posts: 350

2013-11-19 8:26 AM GoFaster

Muskoka 70.3

Started by Freshjive
Views: 2411 Posts: 23

2009-10-12 11:53 AM mgalanter

Muskoka 70.3 Lodging

Started by getoutside2play
Views: 1073 Posts: 4

2009-08-14 8:24 AM getoutside2play

Muskoka 70.3 - My take on the bike ride

Started by GoFaster
Views: 2678 Posts: 13

2009-09-01 2:14 PM FishHog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Seht
comments : 8
My race from obesity to Vineman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.