General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-03-04 10:23 PM
in reply to: #5215041

New user
Subject: RE: It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk
No input from the moderators. Not surprised.

2017-03-05 5:26 AM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I always find it humorous when people cite others staying away from forums.....due to how people post. If something someone else posts makes you not want to participate in a forum any longer....just go away. There's no need to give a reason why you're leaving or why you left. Just leave. It's the internet.

That being said......I come here and ask questions, because I recognize several of the folks who respond. I'm looking for advice from folks I know (sorry. That's just being honest). Do I sometimes get really good advice from folks I don't know? Yes. But, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fishing for 2-3 specific fish. As long as they're here, I'll look in from time to time.

Was this place more active a few years back? It certainly was. But, the place also took on a Peyton Place persona (IMO). The fair, unmitigated exchange of ideas was curtailed by tight-knit sub groups feeling threatened any time someone from the outside tried to interject. I don't miss those days.

The "other site" don't stand for such. That's probably why I like it and the tight-knit sub groups don't. I've never understood wanting to silence anyone who disagrees with you. The group think that used to exist here was all about that.

Probably more than was asked.......lol

2017-03-05 6:36 PM

User image

Regular
This will be my 11th year of triathlon and if many of the long time posters are anything like me they just don't have the passion or enthusiasm they once had. When I first found this site I was hooked! I would check in several times a day and though I didn't post a ton I was always reading the latest posts. There were lots of regulars whose names I never see anymore. I assume that many have moved on to other interests and pursuits. I'm not sure of the long term sustainability of triathlon for any one individual. At some point there is definitely a "been there, done that" mind set. While I still enjoy SBR very much, participating in organized events has definitely waned for me. I am looking at some Xterra events as that would be a new wrinkle for me, Bottom line I think interest in the sport (or lack thereof) is a much the reason for the TT drop off as anything.
2017-03-05 8:37 PM

User image

I do like reading new content and using the forums as almost research tool.

I am surprised by the "related posts" at the bottom being so old. It is like they are pulling the oldest first instead of the most recent. Maybe it is just human nature, but if I see a post from 9 years ago and one from 6 months ago, I am going to naturally gravitate toward the newest one.

If those related posts were the newest related posts, I may be more inclined to wander around and read more posts and possibly engage more often, making me more "sticky" on the site. Right now, I don't want to reply to a post from 2009.

This is no different if you go to CNN.com or FoxNews.com. They have related stories that maybe came out yesterday or last week that are related to the story you reading. And it seems like they purge the stories from greater than 1 year ago.

Maybe topics would continue to be asked again and again, but that's OK. A new generation of "experts" will help and it is always interesting to continue to hear different opinions.

I suggested this about 6 months ago, but had no reply.
2017-03-06 1:11 AM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by CBess This will be my 11th year of triathlon and if many of the long time posters are anything like me they just don't have the passion or enthusiasm they once had. When I first found this site I was hooked! I would check in several times a day and though I didn't post a ton I was always reading the latest posts. There were lots of regulars whose names I never see anymore. I assume that many have moved on to other interests and pursuits. I'm not sure of the long term sustainability of triathlon for any one individual. At some point there is definitely a "been there, done that" mind set. While I still enjoy SBR very much, participating in organized events has definitely waned for me. I am looking at some Xterra events as that would be a new wrinkle for me, Bottom line I think interest in the sport (or lack thereof) is a much the reason for the TT drop off as anything.

I raced my first triathlon in 2003, so this is my 15th season. I have a core group of triathlon friends who have been in it as long as I have, but that's probably 5% of the people I've known over the years. It's hard to maintain yourself as a triathlete over that many years.

2017-03-06 7:57 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Moderator, chiming in as requested...
:-)

The site has had a decline in traffic over the years, but in the past two months, for the first time in at least two years, traffic to the site is increased over the same month the previous year. So, according to data, we're on our way up.

When people say the content isn't great ... we concentrate our great content generation efforts on the articles. We have coaches writing articles, we interview experts, etc. Should I post links to the articles in TT? We already email them out and put the little unread article counter next to your username in the top right. I'm open to ideas as to how to get the well-researched, original content in front of more users.

