General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 21s
Overall Rank = 793/1400
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 118/198
Pre-race routine:

Got there early and set-up the transition area. Prayed that the surf would quiet down which only seemed to make it get bigger. Had some liquids.
Event warmup:

Quick jog. Some stretching. Played in the water. Tried to relax.
Swim
  • 35m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have never run from the beach into the water. On the practice, I would wade in and take my time. I stayed to the outside to avoid getting trampled. Just stayed in my routine. I was shocked to be passing people since I never thought I would do that.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Was pleasantly surprised. Just will keep working on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Took for ever to get on my gloves. My hands were shaking. But I was happy to be out of the water.

Maybe not use gloves or put them on while biking. Also, I started in a high gear and barely had the energy to move forward. Big mistake.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Enjoyed the bike. Was glad to be out of the water. It seemed uphill the entire way. I lost my energy gels but that seemed to be fine. The last few miles were all uphill and I passed a lot of bikers. My turns were poor and I slowed down quite a bit. Road was uneven and had to pay attention to avoid some holes.

Tape energy gels to bar. Practice riding with the aerobars. Tried it for a bit and swerved all over the place. But my pace was faster than I expected.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I dismounted too early. Better safe than sorry. Was still in bit of a fog and the bike rack was full. Someone said I could use another one. Took a few seconds for the guy to locate my bag since I didn't set up this transition area.

I would know where the dismount was. Wasted some time on that.
Run
  • 52m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow. Didn't realize how hilly downtown Los Angeles is and I live in LA! I walked twice for maybe a minute on the hills -- didn't want to do that but needed to regroup.

Practice more running hills. Wasn't really prepared. Also, I have never ran more than a 10k and doing it at the end of a triathlon is tough. I should have had a run of 9 or 10 miles so 6 wouldn't seem forever. But, I did beat my one time a ran a 10k race by two minutes!
Post race
Warm down:

I was just relieved. Spent a lot of energy and that was the farthest I had ever done the individual distances as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training time. Started 10 weeks prior on a fast-track program. Also, I have never done more than the distances in the race.

Event comments:

Well, this was my first major triathlon so it is hard to rate. But knowing the logistics of Los Angeles, it was pretty incredible. Tons of policemen and traffic officers. It was incredible to ride down major intersections with no traffic. I was pretty beat after but it was fun to shatter my expected time.

Last updated: 2006-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:02 | 1640 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/198
Overall: 0/1400
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science
Course: Loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:23:32 | 24.85 miles | 17.85 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Gentle upgrade and hills at the end. Not much 'free' speed.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:24 | 06.21 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Course: Straight uphill at the beginning. Ouch. Started getting pretty hot too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2 lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-11 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-09-11 1:36 PM
in reply to: #536620

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance
That's a great result. Can't tell you how impressed I am with your run time. The hill on Grand Ave chewed up and spit out lots of us. Looks like you crested and the continued on at a near constant pace.

Thanks for sharing your report.
2006-09-11 1:51 PM
in reply to: #536635

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Xan - 2006-09-11 1:36 PM

That's a great result. Can't tell you how impressed I am with your run time. The hill on Grand Ave chewed up and spit out lots of us. Looks like you crested and the continued on at a near constant pace.

Thanks for sharing your report.

Thanks. That run was much tougher than I expected and I drove in my car the run race! Doesn't seem the same until you actually have to put one foot in front of the other after having completed the swim and bike.

Running into Staples Center was awesome. I have never been part of an event like that.

My wife and my mom were both in shock that I did something like that and the magnitude of the event itself.

What is next on your plate?

Cheers
2006-09-11 1:56 PM
in reply to: #536652

User image

Expert
Central New York
I'm going out to Death Valley at the end of October for a century ride. Tried it in the spring and bowed out at mile 87 with nausea/headache/chills. Hope to do a bit beter with hydration/nutrition this time around.

Not sure about the tri calendar. I'm hesitant to call it quits for the season. Might register for the San Dimas/Bonelli Park Oly on Sept. 30. Long Beach Sprint also sounds like a well run local event.

Edited by Xan 2006-09-11 1:57 PM
2006-09-11 2:09 PM

User image

Wow, first tri, LA Oly with 10 weesk training and go sub 3, I am impressed!

Great race!

And xan, Long Beach isn't bad, the swim is kind of gross but super easy (no waves at all).  The bike is mostly flat, couple rises, but lots of wide flat downhills, and the run is all flat.

2006-09-11 4:21 PM
in reply to: #536688

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
ChrisM - 2006-09-11 2:09 PM

Great race!

And xan, Long Beach isn't bad, the swim is kind of gross but super easy (no waves at all).  The bike is mostly flat, couple rises, but lots of wide flat downhills, and the run is all flat.

Where is your race report Chris?

2006-09-11 5:18 PM
in reply to: #536887

User image

GolfMark - 2006-09-11 2:21 PM
ChrisM - 2006-09-11 2:09 PM

Great race!

Where is your race report Chris?

Hopefully tonight.  I have to say I am impressed with the accenture immediate posting of times and splits.

Edited by ChrisM 2006-09-11 5:19 PM
2006-09-12 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Your times and your commitment in 10 weeks to do an Olympic is impressive. GREAT JOB! Hope to see you at a race sometime!

Glenn
2006-09-14 12:18 PM

You rocked that run! Suhweet! I wish I could of done that well with just 10 wks of training. Can't wait til next Tri Season. Things are pretty quiet here in NC now with Tri's. It's getting too chilly. Yeah, I sit and daydream about my old hood in Cali. I'm thinking of moving back!!
2006-09-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: #541184

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
bridgetnroberts - 2006-09-14 12:18 PM

You rocked that run! Suhweet! I wish I could of done that well with just 10 wks of training. Can't wait til next Tri Season. Things are pretty quiet here in NC now with Tri's. It's getting too chilly. Yeah, I sit and daydream about my old hood in Cali. I'm thinking of moving back!!

Thanks. The run was pretty good considering it was the farthest I have ever run in my life. I heard somewhere that you should build up to 50% beyond each individual part but I didn't have the time to do that on a fast-track program (haha).

I have two more tris lined up. Hermosa Beach and Catalina.

I like NC. I am a golfer (duh -- nickname). Last year I was out at Pinehurst in early October and it was still gorgeous.

Good and bad to Los Angeles as you well know.

Cheers
2006-09-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: #538047

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
TriathleteNut - 2006-09-12 12:40 PM

Your times and your commitment in 10 weeks to do an Olympic is impressive. GREAT JOB! Hope to see you at a race sometime!

Glenn

You can meet me at Hermosa or Catalina. Plan on doing both.

Cheers

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed