Subject: Bee keepers
Any out there in BTlandia?

2017-06-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: Bee keepers

Wow I haven't been on BT in forever and decided this morning just to pop in and see what is going on and I see this post.  

Yes I have bees.  This is my first year at bee keeping.  I started with 2 hives.  One hive is doing really well.  The other hive has struggled but is making a comeback. I lost a queen and they raised a new queen but she decided to swarm immediately.  Luckily there was another queen cell that she didn't destroy before the warm.  That queen has emerged, mated, and is now laying.  I'll have to take some honey from the one hive and move over so they don't starve over winter.  With all of that I will still get a little honey this year.

2017-06-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Pro
Tejas
Excellent. Do you have any good online resources you can share? Mostly looking for supplies and ideas how to get set up. Looks like this project won't go in this year, as I understand it's too late in the year to attempt establishing a hive. I'm in the research stage right now and in no rush to get going. I'm reading one of the "idiot's guide to" books and can't put it down. I've always wondered how things work in a hive, but didn't have a clue exactly how much really was going on until now! Pretty amazing process.
2017-06-05 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Do you have a local bee keeping club? I joined my local bee keeping club and they have been so helpful. I used Google for a while but having local people to talk to is far better. I would suggest attending a bee keeping class. My local club had one in January for $45 and it was money well spent. There was a classroom setting one day then a hands on class.  Those 2 combined I learned more than any book would have ever taught me. I got nucs instead of packaged bees.  Either way you go I would get at least 2 hives.  Having 2 let's you compare what is going on with them. 

I've been buying supplies from Mann Lake and Brushy Mountain. Both have comparable prices and get very good reviews.  

My bees are really calm for the most part.  I can sit 2' away and they could care less.  It is really neat watching them come in with pollen loaded up.  Next year I plan to get 2 more hives.  

2017-06-05 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Yeah, there is a local club. I haven't contacted them yet, but planned to as i got closer to actually purchasing things. From what I've read so far, 2 hives is a good start and what I intend to do my first year. Will look into Mann Lake and Brushy Mtn. a little closer. I know ML has stuff on Amazon so that's right up my alley. Thanks for the input, please check back in if you think of anything else!
2017-06-08 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm a beekeeper as well. Have been doing it for a few years. Currently have two hives. Last year was my first year of getting some decent honey - about 60 lbs. Only had the one hive last year - got a nuc this year to get it back up to two hives. This year is looking even more promising - my established hive has two supers full and I put a third on last week!

Definitely join a club and go to the meetings! We have a great one here - the eastern Missouri beekeepers association (http://www.easternmobeekeepers.com/ ) Although I haven't been to a club meeting in a while... but I went quite a bit when I started out. Find a mentor if you can.

It's hard to keep them alive these days: Varoa mites, hive beatles, CCD... it's tough.

Good luck!

2017-06-09 5:55 AM
in reply to: Frank in St. Louis

User image

Pro
Tejas
So here's a question. What do you guys recommend when it comes to frames? Apparently this is a lot like the Mac or PC argument in tech circles! I'm leaning towards the logic of foundation less myself. I'm thinking long game here; honey harvesting is my secondary goal. I'm looking for pollination to improve gardening and local farmlands. And to increase bee population in the area, I would allow at least one hive to swarm each year. I'm not sure if that's a good idea and would definitely research deeper to see if it is.
2017-06-09 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Ask 10 people and you will probably get 10 different answers on frames. I went with plastic foundation frames and rolled some melted wax on them.  The first ones I got were yellow.  The next ones I buy will be black plastic so I can see the eggs easier.  

I'm not sure I agree with letting them swarm every year.  That sounds like a good way to upset some neighbors when a swarm decides to take up home in their home.

2017-06-09 3:31 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Wasn't sure about the swarming thing either. i plan to put them in the back acre of a ten acre property. They'd be out of sight, but no doubt everyone within 2 miles will know they're there and come looking for me every time they spot a rogue bee. 40,000 bees they'd call the Game Warden! Need to research a little more.

