General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-31 9:04 AM

Subject: Wetsuit Question
Hello all,

I am almost completely ignorant when it comes to open water swimming as I have only been doing triathlons since the beginning of 2016 and have yet to do an open water swim. Last year I put off buying a wetsuit and decided that this year I was going to commit and try and further my triathlon goals. The wetsuit that I had my eye on all last year was the Zoot Z Force 1.0 which is their entry level wetsuit at $200. Last week I figured I would check out their inventory (they never have size medium in stock) and found out they were having a massive %75 percent off sale! Not surprisingly they didn't have size medium in any of the wetsuits except the most expensive one. This wetsuit ended up being the Zoot Prophet 2.0 and it was on sale for $200, the same price I was going to spend on their entry level wetsuit. Needless to say I jumped on the opportunity to get their best wetsuit dirt cheap but now my question is was that a smart decision? Is a top of the line wetsuit going to be ok for a beginner or should I have stuck with the more entry level wetsuits?

TLDR: Got the top of the line Zoot Prophet 2.0 $675 wetsuit for $200 but since I'm a swim noob should I have stuck with their entry level wetsuits?

2017-01-31 9:21 AM
in reply to: Tterrag8907

Subject: RE: Wetsuit Question
Sorry I just realized this probably should go in the gear section.
2017-01-31 10:59 AM

User image

I did the same deal! Hard to pass up at that price.

I'll preface this by saying that I am an ambassador for ZOOT, but this response is purely about wetsuits in general (I haven't even worn the Prophet yet).

I won't pretend to be a wetsuit guru, but I don't think you should have any regrets for purchasing a top of the line suit. I believe what you will find in the higher end suits is that they restrict your stroke mechanics less than the entry level suits. More range of motion alters your stroke less than a more restrictive suit. So continue to work on your stroke mechanics, form, body position, etc. and don't think twice about the suit.

On a side note, be sure you put it on properly! My first swim in my mid-level TYR suit I thought my shoulders were going to fall off they hurt so bad. Turns out I didn't have it pulled up into my armpits enough and it straight wore me out.
2017-01-31 7:54 PM
in reply to: tjones2k9

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Buying better equipment is never a bad idea as long as you don't overpay and $200 for a high quality suit is a great deal. With that said, how does that wetsuit fit?
2017-01-31 8:15 PM
in reply to: #5212074

Yeah it was such a good deal I couldn't resist. I got the wet suit in today and tried it on and it fit pretty good. I'm 5'6 and 170 so I'm at the small size in height but the medium size in weight so I went with medium. I feel like it fits a little longer than it would on most people but it's snug and feels good. I probably won't be able to get in the water with it for a couple months as its still cold but from what I could tell it seemed like a good fit.
2017-02-01 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Tterrag8907

I got the wet suit in today and tried it on and it fit pretty good.

Lucky you. Mine's seemed to have shrunk over the winter. For some reason it started shrinking right after Thanksgiving.

2017-02-04 5:55 AM
in reply to: #5212162

User image

Franklin, TN
You can try it out in the pool right now. Just rinse it out when you're done. It sounds like you may need to trim the arms and legs a little...no big deal since suits are designed to allow for that (up to a certain point). A few hundred yards in the pool will let you know about the fit/feel.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit question

Started by MUL98
Views: 705 Posts: 2

2004-05-14 9:41 AM Hermom

One Last Wetsuit Question

Started by MUL98
Views: 683 Posts: 3

2004-04-22 10:54 AM Sirvelo

Another Wetsuit Question

Started by MUL98
Views: 867 Posts: 3

2004-04-21 4:21 PM westfried

Wetsuit Question

Started by langell
Views: 911 Posts: 4

2004-04-24 12:05 AM crpadiem

Wetsuit question

Started by MUL98
Views: 1214 Posts: 14

2004-04-21 8:28 AM MUL98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!

date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.