General Discussion Triathlon Talk » riding downhill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-20 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: riding downhill
As a follow up to my "I'm afraid to crash" thread, how can I safely ride my brakes downhill. Maybe there's no secret to it, but I've looked on youtube and found a few clips that show how to descend with turns. I've got a bunch of straight down hills, no turns. I have sat up to catch the wind, but see that that isn't good for controlling the bike. I've ridden the brake down the whole hill. Will I ruin the bike? Concerned about potholes and possible upcoming turns at the bottom. Thanks.

2017-04-20 8:08 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: riding downhill

The most important safety issue in riding the brakes down hill is to make sure that all your brake hardware is tight and properly adjusted. If your running carbon rims then there maybe  other safety concerns in regards to the rims themselves.

I would learn how to control your speed through intermittent braking instead of just riding them all the way down the hill. I would imagine the length and grade of the downhill would come into play as well. The longer and steeper the hill the more stress you will be putting on the hardware. 

Downhills can be scary, sometimes I rip down them with reckless abandon, sometimes wind conditions, riding position, etc may lead to speed shimmies/wobbles and I am on the binders almost bringing it to a complete stop and then keeping the speed well in check. I have had hills where I reach 52mph, sometimes it gets so sketchy I will not get past 25mph on the same downhill.

The most important thing is to keep your bike in excellent working order. If your not comfortable checking the bike yourself, your local bike shop will be somewhere you want to get your bike checked out every few months. They may also have some sound advice for your downhill adventures.

Glad to hear your out on the bike and tackling the downhill runs

2017-04-21 6:39 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You shouldn't brake the entire time. Better to brake to bleed off speed, then let go (allowing the rims to cool), brake again, as necessary, etc.

Biggest problem I see when descending is sitting up with the hands on the brake hoods. This causes two problems... first, your center of gravity is pretty high, which causes instability. Second, you will never have the same brake power from the hoods as you do from the drops, simply not using the leverage effect. When descending, it's also important that you keep the outside pedal down and pushes on that (which will make sure you're not hitting the pavement and that you steer using your body weight). You should also lean the bike, staying too upright makes it very hard to steer, especially in speed.

Never brake in the middle of the turn, make sure you bleed off the speed before hitting the turn and then let the bike coast through the turn. Start as wide as you can be, aim for the apex, then let the bike drift out again to a point that's about as wide as you entered.

Descending takes practice and people are just naturally good at it. Even if you look at the pro cyclists, some are amazing, some are below average.
2017-04-21 9:48 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nothing clever to say but riding downhill is my favourite kind of riding. much better than uphill.
2017-04-21 7:29 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Ventura, California

Originally posted by audiojan You shouldn't brake the entire time. Better to brake to bleed off speed, then let go (allowing the rims to cool), brake again, as necessary, etc. Biggest problem I see when descending is sitting up with the hands on the brake hoods. This causes two problems... first, your center of gravity is pretty high, which causes instability. Second, you will never have the same brake power from the hoods as you do from the drops, simply not using the leverage effect.

Excellent Points to consider.

Another point to consider when riding in the drops is you have more weight forward over the front wheel leading to increased stability. I get my face right over the front hub almost kissing the handle bars while slightly lifting my butt off the seat with both knees squeezing the top tube, this seems to give me the best stability. Some pro riders will actually sit on the top tube, and that to me is just crazy.

Although I admit high speed downhill descents are abit of an adrenaline junkie rush and the faster you go the more risk and danger you put on yourself. (and others) Such a rush though, ah makes me heart skip a beat and leaves me breathless, love it!

2017-04-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thank you.

2017-04-24 11:53 AM

, California
All good points above. To be clear though, you will not hurt your bike, wheels, or brakes by staying on the brakes on your descents. If you feel uncomfortable with the speed that you're picking up, by all means stay on the brakes and slow down. As mentioned above you don't want to brake through a corner, but from your description these are long straight descents.
2017-04-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: cbr shadow

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by cbr shadow

• .you will not hurt your bike, wheels, or brakes by staying on the brakes on your descents.

• Actually NOT true... you will wear out the brake pads quite quickly and it can cause another couple of issues... first, you have carbon brake surface, you can actually melt the surface, or if nothing else, wear it could way too quickly. Aluminum brake surface can cause the wheels to heat up and wrap. Heat buildup can also cause overinflation resulting in puncture (or blowout). For tubulars, if the heat gets high enough, you can liquify the glue, reducing the adhesion and potentially roll the tire off the rim.

Basically, riding the brakes the entire time is never a good idea.
    2017-04-24 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
    Tacoma, Washington

Descending on a bike fast, especially going in a straight line, IS NOT DANGEROUS and will not hurt you. Of course, if for some reason you and the bike happen to go separate ways on said descent, the potential for greater damage is much higher. It isn't any less "safe", it's just that the consequences of those (very rare) things that can happen is more... harmful. You will be your own worst enemy if you let your brain think about all the remote things that could go wrong. Tension, being tentative, all block the flow and body feel you need to negotiate those hills smoothly (and safely). Learn how to turn on flats and gentle declines, work your confidence up, turn off the negative thoughts, and let it fly!

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » riding downhill Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

3 lap ride.

Started by RoaminBuffalo
    Views: 737 Posts: 4

2016-08-08 6:03 AM Hot Runner

riding in the rain

Started by bnsafe
    Views: 1038 Posts: 15

2016-07-13 8:06 PM Jwse30

New saddle ISM PN 1.1 - 1st ride not soo good