2017-06-09 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by mdg2003

So here's a question. What do you guys recommend when it comes to frames? Apparently this is a lot like the Mac or PC argument in tech circles! I'm leaning towards the logic of foundation less myself. I'm thinking long game here; honey harvesting is my secondary goal. I'm looking for pollination to improve gardening and local farmlands. And to increase bee population in the area, I would allow at least one hive to swarm each year. I'm not sure if that's a good idea and would definitely research deeper to see if it is.

I prefer wax frames. The plastic frames I have are from the nucs I've acquired over the years. The bees just seem to work more productively and actively in the wax frames. But again that's N=1.

As for letting them swarm each year- to each his/her own I guess. If you have neighbors close by I would give them a heads up and educate them on the docile-ness of a swarm and not to be alarmed. If they recoil at the thought... you may want to avoid swarming.

Frank
2017-06-10 7:38 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Ive been reading that wax foundations source wax from commercial hive operations and that wax is loaded with pesticides. The belief is that this is leading to resistance to any treatments you might deem necessary to put in your hive down the road. Particularly the varroa mite. Any personal thoughts on that subject?

One thing Ive not been able to figure out is what happens to the frames after harvest. If I understand correctly, the plastic frame is already fully formed synthetic comb. This is then just filled in or used as needed by the bees and then capped? The bee keeper uncaps this frame, extracts honey and then cleans the frame as well as possible and then reinstalls as needed, leaving the bees to clean up the rest. The wax frame is a sheet with wax covering the face of the frame with a comb imprint that the bees then draw out. Once you've harvested honey from this type frame you remove and harvest the wax. Then install new foundation wax sheets to put back in the hive as needed? Then frameless, is just a couple wires run across the frame to provide additional support to the comb for when you work the hive. Oddly enough, I'm reading researching in 4-5 different bee books and neither has described this process to my complete comprehension! Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

So, would it make sense to go frameless in the lower hive body, to allow the bees and queen the most pristine and natural habitat as possible, then install the plastic frames in the supers. It seems to me that allowing the bees to create cell size that they require for reproductive needs in the hive body and then using plastic cells in the supers, easing the workload of the bee keeper at harvest time, makes sense. Or does two different types of frames throw the system out of whack?

Langstroth or top bar?

2017-06-12 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Hmm, never heard that about wax frames containing pesticides from commercial use. Makes sens though (unfortunately). Yes, resistance to treatments, is a major concern. I don't use chemicals - however, I did use Apiguard for the firs time in late summer/early fall. (Uses thymol, which is a naturally occurring substance derived from the plant thyme). It seemed to have maintained my hive's health because they overwintered and were really strong and ready for the spring.

The only plastic frames I've seen look identical to wax frames, only black plastic. In other words, they are a thin piece of plastic with an imprint of the comb pattern. I've never seen a fully "pulled" plastic frame with complete comb.

When I harvest my honey, I only remove the capping wax. The comb pretty much stays in tact. (I used a self-churning, three frame extractor with a hot knife). I then either place the super frames back on top of the hive (if there's still a chance of harvest that season) or keep them in my basement until next year.

I've never gone frameless in a hive - either in the deeps or supers.

Langstroth.

2017-06-13 3:09 AM

User image

Friend of mine is a beekeeper and i always wonder how he does it. He tells me that stings are unavoidable, and that you sort of get used to them. Oh well, it certainly is a fascinating hobby and you are doing something good since farmers need bees for pollination. Still, i think i could not do it
2017-06-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: lokucore

User image

Pro
Tejas
Welcome to BT Loku!
2017-06-13 8:36 AM
in reply to: lokucore

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Originally posted by lokucore Friend of mine is a beekeeper and i always wonder how he does it. He tells me that stings are unavoidable, and that you sort of get used to them. Oh well, it certainly is a fascinating hobby and you are doing something good since farmers need bees for pollination. Still, i think i could not do it

For the most part my bees are very calm.  This past weekend was the exception.  They were not happy with me messing with them and made it clear by stinging me 6 times.