Good suggestion on prioritizing related posts by recent date. I'll work on that.

Also, we did merge the iron distance forum, and a few other lesser-used forums with Tri Talk, to increase the traffic over here and address the problem one person cited about breaking up the users and posts too much. Does anyone have suggestions for more forums to merge?

We're committed to decency and lack of drama. I think it's true more drama leads to more posts and views, but I'd rather have new triathletes feeling enthused rather than embarrassed and defensive, even if it costs us traffic.

2017-03-06 8:09 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Also, I agree that Facebook built a better mouse trap. For sure.
However, when a new triathlete is looking for specific info on a search engine, they aren't usually going to click on a result from Facebook, because it's not a centralized repository on a single subject.

I used to use forums for tons of things back in the early '00s.
Now I stay in touch with this one (but most of my energy is on supporting the site in other ways, including support requests, articles, membership management, advertising setup, race calendar, people needing help with Training Log, etc.);
and the only other two forums I still use are an older one where I met some other new moms, and I still stay in touch, plus one new one for my weird car. (I have an EV car.) The car one is a good example. It's highly specific, highly technical, and I can interface with other smart people who have been up against the same questions and challenges. Much like BT. We're not going to beat Facebook, but I think there is still a place for web forums on specific, complex, technical topics. In those cases, people want a single place where they can find answers to multiple questions and not be made fun of for asking.

I think Facebook replaced the BT forums (especially the state forums) as a place to keep up with friends who share similar interests. But it's harder to find new friends on FB. You can still find people you've never met before, who want to train with you, here on BT in a way you can't on FB. I wish there were more people, though. I'm listening to all of you.
2017-03-06 9:32 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

I would hate to see this particular forum go.

1. I will always be a beginner triathlete. I've been doing them for a couple years. I can crack off a 70.3 with a few months advance warning. I've now spent a couple thousand on stuff. I have more t-shirts and string bags than I can count. Yet...I will always be a beginner.

2. I like coming here. Yes. I tend to fart around a bit and most of my contributions are pathetic attempts to be clever and toss some digital poop like monkeys at the zoo. I think that's what messageboards excel at. Except, here...it's all very lighthearted. Nobody gets too grumpy...which is nice. At least some of you "get me"...which is also nice. It's as close to hanging around decent people in transition or chit chatting with others at the bike shop as you can get. With some decent/relevant discussion thrown in.

3. From a 'sport' level....this is the first place I found when I needed some reassurance that I was welcome in the sport. Aside from dozens of 'impersonal' websites and blogs, this was the first place I ever talked to real triathletes and real people who do triathlon. For conscientious folks like, this place was/is a massively important place for completers, first timers, dabblers, etc. You can read all the websites/blogs/race reports/advice websites in the world....but you don't get real people 'personally welcoming' you to the endeavor of triathlon. I had no clue how many people like me there were in the sport.

Among my chief concerns going into my early racing was "messing up the race" for other people who took it seriously. Secondly, I didn't want to make a fool of myself. I was OK looking like a moron, but I didn't want to be the proverbial guy showing up with earbuds with complete disregard to the norms, social mores, and even....'rules' (both written and unwritten). I would bet that the number of newbs who perfuse this forum on and off in their early days of dipping their foot in the water of tri outnumbers those newbs who bother to post by 20 to 1.

And people like them....and me. We're the lifeblood of the sport. Without us, there's a handful of races a year. There's probably no tri-bikes for under $5k. The only time you'd see sperm helmets is during the Olympics.

Even if there's little traffic on this particular board....it's the simply the best place on the internet a newb...or as the name suggests....beginner triathlete.can post a question and get an answer from a real human being without feeling like you're intruding in some joe-pro sandbox. So, if the traffic is light.....no big deal. As long as there's people who'll come here now and again to reassure the newbs....we're golden. If any in-depth discussion or specialized conversation moves elsewhere on the board....so be it. This is a fantastic place to land for a beginner triathlete.
2017-03-06 10:36 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I still like to browse through this forum every once in awhile. I am no where near as active as I was a few years ago, but I do not think you need to kill this forum. I still pay for the site because I like some of the features you get by paying in!

