General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting off with a 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-09 2:34 PM

Subject: Starting off with a 70.3
First timer here. Decent athlete. Have run a half marathon before. Never done any tri training til now.

Borrowed a friend's road bike and started swimming and biking in February. Race is May 28 (Goose Pond Island in AL).

Have for the most part stuck to endurance training (meaning I don't do much interval training; just getting in the miles). Have swam the whole 1.2 a couple times and biked 47 miles the other day (longest ride yet). I try to do a little brick run after I ride, but haven't done anything like 40 miles/10 miles or anything.

Not trying to win anything, but would like to finish under 7 hours. My questions for y'all:

1) I'm decent in the pool (2:15/100 or so) but won't get a chance to swim in open water before race day. Any thoughts on making this manageable?

2) I'm clueless as to race-day fueling. I don't want to overdo it, but I know I need the calories both before and during. Any ideas?

3) I did a sprint distance on my own right when I started, and this saturday am doing olympic distance on my own to practice doing all three parts. Then the race is two weeks after that. Think that's enough?

2017-05-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: kirk_4

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Subject: RE: Starting off with a 70.3
I think it's good you're getting a few "practice" races under your belt before you dive right in. A couple of things you might want to consider...
If you can find a race (any distance) in your area , just go to watch it. You'll get some good pointers on setting up in transition and some general Do's and Don'ts.

* Try to get some open water swimming in if you can. Since it doesn't sound like this is going to be possible, you might want to start towards the back and outside of your wave. There's a damn good chance you're going to get kicked around a bit. Just know it's coming and try to deal with it the best you can. Start the swim slowly!

* Nutrition on the bike is key to a 70.3. I blew my first HIM thanks to poor nutrition and overcooking the bike leg. Really, you need to find something that works for you. Try to test a few times before your race. Some people just stick to gels and that's fine. I find I like something with a little more substance when I'm on the bike so I usually grab a few Honey Stinger Waffles. I love those things and they seem to work pretty well as far as getting calories in me. Also some kind of sports drink along with water. They had Heed at my last race so I bought a few packages ahead of time and found I really like it much more than gatoraid.

You sound like you've got a solid background so assuming you don't go all-out on the bike, you should be able to handle the run. Trying to buy an extra 10 minute split on the bike can cost you dearly on the run (yeah, I'm speaking from experience!).

Good luck!
Dave
2017-05-09 5:46 PM
in reply to: #5220032

X2 on my bike leg failing me. I was in pretty good shape going into my first HIM last year and walked almost the entire run. Take in the calories on the bike, but more importantly, have a plan. I did neither and paid dearly.
2017-05-09 7:50 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

You're going to be doing it very unprepared, like I did and there will probably be quite a few things that go wrong. Do you know if the swim is wetsuit legal, is it in the open ocean with the possibility of waves? There are quite a few things that could go wrong on the swim, so I would suggest you get in a swim before the race, do part of the course. Is it rolling starts?

Nutrition wise for me, I have 1 gel before swim, 6 - 7 gels on bike, 2 x bottle electrolyte on bike, 3 gels on the run, plus electrolyte and coke from aid station on the run. That might not work for you and you're not being too ambitious with your goal time, so just aim for some form of carbohydrate on the bike and run. Most beginners don't eat and drink anywhere close to what they should in a 70.3.

2017-05-09 8:14 PM
in reply to: #5220050

New user
1) Practice sighting. No black lines . If possible, swim with others in near proximity , i.e. crowd a lane in your pool on purpose to get used to contact during the swimmer.
2) Nutrition: as a general rule, try 20-30 ounces of fluids per hour and 250-350 calories per hour. However, this is very individual and you must find out what works for you on your longer workouts.
2017-05-09 8:30 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I've only done a couple 70.3's but here are a few thoughts.

1. Plan on getting gassed and/or run over on the swim and treading water for 30 seconds or so to gather yourself (each time). Wear a wetsuit if it's a wetsuit legal race.

2. For fueling, read the guides put out by some of the major nutrition manufacturers like Accelerade, Hammer and Infinit. There are others I'm sure. You don't need to use their products, just get an idea of how much you should take in. One rule of thumb is to take in a third of what you burn. I always went too hard on the bike making it impossible to take in enough calories then walking a lot of the run, most likely because of lack of calories.

3. It sounds like you have all three distances covered. If you take your time, you should have no problem finishing. Don't go for a time, go to have fun and go slow enough to finish strong.

Race transitions will be different from training. Plan to feel a bit off for the first couple of minutes. Take it easy and get your breathing under control before worrying about nutrition and hydration.

Additionally, you might consider looking up YouTube videos on how to set up your transition area. There are some techniques to save you time in transition that are easy to do. You can search blogs for nutrition and transition setups too. There is also a checklist here on BT that lists things you may want to bring. It's helpful to see if there are some things you might be forgetting.

Don't forget the body glide (or some lube) for areas that may chaff and sunscreen of course.

Good Luck!

2017-05-09 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Pace it very conservative. Depending on your speed you might be over 6 hours. My first 70.3 distance race was done on with a longest ride of only 75km (56 miles is 90) and lots of interval work on the swim and run with consistent long runs from October to June. I was also 1 year removed from swimming at the Olympic trials.

1 gel per 30 min plus fluids is the minimum fuel. I would make the bike on your DIY Olympic tri 60km so you have a better idea about fueling. That said I would have only do it as a brick, but since your swim is still novice, swim the 1500m.
2017-05-10 9:59 AM
in reply to: zedzded

Originally posted by zedzded

You're going to be doing it very unprepared, like I did and there will probably be quite a few things that go wrong. Do you know if the swim is wetsuit legal, is it in the open ocean with the possibility of waves? There are quite a few things that could go wrong on the swim, so I would suggest you get in a swim before the race, do part of the course. Is it rolling starts?

