General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seat Position? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-11 6:54 AM

Northern Virginia
Subject: Seat Position?
I was on the hateful stationary bike this morning, just about dying through my 2nd triathlon training workout ever, and my knees started to get sore. Was my seat too low? Any suggestions?

Don't worry...sarcasm & bitterness are just how I motivate myself. I'm actually proud that today, I managed a whole THIRTY MINTUES instead of 25 like last week.

2006-09-11 9:02 AM
in reply to: #535995

User image

Subject: RE: Seat Position?
2x4nomore - 2006-09-11 7:54 AM

I was on the hateful stationary bike this morning, just about dying through my 2nd triathlon training workout ever, and my knees started to get sore. Was my seat too low? Any suggestions?

Don't worry...sarcasm & bitterness are just how I motivate myself. I'm actually proud that today, I managed a whole THIRTY MINTUES instead of 25 like last week.

If your knees are coming too high then it could be your seat and/or handlebars if they are adjustable. I'd take a look at some web resources on body positioning. Generally I think you want a 10 degree bend in your knee at the bottom of your stroke, so try to keep that in mind when you jump on. Since I only do spinning now I used this sheet when I was first starting up: http://media.godashboard.com/spinning/Bike_Setup.pdf

Also keep in mind that you could have a perfect bike setup but still experience knee pain if you're pushing too much gear. Don't overload your joints too fast, especially if you're just getting into bike workouts. There's no better way to burn out than to get injured.
2006-09-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: #536131

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA

Peter, thanks for providing that link, it looks to be helpful.

All, I am going to my first spinning class at lunch today (don't tell the boss!) and I just started thinking that I should take some measurements from my road bike and try to duplicate them on the spinning bike.  Does this approach make sense?  Has anyone had any success and/or problems doing this?

2006-09-11 10:08 AM
in reply to: #536188

User image

swadland - 2006-09-11 10:42 AM

going to my first spinning class

For the first one I would introduce myself to the instructor, tell him/her this is my first class, and have her set up my bike for me. You can adjust from there if it isn't comfortable. I'm not experienced with road bikes so I don't know if your bike setup would translate perfectly to the spin bike, but at a base level I'd assume the fundamentals are the same.
2006-09-11 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

I find that my knees ache after riding with my seat position too far back.

2006-09-11 12:02 PM

Northern Virginia
Thanks for the suggestions and link, everyone. More questions to come during the next several months!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seat Position? Rss Feed