The only thing I wish they brought back was the fact that it was a lot easier to go to people forums and leaves inspires back in the day. I think once that dropped off, a lot of people backed away.

2017-03-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

New user
Richfield, Minnesota
Totally agree with a lot of what you wrote and I too would hate to see TT go. This is my sixth season and out of a core group of friends who started, I am the only one still racing. It was with that core group that I found BT. BT, its users, and staff helped me avoid all the newbie faux pas and gave me the support I needed starting out. It continues to provide this for me today. Yes there are fewer people consistently posting than back in 2010-2011, but it seems to me things have picked up recently.

Personally I feel the slowdown is the result of other sites allowing people to connect on a local level, i.e. FB & Strava, and people simply moving on from the sport. Like others have posted some of us are still waiting out winter and cold and flu season before we fully jump into things. I know once the weather here consistently gets above 40 I’ll be outside training more and likely have more to post.

I’ll always be a BOP striving for MOP and BT fits my needs. I don’t need the ego fest that is ST, I simply need a friendly environment where new and old can connect, discuss, and share.
2017-03-06 2:27 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by scottficek

I do like reading new content and using the forums as almost research tool.

I am surprised by the "related posts" at the bottom being so old. It is like they are pulling the oldest first instead of the most recent. Maybe it is just human nature, but if I see a post from 9 years ago and one from 6 months ago, I am going to naturally gravitate toward the newest one.

If those related posts were the newest related posts, I may be more inclined to wander around and read more posts and possibly engage more often, making me more "sticky" on the site. Right now, I don't want to reply to a post from 2009.

This is no different if you go to CNN.com or FoxNews.com. They have related stories that maybe came out yesterday or last week that are related to the story you reading. And it seems like they purge the stories from greater than 1 year ago.

Maybe topics would continue to be asked again and again, but that's OK. A new generation of "experts" will help and it is always interesting to continue to hear different opinions.

I suggested this about 6 months ago, but had no reply.

We just made a change to the site. For all new threads, the "related posts" and "related articles" will only be from the past year. Note, this will not change what is displayed for existing threads. Thanks for the suggestion! We all look at different things, and that area has sort of "disappeared" to my eye. Just like when my kids leaves a toy on the table, and then after a day they stop being able to see it there... I appreciate you calling it to my attention.

2017-03-06 4:59 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have been coming here since I started with this sport several years ago. I still check in on a regular basis but don't post as often as I used to. I still post a question every now and then. i also did the mentor group thing for a while.

My bottom line is that for each stage of my growth, this site has helped me. I would hate to see this section go away. Even when I don't post, I do still read and learn.

I do think fewer new people are coming in to the sport, so the volume of posts is down. If I have read the question in one iteration or another and some bright people have chimed in with good answers, I am far less likely today to add on. If I think I have something of value to add, I do.

I don;t know what the answer is. If it isn't of value to you, just read what does provide that.

Just m 2 cents.
2017-03-07 3:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by alicefoellerWe just made a change to the site. For all new threads, the "related posts" and "related articles" will only be from the past year. Note, this will not change what is displayed for existing threads. Thanks for the suggestion! We all look at different things, and that area has sort of "disappeared" to my eye. Just like when my kids leaves a toy on the table, and then after a day they stop being able to see it there... I appreciate you calling it to my attention.

This is a change for the better!  I hated the zombie thread problem, like the CompuTrainer thread the other day.  I took the time to write what I thought was lengthy, informative reply, and then after posting noticed the thread was resurrected from 2010!  I felt both stupid and annoyed.

