General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ouch. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-22 8:26 AM

Subject: Ouch.
Why am I "feeling" an Olympic way worse than any half..or worse than just about anything else except brutal yard work for that matter?
I can understand the yard work part. Odd muscles used, lots of bending/squatting.

Is it adrenaline carryover from a half?
Is it because I went for broke and hammered on the bike?
I suppose it could be a training difference. Yet, I was in pretty good shape for this one. Last year I was I probably only 75%. This year, easily close to 100%. I cooked on the bike. 1.8 miles an hour faster than last year. Slightly different course. Still all flat, brutal wind for what felt like 3/4s of the course.
Run was a minute slower (likely do to pushing on the bike). Swim was a minute slower, could be anything. A buoy off, a little more meandering..
Is it because I am a little older? As of this year, I've inched into to the division with people who's age starts with a 5.

A tad worried, being as how I may or may not have signed up for the ol' bucket list race of a lifetime distance this year.

The run was 'rough'. But...I kept going. I figured I was practicing winning some mental battles. As of yesterday, I was thinking...."man....no way".
But then today, even with a little stiffness....I do keep thinking, no way would I ever hammer like that knowing I was going to ride more than ~25 miles. Also, when I stop and think about it, I really only need to do that run 3 more times and then some change. Mix in a little more strategic walking. And a boatload more training.

But yeah, I'm feeling like I raced yesterday. It was nice to get out of the water and see the racks (by age) less than half empty...and come back to see them way more than half empty. Rough seeing all sorts of people young and old pass me on the run. But, I'm used to that and don't expect that to change a whole lot.

Great race. If anyone's looking for an early-ish season Olympic, I can highly recommend the St. Louis Triathlon. Year two. They've ironed out a few of the tiny bumps they had last year (a fire at the packet pickup location the night before last year)...and a few other things. Swim entrance is better. They again put plywood down on the only set of train tracks. And they had part of a state highway totally shut down. Coned off the rest of the way. The race directors are racers. Sure, they're operating a business. But it's not a massive profit driven corporation and their sole source of income. The walk from car to transition is a grueling 50 meters at worst. The racks are glorious. 2x4 rigs with rebar hoops for your tire. All bikes fit...tall or short. They're not rickety. You end up with "designated" ground space simply by default because the bikes are a fixed distance from each other. And there's even extra space in the wood framing for bags and such so they're out of the way. Dead flat bike and run. It's not terribly picturesque or anything. The run is around the lake in the park on a trail. There's other joggers/walkers/etc. using the trail. Not a big deal. It's plenty wide. Fairly shady at times. Beautiful weather 2 years in a row. I think these folks originally may have looked at replacing the Kansas branded 70.3 a few years ago. There was some news burble about it and I even saw planned bike routes (which would have been pretty tough/hilly) presented to some of the city councils. I'm assuming Ironman is wary of hooking up with a brand new race. I'm wondering if these folks might now just be content continuing to sell out their race and continue to fine tune it and not bother sharing the results of their efforts with anyone else.

2017-05-22 10:34 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Ouch.

Originally posted by jhaack39 Why am I "feeling" an Olympic way worse than any half..

You have me worried.  I did a 70.3 as my first triathlon a little over 2 years years ago.  I have only done HIM's since then but have an Olympic race coming up in just under two weeks.  I was thinking that the Olympic may be more my cup of tea since the 70.3's always seem to be a little longer that what my training has prepared me for.  My plan was to do about the same training for the Olympic distance race as I did form y 70.3 races.  I was wanting to 1.7 MPH faster average pace on the bike and of course faster on the swim and run too.  Sounds like I may need to dial things back.  If you know that you over cooked it on the bike then that would be what I would point to and the cause of all our pain.  My personal experience is that it is the intensity that causes the pain and not the distance.  I can do a 20 mile marathon training run at 9:00 min/mil pace in the morning and them want to play a pick-up game of foot ball that afternoon and never thing twice about things.  But if I run a PR in a 5K race in the morning I won't be doing any pick-up games for a few days an even then I will be sore.  About 8 years ago one of my running training buddies who had done about 20 marathons told me that he was amazed at how easy the recovery was when he slowed down his race by 10 minutes.  When he would run a 3 hr 15 minute marathon it would take him about 3 weeks to recover.  When he ran a 3 hr 25 minute Marathon he would only have a 2-3 day recovery.  

So it would say its was your intensity.  Good job at hammering out your race.  If you finished the run strong you probably had an amazing PR.  Take it easy during your recovery though.

2017-05-22 12:57 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

To be accurate....my 1.7 mph was 1.7 mph faster than I did it last year. And I hammered pretty hard last year...mainly to see what would happen. It wasn't just..."faster than an average ride".
Any time I felt myself letting up, I kicked it back up.