2017-06-28 8:45 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I attended a beekeeping 101 class last weekend. This included opening a hive and handling the frames so we could all see what to look for. Several of us including the teacher had no protective gear. The bees were so calm, i didn't see anyone come close to getting stung. It was a pretty cool to hold a frame of bees with bare hands and just watch them go about their business like we weren't even there. Granted, this was a new hive he had just split, so there wasn't really much honey to protect and it was midday, so most of the colony was out collecting and gathering. There was a mesquite bloom going on and he allowed us to sample some nectar off one of the frames. You could actually taste the mesquite if that makes sense. I use a lot of mesquite to cook with, so I was able to pick up the subtle but distinct flavor. Interesting hobby. Added bonus will be the ag exemption on my property taxes!

2018-04-03 8:20 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Took me a while but I'm officially a beekeeper. Got a nuc yesterday and transferred them to my home made hive. I'm getting a second nuc on Mother's Day. My short term plans are to get these first two hives up and humming; if I can keep them alive and determine that I enjoy the hobby, I'll expand the project.

(IMG_4648.JPG)

(IMG_4650.JPG)

(IMG_4652.JPG)

(IMG_4635.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4648.JPG (138KB - 10 downloads)
IMG_4650.JPG (200KB - 9 downloads)
IMG_4652.JPG (147KB - 9 downloads)
IMG_4635.JPG (180KB - 9 downloads)
2018-04-04 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Very cool! Welcome to the club! I had one hive not make it through the winter so I have another replacement nook on the way later this month.

However, my "main" hive is still going strong (last I checked). This will be my third season with this hive. A record for me!

It's a fun hobby - enjoy your bees!

Frank
2018-04-04 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Frank in St. Louis

Very cool! Welcome to the club! I had one hive not make it through the winter so I have another replacement nook on the way later this month.

However, my "main" hive is still going strong (last I checked). This will be my third season with this hive. A record for me!

It's a fun hobby - enjoy your bees!

Frank

I think your wintering process will be a lot more involved than mine. Most locals say just put in a bottom board when it hits freezing and leave the bottom screened the remainder of the year. From what I've read, colder climates have a rougher time so I guess you're doing good to keep at least one hive alive. It was nice and 80ish yesterday, I woke to upper 40s and really windy today. The hive was in cluster mode until the sun hit the hive. They're out foraging now. The wild flowers are popping and pollen is off the charts. Yesterday when the front hit, we had pretty good wind gusts. The pollen got shook loose at once and the visibility dropped to a grungy yellow haze! The bees are returning loaded with it.

They were really aggressive yesterday after being moved from their nuc. Today they're calm and I was able to observe them from 4-5 feet without a veil. I think I'll drag a lawn chair out there next time to sit and observe. It's relaxing to sit and watch them come and go about their business. I read about them getting excited at the landing board when a bee returns with a good cargo. Sure enough, about every tenth inbound bee gets tumbled on the landing board by a mob checking out the promising cargo.
2018-04-06 12:54 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I went in the hive today to see how things are going. I found the queen and she is laying, like a maniac! Lotsa capped brood, eggs, honey and pollen. Attached pic you can see a bee loaded with pollen. Also look on the top cover, south Texas is coated with a thin layer of pollen right now.

(IMG_3389.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_3389.JPG (120KB - 9 downloads)
2018-04-08 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
It warmed up and then another cold front barreled in. It barely got above 50 yesterday and it was pretty gusty. When I checked the hive and there were a lot of dead or stunned bees laying about. I put the slide in bottom tray under them in hopes that they can warm up. Good thing as it got into the mid 30s here last night and is only 42 right now. It's supposed to rebound back up to the 70s today, so hopefully they'll get back to business and not be too stressed.