Edited by brucemorgan 2017-03-07 3:34 AM
2017-03-07 6:37 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

In an effort to be part of the solution...perhaps the moderators or more experienced athletes should post questions or topics for discussion weekly that would be of interest to members, new or old. I'll bet many are either too new, or self-conscious to send in a post. They may need a seed discussion to to get typing. The more experienced need challenges too or I expect they get bored.
2017-03-07 6:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would suggest merging the injuries/health issues forum with TT. I guess in that case it might be more difficult for someone with some medical expertise to moderate but...the few times I have posted on it, I have gotten few to no replies, even over weeks or months. And I don't think I've had any particularly exotic injuries or illnesses to post about. The only time I got replies was when I moved the inquiry to the regular forum. I notice many posts don't have any replies, or at lest legit ones that aren't just ads for a local clinic or something.

As for doing away with TT, please, no! Not all of us have a local tri club or FB circle, or even a local bike shop. Even now, when there technically are those things in Saigon, I can probably count the number of people locally pursuing the sport with any degree of seriousness on my fingers. I know only one other woman locally who is a competitive triathlete. For several years when I was starting out in the sport, there were exactly triathletes here--I know because I once threw a post-race party for all the Saigon athletes and everyone came! I'm sure I'm not the only BT user living and training in relative isolation from other athletes--there are quite a few users overseas and in very rural areas, young parents, people with crazy work schedules who can't get out much to socialize with other triathletes, etc. After six years in the sport, I'm no longer a true beginner (though I think in terms of total number of races done, I might still qualify, and I still make beginner mistakes sometimes), but I really value this forum as a way to hear what other people are up to, get ideas, and advise others when I can.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-03-07 7:00 AM
2017-03-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Smithtown, New York
Hi everyone, I wish to throw my 2 cents in! I was here on BT from 09-12 when traffic was way up and this place was pretty crowded, met a training partner for IMLP here as well! I recently created a new account and am on the manatee mentor group which is seeing a good amount of traffic. I've seen that over the years facebooks population has really risen and is currently peaking. Could there possibly be an option of having a facebook group specifically for BT members? But how would that effect this sites traffic though?

2017-03-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: Limewhite

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by Limewhite

In an effort to be part of the solution...perhaps the moderators or more experienced athletes should post questions or topics for discussion weekly that would be of interest to members, new or old. I'll bet many are either too new, or self-conscious to send in a post. They may need a seed discussion to to get typing. The more experienced need challenges too or I expect they get bored.

Do you think posting the articles, which are often geared toward beginner questions, would help? I've done that with one article this month to see if it might be useful. It feels duplicative, but we put a lot of energy into sources and editing the articles to provide helpful information, yet those who go straight to the forum don't see them.
2017-03-07 9:33 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I would suggest merging the injuries/health issues forum with TT. I guess in that case it might be more difficult for someone with some medical expertise to moderate but...the few times I have posted on it, I have gotten few to no replies, even over weeks or months. And I don't think I've had any particularly exotic injuries or illnesses to post about. The only time I got replies was when I moved the inquiry to the regular forum. I notice many posts don't have any replies, or at lest legit ones that aren't just ads for a local clinic or something.

This is an idea worth considering. The two challenges (not insurmountable ones) I can see are:
1. We have a disclaimer at the top of the Injury forum. How can we creatively make sure people understand they will be receiving amateur advice?
2. We pull three questions each month from the Injury Forum to send to doctors at The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine. The doctors there write three articles each month answering these questions. I try to post the article links in the forum threads, but I am not 100% consistent with it, and it takes a month or more to go from the question to the finalized and formatted answer from the doctors. (These answers/articles also go into the Injury Finder section of the site.)
It would be more difficult to locate the injury questions to send to the doctors each month if they are mixed in with the rest of Tri Talk. Again, not insurmountable.

Thoughts?
2017-03-07 11:18 AM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by Rileyvb91

Could there possibly be an option of having a facebook group specifically for BT members? But how would that effect this sites traffic though?

We do have a Facebook PAGE (of course).
We could have a Facebook GROUP, but I think it would have to be a closed/private group. (If people want to post something publicly, they can already do that on the page.) Having a closed group would require administering that, deciding who gets to join, kicking people out when they post spammy links, etc. These are all tasks we already have to do on the site, and I don't know that we have the capacity to do that. The other thing is, we would be at the mercy of Facebook and their changing platforms and policies.

