General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Protein Supplements Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-16 10:27 PM

Subject: Protein Supplements
I just wanted to ask, are you guys taking protein supplements like whey protein or the likes?

I haven't tried any triathlons, but I tried joining my first marathon (42km) a few months back, and I'm noticing (the people around me as well) that I got very thin. So I was thinking do I need to take protein supplements for muscle gain?

2017-05-17 7:21 AM
in reply to: marzdgzmn

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Protein Supplements
Not sure if being thin has to do with the protein. You have to eat enough to maintain your weight and I would start there.

With that being said, yes I do take whey. Usually a couple of times a day, just added 17grams to oats for breakfast. I prefer Whey Protein Isolate by a GMP (good manufacturer practices) certified producer. Although the company make others flavors I go with O'Natural version. It is about as pure as they come:

Now Whey Protein Isolate: http://amzn.to/2pW7JA2
2017-05-17 7:51 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

I'm eating like 5+ times a day. 3 meals consisting of rice and meat. then I take some snacks through out the day.

What other supplements are you taking? Any other protein based supplements like keratin? or anything else?

When do you take the whey protein? Is it before or after you run/cycle/swim?
2017-05-17 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My guess is you are not eating enough to replace the calories you burn off by running. Not sure where you are training or how much mileage, but running a lot of miles, particularly at hard effort and/or in hot conditions, can suppress appetite for some people for up to several hours. Plus people who are naturally thin probably tend to gravitate to distance running, so quite a few marathoners are skinny people who struggle to keep their weight up.... I find I have less trouble with this as a triathlete than I did when just running--swimming tends to stimulate my appetite! Not much bigger but more of it is muscle and I eat a lot more, maybe because you tend to do more total training volume with three sports than one.

I would try working out approximately how many calories you need given your body size, gender, general activity level, and training, and use an app like My Fitness Pal to make sure you are eating close to that amount. If finding time to eat is a problem, adding more foods that are dense in calories but healthy, like nuts, dried fruit, nut butter, and whole grains, can be helpful. I'm a teacher who often has limited time to eat lunch--I'm doing the opposite of people on a diet, trying to locate the max number of calories I can eat in 10-15 minutes! As much as possible, I try to make those healthy calories but....if you're naturally thin and training hard, you can afford the occasional "treat"--probably better than training on too few calories, which can impair recovery. They're not a regular part of my diet, but if I'm craving cheesecake, french fries, or chocolate, I'm going to have some!

Protein supplements can be useful for recovery in situations where you don't have time or don't feel like eating a proper meal in the 30-60 minute "window" where it is most useful for your body after a workout. I tend to use them (stirring into smoothies) after a hard or long run in the heat, when I just don't feel like eating and can't get the calories or protein down any other way, or if I want to eat later (for example, meeting a friend for brunch a few hours after a long ride). I don't often use them when not living in the tropics; occasionally after a race if a recovery drink is available, because I find it easier to eat a recovery snack or meal with real food. In general, you want to get your calories, protein, and other nutrients mainly from real food, not processed supplements.
2017-05-17 10:22 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Do you drink your protein supplements before, on, or after training?
And do you do it when swimming/running/cycling? or do you just do it when swimming as it is the most exhaustive one?
2017-05-18 4:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
After training. Most aren't meant to be taken before or during--too hard to digest. I would take them after a harder/longer workout. More likely after a hard ride or run (for the reason above--because of the heat, it can be hard for me to eat right away), but also after a harder/longer swim workout if I can't or don't want to eat a snack or meal within 30-60 minutes of finishing the workout.

2017-05-20 11:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Can anyone recommend a good whey protein isolate brand?
I'm a bit of a lactose intolerant so I'd prefer the isolate one as it doesn't or contains minimal lactose. Thanks in advance.

I've also read that there would be bad side effects if we consume too much protein like kidney or liver failure, etc. Hmm, any thoughts?

Edited by marzdgzmn 2017-05-21 12:09 AM
2017-05-22 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marzdgzmnI've also read that there would be bad side effects if we consume too much protein like kidney or liver failure, etc. Hmm, any thoughts?

There are reasonably established guidelines for recommended daily grams of protein intake per pound of your body weight. I am not qualified to recommend but some quick internet searching should give you a nice spectrum of data from which to tailor something for yourself. Good luck!

Edited by kalish 2017-05-22 11:27 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Protein Supplements Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 29, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Highlights of the latest 2016 sports nutrition findings

date : June 30, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Did you know marathoners and bodybuilders need about the same amount of protein?