Trident Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 09m 2s
Overall Rank = 93/337
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/24
Pre-race routine:

T-storms moved into the area so the race was delayed. Shuttle buses waited at the swim area to provide shelter for those already there. I sat at the convention center in town with a bunch of other racers/spectators waiting on the weather to clear. Not much in the way of "routine" other than getting up and eating breakfast and heading to the race.
Event warmup:

Light stretching in shoulders/arms.
Swim
  • 39m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very happy with this swim! I had very little navigation issues. Caught up to several groups and had to slow to get around or through them.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

There was a loooong hill to run up from the boat ramp to T1. Wetsuit strippers got my out of the suit fast. It was a clean transition so everything had to go back into my T1 bag which really didn't take as much time I thought it would. I also used T1 for a potty break which was probably 2 minutes or more. I REALLY had to go!

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 10m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a harder ride than I had envisioned. And, I found myself pushing a little harder than I should have most of the time. I would say there were four or five 8 mph long hills. The road was wet from the T-storms but dried quickly once the sun came out.
I had a flat coming back into FW. Thus the seven minute difference in my time. :(

Probably go a little easier and save more for the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

I was almost too late getting my feet out but I did it. Didn't have time to really swing one leg over and dismount on the fly so I can to a stop and got off. Had to run a short ways till someone took my bike then continue into the convention center. T1 run bags in a big room in numerical order. Found mine easy and changed. Again, a clean transition so everything went back into the bag.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 10m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was seeing signs that gave the half and full distance mileage. All of a sudden I see a sign that was only full distance mileage (it was for their second loop). I turned around to the last aid station and ask them. They weren't sure where I had come from and gave me the wrong answer. Luckily the guy jumped in his van and caught up with me. I had to turn around again and head back the way I was first going. It was all on me. I knew the full and half had the same route I just got mixed up. I've never screwed up in a race before so this my lesson learned.
My hamstrings got really tight but I was still able to run up hills. After the last BIG hill my right calf started cramping but it was only short spasms and I was able to keep going. I really started hitting the Base salt half way through and feel like the course nutrition wasn't mix as strongly as they claimed it was going to be. I've been using it for two months. It tasted watered down.
Other than that it was a good effort to keep going.

Stay my course!!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around some to cool down. They had box lunches with PB&J, chips, and an orange at the finish which I missed and went back for later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe too hard on the bike? Better nutrition on the run. Don't get behind!

Event comments:

This was a good event especially for the first full and half on the same day. It wasn't as "fine tuned" as you might get at other races but one needs to expect that with an inaugural event.
With my flat tire on the bike and extra 0.6 mile confusion on the run my time would have been just under the 6 hr mark. I happy with this race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 40/337
Performance: Good
Of course my Garmin had 3500+ yards and all over the lake. On several message boards no one has less than 2400 yard so it's believed the swim was more like 1.4 miles +/-.
Suit: yes
Course: There were about 5-6 buoys to navigate around. Start was rolling with a jump in off a pier and swim. Head out and take a right then all left turn until your back. Exit on boat ramp.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:10:49 | 56 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 153/337
My Garmin (which luckily accurate on land) had 55.7 miles which was consistent with everyone else I've seen. I keep auto pause ON all the time which worked when I changed my flat. My speed was 18.2 mph at 3:03:55. AvgHR 2.8
Wind: Strong
Course: We left the T1 and rolled out West around the lake until we headed North. Long straight highway North until we turned East then rolled slowly to the Southwest, right into the wind and downtown FW.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:10:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 99/337
Performance: Average
Garmin has a 9:32 pace at 2:10:30 and 13.70 miles. AvgHR 2.6
Course: Out of downtown down a long and sometimes steep hill. Turn onto the Trinity River Trails. I would say that most of the run was on that fine rock man made trail stuff. And because of the earlier rains there was no dust. Of course we got to run back up that really long and sometimes steep hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-05-22 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Tri Fort Worth
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Fort Worth Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

LA Tri Series #3 - Tri Express Distance

Started by tcovert
Views: 1209 Posts: 1

2017-05-13 9:51 PM tcovert

Fort Lauderdale A1A Half Marathon

Started by joeydragon
Views: 706 Posts: 1

2016-11-22 6:37 PM joeydragon

Fort Snelling 15K Relay

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 948 Posts: 1

2016-10-27 3:18 PM stevestenzel

Robious Landing Tri

Started by RecTri
Views: 912 Posts: 1

2016-07-02 9:46 AM RecTri

Triceratops Tri

Started by jdmitch_BOPer
Views: 927 Posts: 1

2016-06-23 10:13 AM jdmitch_BOPer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Triathlete's doctor recommends road bike over tri bike

date : October 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Your bike costs a lot to replace. Don't let it get rusty.