General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Endurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-14 8:17 AM

Subject: Swimming Endurance
I need advise on how to increase my swimming endurance. I'm a new swimmer and have taken lessons but can't seem to increase my endurance. Any advice?? How long does it take to get the endurance down so that you can do more than two lengths of a pool?

2017-02-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: DKusaywa

User image

Subject: RE: Swimming Endurance
How many days a week are you swimming now and for how long ? Lessons is a great start. But if you are only swimming one day a week it'll take awhile.
2017-02-14 10:14 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by DKusaywa

I need advise on how to increase my swimming endurance. I'm a new swimmer and have taken lessons but can't seem to increase my endurance. Any advice?? How long does it take to get the endurance down so that you can do more than two lengths of a pool?

I know for me it was just more time in the pool. When I started I was comfortable being in the water but had little to no idea about technique. I joined a masters swim class for a couple of months to help get the basics down. Learning to breathe out, was the biggest obstacle for me. When I left the master group, I began swimming 4 times a week. Just short distances, learning to breathe and relax more. Once I learned to breathe comfortably to one side, I began with technique. The first year I took over 30 seconds off my 100/yd splits. I have since worked on being a bilateral breather. While I've lost some time, I get out of the pool less fatigued.

The best piece of advice I was given was "don't be afraid to breathe every stroke if needed". It's going to take time. Figure out where you struggle and start there. Most of all relax.
2017-02-14 12:00 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Your problem is not endurance.  It's form.  Keep swimming.  As frequently as possible.  And, if possible, keep getting some feedback on your stroke and working on balance, your pull, your kick, etc.  Stick with it.  It will come!

2017-02-14 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5213471

I practiced the techniques from total immersion. For me it was a great way to get started. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. There's not a struggle you'll encounter in the pool that someone on here hasn't experienced.
2017-02-15 7:13 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Hi,
I'm trying to get in the water about 3 times a week. I feel that should be enough but maybe not.

2017-02-15 8:37 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by DKusaywa

Hi,
I'm trying to get in the water about 3 times a week. I feel that should be enough but maybe not.

That is plenty. One thing I've learned is consistency is everything. Stay at it!!! It will get better.
2017-02-16 9:15 PM

User image

Ventura, California

How often are you breathing?

I found I could not increase my endurance as I believed I needed to be 'Bi-lateral' breathing or every 3rd stroke. Once I got comfortable breathing every stroke, my endurance improved almost immediately.

I also practice my breathing on both the left and right side. Its important to be comfortable breathing on either side especially in the ocean where waves/chop may make breathing on only one side uncomfortable.

That and of course, time in the pool practicing technique. Its amazing how technical swimming is, and it pays big dividends on race day. 

Anyways best of luck.

2017-02-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Your problem is not endurance.  It's form.  Keep swimming.  As frequently as possible.  And, if possible, keep getting some feedback on your stroke and working on balance, your pull, your kick, etc.  Stick with it.  It will come!

I agree with this. When I first started swimming for exercise, I was in decent running shape but I remember 10 minutes of laps in the pool would just kill me. I started watching videos on YouTube and I also thought a lot about my stroke outside the pool. I thought about every little thing I could do to reduce drag. I swam about three times a week then.

Fast forward about five years and now I'm a decent swimmer (and my running now sucks but that's a different thread and has more to do with age and bad knees and also bad form I think).

Keep going and keep making micro-adjustments to your form: keep your body straight, breathe with as little head movement as possible, think about high elbow and how that might help your overall form, decide whether a high stroke rate or a slower and long stroke is better for you (try both and you should know- typically tall people tend to go for the long stroke), minimize your kick but keep your legs close to the surface of the water, etc., etc., etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Endurance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim endurance -Swim to increase speed

Started by verga
Views: 1450 Posts: 11

2010-07-14 8:10 PM tkd.teacher

swim endurance

Started by donpett
Views: 1209 Posts: 12

2005-06-16 9:09 AM Hawkeye

swimming endurance..how?

Started by macaco
Views: 1529 Posts: 21

2005-04-21 12:53 PM AdventureBear

Swimming Endurance

Started by riti76
Views: 1595 Posts: 12

2005-02-09 5:16 PM AdventureBear

swimming endurance?

Started by oiprocs1975
Views: 1070 Posts: 20

2004-07-30 8:09 AM Maine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Defining "good fats" in an athlete's diet

date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.