General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and running lagging behind cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-17 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Swimming and running lagging behind cycling

Just a quick question; I have been away from triathlons for around 8 years now. Getting back into it and my running and swimming abilities are lagging behind my cycling. Would it be beneficial to swim and run 4x a week and cycle only 2x a week in order to bring them up to par? Or will they eventually catch up? Right now I am doing about 3x each discipline each week. Sometimes I will get an extra session of one or two of them.

2017-05-18 3:48 PM
in reply to: agrem20

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Swimming and running lagging behind cycling
2017-05-19 9:34 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Swimming and running lagging behind cycling

That is yes to the 4X swim and run plan.  The swim and run will catch up a lot faster if you put more time into them than if you stick with the balanced approach.  

My problem is that my cycling and swimming lag behind my running.  I was doing double my race distance each week in each discipline with three sessions in each area (Two short and one long work out in each).  I went on a four month bike focus when I did 4 sessions on the bike a week (three short one long) and 2 running sessions that we active recovery (both short).  With the bike focus I saw a lot of improvement in that area.  After the bike focus I went back to a three sessions in every sport and my run jumped right back to where I left off in just a few weeks and I was able to maintain all the gain on the bike.  I now am doing 2 swim sessions a week but have increased the volume from from 2 time my race distance to 3 times my race distance so each swim session is 150% race distance. rather than 65-70% the race distance.  The swim is improving.  

So... I started at 2 time my race distance in every sport over three sessions.  I now have dropped my running by 25% and increased my swimming by 50%.  When I was doing my bike focus the running dropped by about 50%.  I don't think that my bike and swimming would have progress as much as they have if I had kept everything at 2x the race distance and a three sessions each a week.  My running hasn't been hurt at all.  It comes easiest to me so it has kept up with less training required in that area.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming and running lagging behind cycling Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling Hit and Run Accidents

Started by CyGotchaBags
Views: 686 Posts: 2

2016-10-22 6:23 PM briderdt

Swim, bike, run @ TriChallenge Mamaia 2016

Started by trichallengero
Views: 776 Posts: 1

2016-08-19 7:13 AM trichallengero

Swimming improving, running slowing?!

Started by JenP
Views: 735 Posts: 1

2016-08-09 10:45 AM JenP

behind the seat hydration

Started by dworth
Views: 1227 Posts: 9

2016-05-31 10:22 AM triathlonpal07

IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run

Started by Tootshibbard
Views: 1041 Posts: 4

2016-05-22 2:15 PM miamiamy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Recovery foods and fluids for cycling and triathlon