United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 31m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and picked up Ryan. Nothing special for this one, just breakfast and coffee.
Event warmup:

None. Got on our bikes and started riding.
Bike
  • 5h 31m
  • 103 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't want to repeat everything Ryan said, so I'll just say it was a fun ride, good level of difficulty with some minor climbs at pretty low pitch. The highlight of the ride was definitely riding paceline with Tyler Hamilton. He's kind of easy to spot since every single thing he wears, and his bike, all say Tyler Hamilton Foundation (and you don't see too many of those around). The paceline was fast, but not insane, and if you stayed tight on someone's wheel it wasn't bad at all. Average for that 10 miles we rode with Tyler Hamilton pace line was probably 27 mph, but that's deceptively fast because drafting in a pack of 10 guys makes 27 relatively easy. Anyway, it's not like he's in Tour de France condition, but it's not like you get a chance to ride with world class cyclists everyday either.

For the rest of the ride, we pretty much relaxed, but tried to keep a steady pace. The burritos at mile 85 were a lifesaver. Last few miles were pretty much a grind, but I didn't have too much touble playing hockey later in the evening.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. We payed for the high speed paceline riding later in the ride, but I wouldn't give up the experience of riding elbow to elbow with Tyler Hamilton.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No training since the season ended, and no specific training for this ride. I just coasted on season fitness to do this one.

Event comments:

Very fun century. A little more expensive than the average century, but I'm a CU alum so I'm happy that it goes to scholarships. Also, not every century starts and ends on the CU campus, which I thought was pretty cool.

Last updated: 2006-09-07 12:00 AM
Biking
05:31:00 | 103 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 easy climbs, rollers throughout.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right