General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim gear question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-27 6:44 PM

Subject: swim gear question
Hi all,

I am just getting back into Triathlons, and focusing most of my efforts on swimming right now. I am hoping to find some advice here to help me become more efficient. My main problem right now is that my hips and legs are sinking. From what I've read and seen in training videos it seems the most common cause of this is head position. I plan on working a lot on drills to help this, but I am also wondering with swim trunks make a difference. I have been training in board shorts, and I'm wondering if a pair of jammers would help reduce drag and therefore the sinking effect on my hips and legs. The only experience I have swimming with anything other than board shorts was in my first triathlon, a 70.3, and I cut my swim time in half due to added buoyancy from the my wetsuit. So, I am thinking that if the full body wetsuit can help that much, jammers may be worth the investment to help my form.

Thank you in advance for any input!

2017-03-28 7:09 AM
in reply to: martelbd1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: swim gear question

Board shorts are a killer in the water!  Definitely switch to jammers - it won't magically solve your issues with form but it will at least remove one of the things that is working against you.

2017-03-28 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Funky Trunks.Com bro
2017-03-29 10:22 PM

Thanks guys! jammers are on order! hopefully it helps a bit, certainly can't hurt!
2017-03-30 6:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Switching from board shorts to jammers isn't going to magically fix you body position issues, but it's not gonna hurt.

FWIW, head position is a good place to start, but you'll also need to learn to engage your core muscles while you swim. Depending on your baseline core strength, you may benefit from dry land core strength exercises.

Edited by gary p 2017-03-30 6:49 PM
2017-04-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: gary p

One of the cues that I've found helpful in fixing head position in freestyle is to imagine yourself swimming "downhill."

Swimming with a snorkel can really help you out as well. Do it long course the first time you give it a shot so that you can have adequate time to find rhythm in your stroke (plus turning the first time with a snorkel is a little intimidating for swimmers new to them). While this page is written out with swimmers in mind, the benefits to using a snorkel are applicable to tri athletes: https://www.yourswimlog.com/benefits-training-swim-snorkel/

2017-04-07 10:09 AM
in reply to: jessicarandall

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by jessicarandall

One of the cues that I've found helpful in fixing head position in freestyle is to imagine yourself swimming "downhill."

Swimming with a snorkel can really help you out as well. Do it long course the first time you give it a shot so that you can have adequate time to find rhythm in your stroke (plus turning the first time with a snorkel is a little intimidating for swimmers new to them). While this page is written out with swimmers in mind, the benefits to using a snorkel are applicable to tri athletes: https://www.yourswimlog.com/benefits-training-swim-snorkel/

Agree with this but be careful as when I first thinking and trying to implement this I ended up with a plunged head and not really swimming downhill. Very easy to just "dunk" your head more but that is really not what you are trying to accomplish.
2017-04-07 12:26 PM
in reply to: dandr614

Did you plunge your head to the point that you were looking backwards?

So maybe a better cue would be to imagine yourself swimming downhill without your chin hitting your chest?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim gear question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim technique question (rotation)

Started by mcmanusclan5
Views: 676 Posts: 2

2017-02-15 12:47 PM Goggles Pizzano

Swim tracker question for Tethered Swimming

Started by dnewman84
Views: 2347 Posts: 4

2016-08-15 8:52 AM dnewman84

Specific breathing question-swimming

Started by Burchib
Views: 1177 Posts: 10

2016-07-14 12:50 PM Goggles Pizzano

Hey swimming gurus.....I have a couple questions

Started by nc452010
Views: 1358 Posts: 12

2016-06-02 2:50 PM jckcrlln

Training plan swim question

Started by KTLiz
Views: 1125 Posts: 8

2016-05-02 11:57 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!