General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for a Sprint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-31 1:17 PM

User image

Subject: Tips for a Sprint?
So I'm doing my first sprint distance since 2009 this Saturday. I've done a handful of HIMs and did a full IM last year - Currently training for my second. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips when it comes to having a long-distance mindset to racing a sprint distance. Things to leave behind? Things to keep in mind? Etc.
Thanks for your input!

2017-05-31 2:37 PM
in reply to: afin03

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Tips for a Sprint?

I done every level of race but love sprint races. I more competitive in the sprint races and I like that I can complete race and have lunch with my family afterwards.

Tips:
1. Transitions are important. Practice to get through each transition quickly.
2. Know the course. If race is close, practice the bike ride a couple of weeks prior to race.
3. Get in the mindset of pushing your heart rate. I don't wear heart rate monitor or Garmin. I push myself to embrace the pain with the knowledge that it will be over quickly and then I can relax. Do a couple of short bricks to get you in this mindset.
4. Don't load your bike down with items you don't need. You don't need gels or other food.
5. Train some without socks. I don't wear socks in sprint races.
6. Get to the race early. I like to pick out a good place on bike racks that will provide me a quick "in and out" of the transition area. I also like to warm up in opposite of how the race is set. I do a short run, bike ride and then swim warm-up prior to starting race.
7. There are usually one or two aid stations on the course so I don't take anything to drink on the run.
8. Be nice to people in the race. There are a lot of "first timers" in the race and they are nervous. I always take time to help them and answer questions. I also give them encouragement during the race.
9. Have fun.
2017-05-31 3:54 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Cypress, Texas

I am doing something similar on Saturday.  I will be doing my first Olymic after only doing 70.3 events my first three years in the sport.  

1) Should I go sockless in an Oly? I may try this in training tomorrow just to see how it feels in the Asics Kayanos with out socks. I hate how long it takes to put socks on wet feet (I have platform pedals so my running shoes go on right out of the water).

2) Do I need any food on the Bike for an Oly or is a sports drinks in the water bottles enough for most people at that distance?  I tried doing liquids only on the bike for the 70.3 distance but found I really needed something solid after about 40 miles on the bike.  What else can I leave off the bike in an OLY that were be required in a 70.3 or 140.6?

3) Do you do any gels on the run in Oly races?

2017-05-31 7:30 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I am doing something similar on Saturday.  I will be doing my first Olymic after only doing 70.3 events my first three years in the sport.  

1) Should I go sockless in an Oly? I may try this in training tomorrow just to see how it feels in the Asics Kayanos with out socks. I hate how long it takes to put socks on wet feet (I have platform pedals so my running shoes go on right out of the water).

2) Do I need any food on the Bike for an Oly or is a sports drinks in the water bottles enough for most people at that distance?  I tried doing liquids only on the bike for the 70.3 distance but found I really needed something solid after about 40 miles on the bike.  What else can I leave off the bike in an OLY that were be required in a 70.3 or 140.6?

Curtis,
Have you done the rolled sock thing? If not, and for anyone else who might find it helpful -

Before the race, while packing gear - take socks and add foot powder, then put socks on. Then, roll the socks down off your feet, leaving you with two 'sock condoms' Place one in each shoe in T1, and when you get to your bike, give your feet a very quick wipe (or not) grab one of the sock condoms and roll it onto your foot, then foot into shoe. Repeat, and yer outta T1. It is quick, and results in a sock that does not 'stick' on wet skin and bunch up.

2017-05-31 11:01 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Cypress, Texas

Nope...I have never seen the rolled sock trick. I will be practicing that for the next two days.   Thanks!

2017-06-01 6:42 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I wear Brooks Launch running shoes. Never wear socks on Oly races. I may get a small sore that I really don't notice until after race. Nothing major that would make me want to wear socks in Oly race.

Some people don't do any gels on the bike or run. I like to have one gel on the bike ride and my electrolyte drink. No gels on the run.

2017-06-01 9:03 AM
in reply to: afin03

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by afin03 So I'm doing my first sprint distance since 2009 this Saturday. I've done a handful of HIMs and did a full IM last year - Currently training for my second. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips when it comes to having a long-distance mindset to racing a sprint distance. Things to leave behind? Things to keep in mind? Etc. Thanks for your input!

Keep transitions short & quick. Don't need to be like an elite, but even if it doesn't matter that much you'll kick yourself later for leaving a couple minutes out there by having to hunt stuff down. Think it through ahead of time and have things go automatically. Everything is just a simple grab & tighten. Bike is in an easy gear, especially if there is an immediate hill (this is hilarious when people forget).

For a sprint, don't force in nutrition. Especially when not used to pushing such efforts. It's more likely to get in the way. Still take some water or what you prefer there. For an Oly, I might have a gel on the bike (maybe a second), but that's it. Some might have 1 in a sprint, but don't think it's terribly necessary. Pacing will matter a lot more. Don't think I've I've ever had water on the run for either, but others do. More likely if the event takes longer for them.

Pacing is going to be harder than you're used to, so do push yourself. Part of the fun is risking a blow up here. That said, do watch it in the first 1-2 minutes of each leg as a number tend to push much too hard here. I've set race best bike splits and can have a couple people go right by in the first mile only to end up at least several minutes behind me by the end. By (or before) about 5 minutes in that crazy starting energy should be gone and a more trustworthy burning should be setting in.

2017-06-01 9:08 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by triosaurus

Curtis, Have you done the rolled sock thing? If not, and for anyone else who might find it helpful - Before the race, while packing gear - take socks and add foot powder, then put socks on. Then, roll the socks down off your feet, leaving you with two 'sock condoms' Place one in each shoe in T1, and when you get to your bike, give your feet a very quick wipe (or not) grab one of the sock condoms and roll it onto your foot, then foot into shoe. Repeat, and yer outta T1. It is quick, and results in a sock that does not 'stick' on wet skin and bunch up.

I had trouble with the roll taking too long, so put in a fold instead to essentially do the same thing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for a Sprint? Rss Feed