United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Eat Oatmeal, drink coffee. Ate half of a Baker Breakfast cookie and drank some ZIPPFIZZ electrolyte drink.
Event warmup:

Pump up tires, lube the chain, rode up and back on the road to make sure gears shifted properly, spun tires to make sure tires didn't rub on brakes.
Bike
  • 2h 23m 49s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 10.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Morning wake up weigh in had me at 216lbs. Argggg! Knew that was going to be a factor on the climb...Started out in the back 1/3 of Recreation riders. Figure to start out easy and pick off all the Jackrabbits. The first climb about a half mile out of Glacier, I got stuck in the big ring and had to grind. Watched a bunch of people that were shifting under strain and throwing their chains off the rings.

Got into the aero position on the downhills and passed some, so the first 4 miles were ok, than the first long climb put a burn on me....Went down to the lowest gear and wished I had my triple. Couldn't get a fast cadence going, had people passing me with sneakers using the old strap in pedals.
Just kept repeating to myself that I'm in a different age bracket and I'm a CLYDESDALE big time today.
Had some flat area around the 10 mile area, ate a Powergel and kept drinking ZippFizz. I never ride in a pack, either left behind or I leave people. I'm a Lone Wolf Rider/runner(?)

Started up the final climb using the lowest two gears (not much difference in the feel) but it felt better if I got out of the saddle.

They had a 8 year old kid riding the route, started an hour before the Rec Division (dad owns a Bandito Burritos restaurant and a big time bike rider & sponsor) I passed them around the 16 mile mark. He did finish.

Got up to the final 5 KM to go signs, and kept trying to figure out how many miles that was. Plus I knew there were some serious switchbacks coming up. Had an old guy that had passed me but he would never move to the right, hogged the road (noticed alot of this, people riding in the middle of the road)
Just kept pumping at the pedals, saw my wife at the final climb, tried to smile, but I was toast. Harder than last year, time was also slower.
What would you do differently?:

Loose weight, train harder on some climbs. Afterwards I kept thinking of how I kept thinking of pacing and not blowing up by going all out? Couple times when making the turns on the switchbacks, had the feeling of "crap I can barely turn the pedals over" plus my back was tighting up. I was doing alot of rocking of the body to get momentum.

Need to re-evaluate a training program if I ride this next year. LTS owner who is also doing IM Canada next year said that is the training ride to prepare for Canada. Oh Joy!

Post race
Warm down:

Smootched wife and petted the dog who was all hyper. Took some pictures and slipped in the snow bank an felt like I stretched a groin/butt muscle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, lack of training (Quality/Quanity and type-more long hill grinds?)
Gearing?
Want to do better If I do this again. Be more aggressive, but concerns about the blow up is spooky.

Event comments:

4th year of event, only the second year was a rainy one. I think they had at least 500 riders (said on website that was the limit and they had that many signed up).

Pretty cool to see alot of different bikes and bike kits.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Biking
02:23:49 | 24.5 miles | 10.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
160 HR average, Max was 180 (not sure when or where)
Wind: Little
Course: Point to Point, starting in a small little ski town called Glacier and ending up at Artist Point on HWY 542 in the shadow of Mt Baker. A 6% climb 4 miles from the start that can really burn you out. Some downhills that get the HR down but around 13 miles you start to do the final climb at about 5% with alot of switchbacks. No Relief, just grinding away uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-10 11:04 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb

2006-09-11 9:07 AM
in reply to: #535939

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb
2006-09-11 2:25 PM
in reply to: #535939

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb
I admire you for doing this race. I know I would never have finished. It is a really tough course. Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb Rss Feed