The guy I bought the nuc from said I did not need to add a feeder, as the current nectar flow was sufficient and would only discourage foraging. What do you guys think? I put a boardman in yesterday because it was so cold and they were clustered again. Yet every book I've read(and I've read a bunch of them) says to feed, feed, feed when installing a package or nuc. I'm probably overthinking and the bees will make the decision for me. Right?

2018-04-08 11:24 PM

I'm a EX Beekeeper. I went out of the hobby because of the way it was getting too much attention fast and companies started price gorging beginner beekeepers. It made me sick of the hobby to see this activity.

I had 24 hives less than 2 years ago, I've done every type of hive and up to queen grafting. I sold all my stuff to my neighbor and they are now up to 30+ hives.

My opinion for a first year beekeeper, go ahead and buy some honey from a friend or the club. DO NOT rely on your 1st year nucs to produce "extra" for you and 50 friends. Expect hives to die. Many hives to die. Keep at it. Spot check those who know at your local club and you can get a split for free. I gave tons of splits for free to club members. I would split one hive 4 times per year just to give them away. Beekeeping should be fun, not bankrupt people.

2018-04-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: Comms

User image

Pro
Tejas
I agree on it being expensive. I made my hives, so I got that part pretty cheap. I had to buy frames and foundation, at 2-3 bucks a pop it added up quickly. The nuc I just bought was 185 bucks and I have another coming from a different guy at the same price. Protective gear and other goodies will have me at around 800 bucks to get two hives started. I saw a meme somewhere, "Introduce your children to beekeeping and they won't have money for drugs and alcohol." My 18 year old daughter has shown interest and we spent some time observing the hive yesterday as I told her what I know about bees and explained the inner workings of a bee colony. That alone was priceless and worth the expense to date, for me anyway.
There's a local group I have yet to contact, but will. Just to get some local tips and tricks. The guy I bought the nuc from has offered to let me come help him work his bee yard (cheap labor, right?) to show me the ropes. Plus he will come to my house and inspect my hive for me and provide a mite treatment at no cost. Probably how he makes sure he gets his nuc boxes back!
Checked the girls yesterday and the hive was going nuts. A tree about ten yards in front of the hive blossomed and had a nectar flow going. My concerns about feeding them were unfounded, as they avoided the feeder and were taking care of themselves. About 10 bees were leaving or coming back every second or so. Looks like they met most of their pollen needs as maybe 1 in 40 bees was returning with pollen. Around 630 I took a chair back there to observe and they'd stopped flying for the day. Not a bee in sight, even on the landing board.
As far as honey expectations, I don't expect any my first year. Everything I've read says not to expect it. I have no reason to believe that my hives will be that "special" exception!
2018-04-12 9:02 PM

$185 a nuc?!!!

I want you to tell that person that they should be ashamed of themselves for charging you that. It was only $75 for a laying nuc a couple of years ago!

I would give you a nuc for free if you were my neighbor and showed interest in the hobby and I don't even know you.

Good luck on beekeeping. At one point you'll be charging, but please consider the effortless process of a split to make a nuc and charge your neighbors reasonably.

2018-04-14 10:56 AM
in reply to: Comms

User image

Pro
Tejas
Yeah, steep intro to the hobby. I'm sure once I meet some local beeks I'll be able to get them cheaper, but for now it is the going price. I attended a bee class where I saw a guy and his brother buying several complete hives at $420 (single deep brood chamber) so they could keep the tax exemption status on a property they just bought. I believe they took 8 of them, talk about jumping in with both feet. I'd be curious to see if they all survived the winter.

My neighbor has expressed interest in a hive or two. I don't think I'll charge him when the time comes if I'm able to provide him with a split. Sharing my resources seems reasonable to me since it will benefit the flora in our area.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bee keepers Rss Feed  

of 2