It's in a lake. Wetsuit legal but I am not going to invest in one. Just wearing tri shorts and tank.

I plan on taking it easy and outside at the start and finding a lane, then getting in a good rhythm. Not going to stress over losing a couple minutes on the swim.

I have talked to others about nutrition, and it seems to be a key. This weekend I'm going to try out a nutrition strategy on my DIY olympic.

The other thing I should have asked is whether it is worth it for me to buy some cheap clip on aero bars. I've made it this far without them, so part of me thinks I shouldn't worry about it. I know they will probably help with comfort, though.
2017-05-10 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Borrow a wetsuit. Rent a wetsuit. Wear a wetsuit. Practice in your wetsuit.

If you think you're starting out painfully slow (race day).....congrats. You nailed the pacing.

Most people freak out in their first open water tri swim (i sure did). My problem was, I went out too hard (for my ability). Don't be like me.

The rest......you'll figure out. Do not underestimate this swim.
2017-05-12 7:40 AM
in reply to: nc452010

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like I need to ride longer tomorrow (40+) instead of sticking to the olympic distance, just to practice my nutrition.

So, do you guys think I should not worry about the swim and just do something like 40 mi on the bike and 8-9 miles on the run? Sounds like y'all are saying the most important thing with the race two weeks away is to get my nutrition down.

So... to swim, bike and run, or just to bike and run tomorrow.

?
2017-05-12 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
For nutrition, I'll add this.

It is individual, but fuel slow and steady. If you come to the determination that you are going to need 20oz of Gatorade an hour on the bike, I think it is implied, but don't chug 20oz at once! I sent my watch to beep every 15 minutes to remind me to drink a little on the bike.

2017-05-13 11:41 AM
in reply to: #5220057

Thanks for the advice. Decided to do 2 mile run, then 47 mile ride, then 6 mile run today.

Got up early and ate a good breakfast, let it digest, then headed out.

Took two bottles of Heed, one water bottle, a Hammer bar, a honey stinger waffle, and a pack of gel gummies. Just tried some different stuff. Felt much better after I finished. I think I can pretty much eat whatever. None of that stuff seemed to bother me at all.

If that's the biggest training day I have before May 28 (race day), y'all think I'm good to go?
2017-05-19 11:19 AM

After my big brick workout last Saturday, I got a stomach virus that wiped me out for a few days.

Was just able to do a short ride last night and a swim this morning.

I'm feeling better, but not full strength. Would it be better to rest up between now and next Sunday (HIM day)? Or if I'm feeling up to it do another decent brick workout or swim/bike/run together just to work on transitioning?
2017-05-19 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Personally I would rest up and next week if you are up to it, do some short stuff just to keep the bones moving. No workout you are going to do in the last week before the race is going to make you better trained or better prepared than you are right now.

FWIW, I did my HIM on about the same distances you are talking about. I finished, although it was pretty slow due to my slow run and the cold water on the swim - that really did a number on me that I didn't anticipate.
2017-05-19 6:18 PM
in reply to: #5220362

New user
I vote for resting. A few light workouts and lots of rest. If i were you, I would take the swim and bike fairly conservative, and go for it on the second half of the run. Good luck
2017-05-21 3:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

When I got interested in doing a Triathlon 3-1/2 years ago I looked at a bunch of sprint Triathlons, but there was a 70.3/140.6 event in my home town with the start line 10 minutes from my front door that I ended up committing to do as my Triathlon debut.  

I knew that I would need to be better prepared to finish a 70.3 than a Sprint Triathlon so I set goals and went for it.  My younger brother had done two full Ironman races 10 years earlier without any other triathlon experience so I knew that it was possible but that the training had to come first. 

I spent 8 months training for my 70.3.  I had done full Marathons before so I had some idea of what was required for endurance sports but it was still an new experience on race day and until you have been through a race you can't be fulling prepared for everything.  My first race was hard.  It had a very challenging bike course and was very hot on the day of the race.  It wasn't a question of whether I was going to finish or not.  It was just a question of how much it would try me and how long it would take me to finish.  

Things did not go smooth.  I ran into problems on the race course but there was no way I was going to accept a DNF in my first race so I kept pushing until I crossed the finish line.  Finishing felt like winning.  I had no regrets for starting with a 70.3.   I took what I learned from that event and resolved to be faster in the next race.  

My college running coach told me that it takes about 3 years to peak in an endurance event so use your race for experience and don't worry about the time.  The time will come later.  Have fun.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-05-21 4:11 PM

2017-05-28 10:42 PM
in reply to: #5220032

Thanks for the advice.

Finished right at 7 hours. Didn't rush in transitions because we were kind of going as a group.

Open water swim (first time) was interesting. Windy and choppy. Made it fun for the first time.

Bike felt great. Probably didn't eat enough.

Not gonna lie, Run was tough. I had averaged 8:30 miles but ended up with 10:30s on the race.
2017-05-29 7:16 AM

congrats an well done
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting off with a 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Volume for sub 4:20 70.3?

Started by infmjstrimonkey
Views: 5908 Posts: 17

2016-05-23 5:57 PM davejustdave

Door County 70.3 Entry Available

Started by Nussy
Views: 857 Posts: 2

2016-06-07 10:03 PM Nussy

When did Augusta 70.3 sell out this year?

Started by RollTideTri
Views: 1676 Posts: 8

2016-05-17 12:54 PM GAUG3

3 months to Ironman 70.3 enough time?

Started by Busantri
Views: 5035 Posts: 21

2016-06-18 4:14 AM philelmer

Best 70.3 racing shoes???

Started by flyers
Views: 2810 Posts: 12

2017-03-22 10:27 AM goforit