of 2

2017-03-11 10:56 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Wage Gap

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by bootygirl

Originally posted by Rogillio We all know the obvious reasons for the huge gap is because of the types of jobs men and women gravitate to. But, ceteris paribus or all things being equal there is a gap but it is much smaller. Here are a few reasons: 1. Women are willing to work for less and companies know this. So they low-ball them on the job offer and they accept. But if they low-ball men, they are more likely to not accept or counter-offer. 2. Men shamelessly toot their own horns! Good job on that proposal Mac! Thanks! I spent a lot of time on it including working nights and weekends. Good job on that proposal Mary! Oh, it was team effort. We all work on it together. 3. Men are more competitive and will do whatever it takes to claw their way to the top. 4. Men are usually not the primary car giver for children. Need somebody to work till midnight on something you are Mac is more likely to be available than Mary. 5. The men's club. Let's all meet at Kelly's bar after work and drink some beers. Who is in? Mac: I'm in! Mary: Sorry, I have to pick up the kids from day care and take them to dance class. 6. Networking. Company golf tournament this weekend. Who's in? Obviously there are exceptions to all of these but I believe them to be true 'in general'. Lots more reasons too. Men and woman are just different! Women have different talents and skill sets then men. And they'd look foolish at a BOGSA meeting smoking cigars and sipping brandy. Women were not created to do everything a man can do. They were created to do everything a man CAN'T do!

You had some good points, and I was cheering for you.....   Until the end religious patriarchy lingo, which is the problem.  I am amused that this is such a male dominated discussion, but this forums has become a bit of an echo chamber.

The scotch and cigars part is a great part of the many mining conferences/camps/rendezvous in which I participate.   And I assure you that I do not look foolish.

I'm sorry you took offense at my religion and I am sure you don't look foolish at the scotch and cigar rituals. BOGSA is a 'bunch of old guys sitting around' and I'm sure they welcome you into their club but I bet you don't call yourself Bootygirl there. :-) I don't think this forum is an echo chamber when I read the political threads. We have a right wingers and far left liberals and a few moderates...and about the only thing we agreed upon recently is pot.
Don't forget the libertarians.  I can agree with almost everyone on something...and disagree with almost everyone on something.

2017-03-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by Rogillio We all know the obvious reasons for the huge gap is because of the types of jobs men and women gravitate to. But, ceteris paribus or all things being equal there is a gap but it is much smaller. Here are a few reasons: 1. Women are willing to work for less and companies know this. So they low-ball them on the job offer and they accept. But if they low-ball men, they are more likely to not accept or counter-offer. 2. Men shamelessly toot their own horns! Good job on that proposal Mac! Thanks! I spent a lot of time on it including working nights and weekends. Good job on that proposal Mary! Oh, it was team effort. We all work on it together. 3. Men are more competitive and will do whatever it takes to claw their way to the top. 4. Men are usually not the primary car giver for children. Need somebody to work till midnight on something you are Mac is more likely to be available than Mary. 5. The men's club. Let's all meet at Kelly's bar after work and drink some beers. Who is in? Mac: I'm in! Mary: Sorry, I have to pick up the kids from day care and take them to dance class. 6. Networking. Company golf tournament this weekend. Who's in? Obviously there are exceptions to all of these but I believe them to be true 'in general'. Lots more reasons too. Men and woman are just different! Women have different talents and skill sets then men. And they'd look foolish at a BOGSA meeting smoking cigars and sipping brandy. Women were not created to do everything a man can do. They were created to do everything a man CAN'T do!

You had some good points, and I was cheering for you.....   Until the end religious patriarchy lingo, which is the problem.  I am amused that this is such a male dominated discussion, but this forums has become a bit of an echo chamber.

The scotch and cigars part is a great part of the many mining conferences/camps/rendezvous in which I participate.   And I assure you that I do not look foolish.

I'm sorry you took offense at my religion and I am sure you don't look foolish at the scotch and cigar rituals. BOGSA is a 'bunch of old guys sitting around' and I'm sure they welcome you into their club but I bet you don't call yourself Bootygirl there. :-) I don't think this forum is an echo chamber when I read the political threads. We have a right wingers and far left liberals and a few moderates...and about the only thing we agreed upon recently is pot.
Don't forget the libertarians.  I can agree with almost everyone on something...and disagree with almost everyone on something.

I agree.
2017-03-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

I agree.

I disagree

2017-03-12 8:32 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree.

I disagree

Each of you makes a really good point.

2017-03-16 7:02 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

As Stacers mentioned there's more to it than a simple wage gap.  

There's an internet meme that goes around saying something to the effect of "If women do the same work for 30% less, then why don't all companies just hire women?"  It's kind of silly, but there's also some truth to it. 

I'm a business owner of an technology company.  When we post for job openings I'm absolutely stunned at how few women apply for jobs and even more shocked at the ones who apply that have literally zero qualifications and experience.  This isn't because women are dumb or less capable, I feel it's simply because of generations of stereotypes and our government pushing the "women don't succeed in engineering fields" language.  It's an echo chamber that basically makes young high school grads gravitate towards more traditional "women" career fields.

I personally feel that women are better hires than men because the ones I've ran across in the engineering world are the types that buck the system and are out to prove something.  You don't stand in the way of a woman like that because she's going places.  The guys I get half the time are entitled and want to sit around and have everything handed to them.  You know, because they deserve it. 

No matter what the topic, I'm a huge proponent of encouraging everyone to achieve their dreams.  I don't care what race, color, gender, orientation, etc. you are.  You are the only person responsible for your success and go get it.  When large organizations and political leaders tell people they can't succeed because you're a "X" then people start to believe it and don't even try.

2017-03-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
nm

Edited by Rogillio 2017-03-17 10:03 AM

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Wage Gap Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS