General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wound Management for Lake Water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-16 6:14 PM

Subject: Wound Management for Lake Water
Hello! I'm new to this site and this sport. I have my first OLY on Saturday and my third ever tri. While training today, I took a nasty fall and got major road rash on my right shoulder and elbow. I also lost the nail on my right ring finger. So an MD stitched the nail back on and splinted it for support. He said I should be fine by Saturday for taking the splint off. I'm just really worried about infection.

It seems Tegaderm is the way to go for helping the road rash. But if that doesn't heal or scab by Saturday, any way to keep my shoulder and elbow dry? And how about keeping my finger as dry as humanly possible? Infection could be bad if it got under the nail. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I still really wanna race on Saturday!

2017-05-17 9:06 AM
in reply to: Ron8632

, New York
Subject: RE: Wound Management for Lake Water
Not really sure but what about that liquid skin, looks like clear nail polish. I've used it on small cuts not road rash but it stings and burns pretty good but seems it would create a little bit of a protective layer. Best of luck to you on Saturday!!
2017-05-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: Dsgcobra

User image

Master
Ohio
Second skin, I think that's what it is called. A buddy of mine raced with that on and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm surprised your doc didn't give you a course of antibiotics. You might call and ask for a script to be called into your local pharmacy.
2017-05-17 11:46 AM
in reply to: Ron8632

User image

Get a rubber glove , medical kind - cut the finger off glove and use water proof tape to hold in place.
2017-05-18 9:44 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Get a rubber glove , medical kind - cut the finger off glove and use water proof tape to hold in place.

This, plus the 'nuskin' applied directly to the wound, and get some antibiotics as a precaution.
2017-05-18 11:32 AM
in reply to: #5220579

User image

Abx don't prevent infection. There is no role here. Tegaderm is not likely to stick. Probably no good barrier for your abrasions. Scabs do not protect you.
You are at risk of infection. Your risk is higher in warmer, brackish, or salt water. If you plan to do your race wash well afterward. Greasing up with bacitracin or Neosporin may add some protection.

2017-05-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Temperance, Michigan
This literally happened to me last week after cutting my hand cutting wood (long story). I tried the glove and it was a disaster. Waited about four days and decided on using a glove. Got done swimming and realized the glove had leaked sometime during the swim. No infection though or that I know of, knock on wood. Not my smartest move. Should have just waited to let it heal.
2017-05-18 8:58 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
As long as you aren't swimming in septic effluent I would spend absolutely zero time worrying about this.

People swim all the time with nicks and cuts and rarely get wound infections as a result. I have swam with road rash on several occasions.

I would shower and gently scrub the wounds after the race and apply bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment, but I would be doing that daily whether I had swam/raced or not.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wound Management for Lake Water Rss Feed