I think you'll be fine.
1. I'm NOT a runner. I'm having a great day if I do 4-6 miles around 9/mile. I think once I did 8 miles at just under 9/mile.
It was a perfect day. I was well rested and had done no other fitness that day. And I had to be back at a certain time for something or my wife was gonna be mad.
2. there's a bajillion reasons why my swim was slower than last year. I actually felt much stronger this year. I didn't have GPS in the water last year, so it's very possible I swam faster. I just swam "more".

Also....I just double-checked.
My run was pretty rough last year too (mentally).
Pace was only off by 9 seconds. That accounts for 45 seconds of thee total of 63 second difference. And actually, know it took me more than 18 seconds to go back and get my bib (that's another story)....I crossed the mat twice. A lot of variables at play here. My watch, vs. their timing...vs. last year where exactly was the mat turnaround. Heck, I would think some 'meander' might even count for a second or two.
I would say, in the end, probably a pretty consistent difference between the run last year and the run this year.

So, in sum....the result of the impact of extra extra hammering had negligible effects over my run last year. Certainly not more than the ~9 minutes I picked up on the bike. If I do the math. Even on my best day of ~9/mile I would have still "lost" to last year.

I'm just 'feeling' it more today than I recall last year. Then again, I may just be misremembering.

2017-05-22 2:25 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

So... more pain this year and negligible improvement in time?  That is frustrating.  

In these endurance sports they say that you aren't ready for your next race until you have forgot how bad the last race hurt, so you may have a bit of that going on where you don't remember how bad it was last year too.

Nice work on the bike. It sounds like your goal was to push the bike and see how everything else felt into place.  I am guessing you will take a bit off the bike next year but at least you followed your plan.   

2017-05-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

So... more pain this year and negligible improvement in time?  That is frustrating.  

In these endurance sports they say that you aren't ready for your next race until you have forgot how bad the last race hurt, so you may have a bit of that going on where you don't remember how bad it was last year too.

Nice work on the bike. It sounds like your goal was to push the bike and see how everything else felt into place.  I am guessing you will take a bit off the bike next year but at least you followed your plan.   

Certainly, don't get frustrated by my negligible results or take them as a global. I'm not an athlete. I'm not frustrated. I really don't know "how to run". I'm learning as I go. In fact, I can't "hammer" on the run. Mainly because I don't like 'pain/discomfort'. I can go far, but moderately paced. I can go shorter....moderately faster. Bike riding for me is fun. So my tolerance for discomfort is way higher. Running is enjoyable, but not fun for me.

I think that bit about not being ready until you have forgotten.....that may be right.
That definitely was my plan. No clue what I'll do next year.

I'm thinking about a longer race I may or may not have signed up for later this fall. I know for a fact I will not hammer on the bike like that. Not even close. As fun as cycling is for me, I still have an aversion to unnecessary suffering. And there was some suffer on Sunday on the bike. I'm still accruing heart rate data and other (I know, I know....it's all about power/HR...I just don't have access to anything beyond HR and also...remember....I'm a completer.). My expectation is that I will be close to 4 (maybe even a skosh more than 4) mph slower on the bike in the fall. I'm not worried about that number. I just needed to come up with that number as a little affirmation that I'm not wasting a lot of time and money on a frivolous effort at the proverbial bucket list.

The stars have to align for me to hammer while running. And even then, it's light tapping with an upholstery hammer.
2017-05-22 3:09 PM

In fact, I was more frustrated by what I consider to be the best transition I've ever experienced in a race.

First off, like I said. I was parked roughly 50 meters from my spot. 100 if you count that I had to walk around the fence...which I was gonna do anyway because that's where the porta potties were.

You have an 'assigned' spot....not by number. Just by age group. Pick a spot in one of your designated racks. It's designated in that it's fixed. Not like hanging your bike on a rickety rack. Everybody has the exact same amount of space between bikes. Even if you have a real tall bike, it fits...unlike the hanging pipe racks.

Only problem was, someone ahead of me on the bike leg racked their bike "on the wrong side" which put them in my spot. I was steamed...for all of 2 seconds before I realized it'd be really easy to do. So then I went through the iterations of a solution. Move him? But to where? I could have pushed my bike over to that side as there'd be an open spot over there on the other side. But which spot? Again....either move could have just continued the domino effect. We had soooo much room I just laid my bike down kinda outta the way. I had zero worries about doing that.

But then I took off....and I was across the mat in the run-out and turned the corner onto the course and realized I left my bib behind. Had to go back and get it. Not ticked at all. I passed a note on to the RD. I have 100% faith that if it's truly an issue, they'll address it for next time. Let me tell you, apart from this possibility....these racks are just awesome. They take up a lot of space...so if space isn't an issue for the race producers....I wouldn't do it any other way if I was a race producer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ouch. Rss Feed