General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Las Vegas Triathlon Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-01 11:27 PM

Subject: Las Vegas Triathlon Newbie
Doing this race end of September. Technically this will be my 3rd sprint but, I feel like I am starting all over after a few years of inactivity and consider myself a beginner. Decided to become a member and try customizing a plan. Will be starting myself from the couch to Sprint. Any tips and support, as well as nutrition advice welcome. If there are any others training for this race, let's share and motivate!

2017-04-02 7:29 AM
in reply to: #5217404

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Triathlon Newbie
Welcome and good luck! I would say consistency is key in getting ready for your race. It's a long road, so make sure your plan is reasonable (time commitment, effort, etc) and try your best to stick to it because once your start skipping them it is a slippery slope your are headed down. Remember the hardest part of most workouts is that split second decision you make to either do it or not. Also trust the process and stick to your plan - no need to add that extra 10 minutes or sprints because your are feeling good that day and want to get some extra fitness.

And most importantly, have fun and enjoy the journey!
2017-04-10 2:02 PM
in reply to: nfp105

Thank you so much for your advice!! I will definitely follow it. I actually was doing a run workout and felt like I wanted to do more but I refrained. I was telling myself I need to stick to the plan. Customizing my plan and being six months out starts me off very slow. Added weight training and needed to have more detailed workouts when it comes to swim and bike. Based on my first triathlons, paying more attention to HR zones and nutrition.

I am also curious as I would like to hear about other triathlons out there. How are triathlons in your area? Beauty, difficulty, sport organization, etc.

2017-04-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: nfp105

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Also pay attention to quality sleep and listening to your body. If you're not feeling too good during a workout, don't feel guilty by going an a guilty paced effort. Hopefully, those days don't happen often.
2017-04-12 11:20 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
FYI the Las Vegas Triathlon is a poorly supported race. You need to bring your own water and food. This is less of an issue for a sprint, but pretty important for the HIM. With temps at around 105F and water stations about 3 miles apart you really need to bring 12 to 24 oz of water on you for the run. This is not as much of an issue on the bike. Also they break down the bike stands really early taking your bike and laying on the ground removing the bike stands even if you podium. After race food/drinks are nonexistant for the HIM, but might be ok for the sprint.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Las Vegas Triathlon Newbie Rss Feed