If all discussion moved to Facebook, we would definitely lose site traffic. Lower traffic makes us less attractive to advertisers. And advertising revenue pays for our ability to have the site here for people to use.

Also the discussions on Facebook will be arranged by date posted and they will always falling down to the bottom, no matter how popular or how much discussion. Our threads pop back up if someone answers it.

So, I'm not sure we could or should do this, but I'm open to hearing more feedback.
2017-03-07 11:49 AM

User image

Pro

Fack Fucebook

2017-03-07 11:50 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
This is my seventh year on BT. Majority of my interactions have been on Triathlon Talk. I spent one year in the Iron Distance forum during my IM training but came back to Tri Talk.

I like others, don't post as often as I did in the past. I try to help newbies since so many helped me in the past but a lot of times someone has already commented / replied with my thoughts or support.

2017-03-07 12:39 PM

User image

Regular
So I'll chime in, and maybe help us get this thread to 3 pages!?!

I like this forum, I like this site, and I love this sport.

I raced my first Sprint in 2012 and it changed my life, I've since completed full iron distance, and everything in between. I don't race as much as I like because work has a way of interfering with that, so when I don't race I honestly don't drop by as much as I would normally.

When I first started in this sport I visited this forum almost daily, soaking up all the advice, lingo, and knowledge that I could. For a guy trying to break into an 'elitist' sport like ours, this website and forum was a huge help. (please don't take offense but we as triathletes can be a bit snobbish) Could smaller group forums fill the same roll, sure, but not in the same way.

I would like to see TT continue and I will continue to post whenever I can add value to the conversation in the hopes that I can someday help a newbie learn, succeed and enjoy this sport as much as I do.
2017-03-07 3:22 PM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Originally posted by Rooster519That's a difficult question to answer, because there is no simple answer. I'm not sure a format change will help make the forums even better. The mentor program confused me a bit and I wasnt sure how to properly use it, or why to expect when I first signed up as part of a group. I also don't think that getting rid or TT is a good option. Before my first tri a few years ago I spent a lot of time searching the forums both here and ST. Earlier this year when I paid and started using the site more I realized how vacant they were, and it was disappointing. I posted a few things but not much sustainable content. I just want more activity. I can only speak for myself in that I don't always search forums for professional advice if you will, but more for opinions of those who have done this before. To read and form an opinion based off of both good and bad advice. What I'm trying to say is the only way this forum gets more active is if we become more active. Kind of like a be the change you want to see, type of thing. I'm sure that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but it's what I have. I enjoy the much about this site already, just wish it was more active.
No, that was what I was looking for.
2017-03-07 4:23 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by CBess

This will be my 11th year of triathlon and if many of the long time posters are anything like me they just don't have the passion or enthusiasm they once had. When I first found this site I was hooked! I would check in several times a day and though I didn't post a ton I was always reading the latest posts. There were lots of regulars whose names I never see anymore. I assume that many have moved on to other interests and pursuits. I'm not sure of the long term sustainability of triathlon for any one individual. At some point there is definitely a "been there, done that" mind set. While I still enjoy SBR very much, participating in organized events has definitely waned for me. I am looking at some Xterra events as that would be a new wrinkle for me, Bottom line I think interest in the sport (or lack thereof) is a much the reason for the TT drop off as anything.

Come over to the dark side! Xterras are a ton of fun. Even the training is fun.
2017-03-07 10:46 PM
in reply to: Dr Oz

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Maybe the state forums could be merged into regional forums.  I don't see many posts at all happening in the Cali forum.  Perhaps other state forums are more active?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

I think it's time we talked about lube...

Started by Blastman
Views: 1884 Posts: 9

2013-07-12 6:14 AM Oysterboy

WTC doing away with mass starts at races - Discuss Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by ChrisM
Views: 10373 Posts: 143

2013-03-21 3:47 PM tri808

Average times are slower and it's time to "restore speed" Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 3127 Posts: 32

2012-11-14 5:18 AM mattramirez

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1842 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Doing Triathlons in a different time zone

Started by iwantotri
Views: 773 Posts: 5

2007-08-28 11:10 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.