General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon dreams/nightmares Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-19 10:46 AM

Subject: Triathlon dreams/nightmares
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has them.

You know....arriving really late for transition. Realizing you were going to have do the bike leg in flip flops. Getting lost on the run. Running the race of lifetime, only to find that the very last part of the run goes through a multi-story building and you get turned around in the hallways and wind up at a dead end hallway in front of a locked door...
And then you wake up and pee. Well, at least for the 40+ year old dudes who can't go 7-8 hours without, ya know.

I had them about schoolwork all the time.
You know dreaming that you're a senior and you're one PE credit shy of the grad requirement and you're not registered? (My case, not so much a dream, but a reality, but there were ways)....
I've had them fairly frequently when work is causing some anxiousness. Not anxiety. Anxiousness.

I have a race coming up Sunday. One I was not at all prepared for last year. To the point I kept thinking it was "3 weeks from now" until I got the email reminder on Wednesday about packet pickup. But am this year. Even tested out the bike rack on my new car. I'm not in a fitness lull like I was last year.

Had one last night. Except it wasn't about tri. It was about another thing I do which is somewhat similar, just music related. Competition focused. Lots of 'training'/prepping. Lots of gear to have to remember. Etc. etc.

Oddly, I've never had those kinds of dreams about that pursuit of mine.

I gotta believe my brain isn't the only one that works this way.

2017-05-19 11:12 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Triathlon dreams/nightmares
All of the above:

Dreaming of showing up late seeing everyone already coming out of the water. Getting lost. Not being able to swim, bike or run...just not having any coordination, or strength, etc.

I also have the ones about school. It's always senior year in college and I'm towards the end of the semester and I hadn't shown up for class in weeks or months and I am totally lost.

Being an ex smoker who REALLY struggled to quit, I have those dreams as well. That I started smoking again and can't quit and I'm really upset at myslef.

I've been out of college for over 15 years, haven't had a cigarette in 10 and have yet to show up to a race late or get lost, but I still have those dreams on the regular.
2017-05-19 11:53 AM

User image

Lots of people get them. The ones I've had are late to swim start, hectic. Having to go back home because I forgot bike and then being late, frustrated with sometimes missing race. Last is finishing swim and not having a bike. I can vividly remember one which started as a beach / bay swim with lots of rope corrals and flag ropes. Swim finished on the opposite side of a cove , swimming down lane lined rows to a floating doc. Which led to a boat shed like dock where you had to find your way around the outside in a maze. I remember loosing my bike and having to borrow a schwin stingray complete with banana seat. The run sucked and I came in Bbop. That dream was a few years ago but I vividly remember it. Yep no issues here !
2017-05-19 12:13 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

No dreams but lots of nerves, which makes sleep the night before a train wreck. Wonder what it's like to actually race well rested.
2017-05-19 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Two years ago I had a dream of crashing my bike in the race a couple of night prior to my race. Background info: I have never crashed in practice or in a race.

The day of the race, I was on the bike and my wheel went into the gutter and I tried to jerk back to rode. Big mistake. I crashed going about 22 MPH.

I haven't had a crash or dreamed of crashing since.
2017-05-19 12:46 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I haven't been able to race in over 2 years for health reasons.  I have dreams at least once or twice a week that I'm racing.  Never nightmares.  They're always positive dreams where I'm excited to be racing again.

I've already lived every triathlete's "nightmare" of a relatively major bike mechanical 1/2 hour before transition closed at a destination race, and lived to tell the tale, so I don't worry about those things enough for them to creep into my dreams.  

2017-05-19 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
I've actually gotten lost on the run course before - that feeling SUCKS.

See you at CCL on Sunday
2017-05-19 7:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Can we count living a nightmare?

World 70.3 Championships in Australia last year. There was a turnoff to the right one was supposed to take at about 54 km, up a steep hill. Unfortunately I did not have a working Garmin (nightmare in its own right--only time it has ever malfunctioned; still don't know why) and the turnoff did not seem to be clearly marked, at least on the side I was riding on. (I think I may have been being passed by a draft pack, of which there were many, on the right at the time.) Got to a turn (not really a turnoff, but where you had to turn, but whatever...) and up a hill (not really all that steep, but maybe they exaggerated?). Still on the course so figured I was fine. Came around again (supposed to do two loops of this area, one a bit shorter with the turnoff, one a bit longer with the turn a bit further down the road) for my second loop and THEN I saw the turnoff for the first loop. I knew I hadn't done it the first time around. Horrible, sinking feeling I cannot describe. I trained for two years to qualify for this race and spend a couple thousand $$ getting there...... My students, parents, and friends were tracking me.....

I explained what happened to an official and he said no, you can't just ride the first loop now, because if you don't hit the timing mats in order it will record a DNF. Unless you want DNF, you have to now ride the first loop, then the second (makes that section about 32 km, instead of 20). I didn't DNF. I finished, only I rode about 12 km further. Over 100 other people, including two athletes who would otherwise have been top 3 in their AG, either rode extra or got DNF or DQ due to missing this turnoff. People talk about "living the dream"..... maybe this is "living the nightmare"???

As for the dream, I've had it repeatedly. I'm winning Kona. It's very vivid. I have passed whoever is the star at the moment and I am crushing them on the run, gliding effortlessly down the Queen K. I even remember my splits from the board that the person on the motorcycle holds up and they are realistic--if I happened to be Daniela Ryf or Chrissie Wellington. I am gaining time on my rivals. Then suddenly.....the scenery changes. I'm not on the Big Island anymore. I'm on my favorite running loop outside of Honolulu (went to grad school there). I'm still running, still fast, but somehow, I'm on the wrong island.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-05-19 7:05 PM
2017-05-20 11:18 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree with the previous poster. You do enough triathlons and they are not nightmares, they're reality.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon dreams/nightmares Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New St Louis Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by DennisF6
Views: 2773 Posts: 29

2016-09-19 10:43 AM peedot

2016 Triathlons Pages: 1 2

Started by kuatb
Views: 3009 Posts: 26

2016-11-29 6:18 PM DomerTriGuy

Henderson triathlon training