Parker, Colorado
United States
Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Total Time = 1h 18m 41s
Overall Rank = 63/215
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/59
Pre-race routine:

Got up gathered my stuff and headed for the car. At a PB&J and took one for the road as I knew my swim wouldn't start for many hours. Got to transition at 5:15. And set up about 5:45 (in the dark). My swim heat was #12 scheduled for 10:05. This turned into about 10:20 or so. Man that's a long time to wait.
Event warmup:

Walked around and talked with Josh, Rob, Zev and Curtis. Everyone seemed pretty excited. Also saw an old Fraternity buddy and a guy I went to Elementry, Jr. High and High school with. Pretty cool. Everywhere I looked I saw people. Also ran into Julia who was there to support her husband Chris. Ate a bagel and drank a lot. Did some light stretching and jogged around the parking lot. Then about 15 min. before my swim I hopped in the pool and did some quick laps to warm up.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I was really looking forward to this swim as my swimming did improve some this year. First 25, my goggles filled up with water. When I adjusted them at 50 yrds, the strap broke. Very chlorinated pool, and had a hard time seeing the rest of the way. Kind of threw me off. Oh well things happen must adapt. Once this happened, I had to let one person pass me, which then resulted in more people passing me since in the pool, your all crammed together. Projected 9:00, finished in about 10:00 and then had at least a minute run to transition. They need to move the tranistion area closer, it's a long way off
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I couldn't prevent the goggles thing. They were fine in warm-up, things just happen. Work on swim over the winter and get faster and more endurance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

The transition area is quite a ways from the pool, so I left an extra pair of shoes just outside the pool. I didn't get into them well, but it did help me pass a few people running to the Transition area. Sat down and got my socks on shoes on and helmet and glasses no problem and off I went.

Next year I need to try running without socks. If I can, then I can skip that part. I also want to practice leaving my shoes on the bike. (Something for next year).
Bike
  • 37m 44s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode pretty well. I've done better, but didn't train enough for this race. Still pretty happy with the result. There was some wind on the way out. But I was o.k. with this knowing that I could pick it up on the way back. Really climbed well on the one big (steep but short) hill.

Train more, but overall I was happy and made up some time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This was a good transition for me. I was well organized, though could have been faster.

Always struggle with do I really rush my transition or use it a little bit to catch my breath. Hmmmmm.
Run
  • 27m 37s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't been training and questioned myself on the way out. It was slightly uphill going out and downhill coming back. Had a girl jump in front of me while I was passing her, but in her defense, there was a small (I think bull snake) snake crossing in front of her. I felt bad because I questioned what she was doing, but I said "oh, sorry didn't see that" and kept on trucking.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to the BTr's had some food and waited around to see if I could win the bike. Didn't happen....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

New baby and lack of training. But wouldn't change a thing. My schedule and training should get a little better now in the off season, and my wife is very understanding of my goals and ambitions to do better, so next season should be good!!!

Event comments:

This is a good race, and I heard that they are building a Resivior in Parker where the race would be held next year. If this happens I'll be there, otherwise I may look for new events to try. It was great seeing all the BTr's. It is so nice to recognize people at the races and not just stand around alone. This site is great, and I am so happy to have found all the great people here who make this sport so much fun. O.k. enough with the love fest. Thanks to everyone this year and now on to the off-season.

Last updated: 2006-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 500 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/59
Overall: 76/215
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: This is a pool swim with 5 people per lane. Not much fun after OWS all year. :)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:44 | 13 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/59
Overall: 44/215
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: This is an out and back course. Some hills, but not too bad. I like this course a lot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:37 | 03 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/59
Overall: 91/215
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on a concrete winding trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-11 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Fall Frenzy Triathlon

2006-09-11 9:13 AM
in reply to: #536021

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Looks like a great race.  I showed up later to watch the awards, you must have gone home by then.  Great season.
2006-09-11 9:47 PM
in reply to: #536145

User image

Master
Denver
Geez, I wish I could chill and break 1:20 !! !! You are inspiring, even if you don't train....a great role model either way.

Yesterday was a lot of fun (and work), and it was much easier being there with friends.
2006-09-11 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Way to go Dan. I had alot of fun with you at the race. Next year we will train harder and kick some more butt.
2006-09-12 6:57 AM
in reply to: #537242

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Z-dog - 2006-09-11 8:47 PM

Geez, I wish I could chill and break 1:20 !! !! You are inspiring, even if you don't train....a great role model either way.

Yesterday was a lot of fun (and work), and it was much easier being there with friends.

It should be noted that I do like to train, but this whole new kid thing... Just wait til next year...
2006-09-12 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Good Job on your race! Your T1 was great and your bike was quick!  One bit of advice...next time, gallantly kill the snake with your sneaker, and you'll be that girl's hero forever! It gets you extra karma points for your next run!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Triathlon Rss Feed