Conejo Recreation & Park District
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 22s
Overall Rank = 17/228
Age Group = M 40-59
Age Group Rank = 4/45
Pre-race routine:

Been wanting to do this race after a couple training runs on the course over the last year, but held off from registering due to recurring hamstring injury this year. Tested the hammie on a 5+ mile run a couple nights in advance and felt pain-free enough to pull the trigger. Irritatingly, online registration closed by 5pm the final night it was available, so I had to drive 20 miles to packet pickup after work the night before the race to do a walk-in reg. (And turn around and do a longer drive to the race venue from home the next morning.)

Night before the race, the hammie had gotten tight, but it was fine when I got up at 5:15 to get ready. The race website warned about difficult parking and possible sellout, but neither proved true. My running club had a hospitality tent at the expo, so I did a warmup run about a 1/4 mile to my car to test the hamstring and retrieve my camp chair and post-race bag.
Event warmup:

Mostly just the short run to my car. Really didn't want to take any chances overloading the hammie before the race.
Run
  • 54m 22s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 26s  min/km
Comments:

I was very familiar with the course, having done two training runs on it in the recent past. It is a very demanding and technical trail 10K that has a major climb in the middle and a shorter but steeper climb in the last 3/4 mile.

Because I was experiencing tightness in my injured hamstring both on my easy run Thursday night and after walking around Friday night, I made sure I did not go hard off the start line and that I throttled back on the couple big descents where it is possible to go full out. I'm sure that cost me a minute or two (and possibly a win in my weird 20-year age group).

Made it through the race with no pain and next to no residual tightness later in the day.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously not have to manage my effort to protect my hamstring. I've got a 25K race in two weeks and a 50K in two months to try to stay healthy...and get prepared...for.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with members of my club...didn't walk around too much...really didn't want to stress my hammie, since it had held up beautifully through the race.

Weird 20-year adult age groups for this race...when I looked at the results and saw a "4" under age group place for me I freaked...then I noticed I was grouped as a 57-year-old in "Male 40-59." Checking the ages of the competitors ahead of me, I was 1st over 50 (out of 31). That's a more relevant result for me than finishing 4th behind 3 guys who were in their early to mid-40s and were thrown into an AG with me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Protecting hamstring injury. Otherwise healthy and comfortable and enjoyed the race...even the climbing.

Event comments:

Amazingly scenic and technically challenging course. Most of the descending is in the first mile...you then climb out of a canyon, drop back to the bottom, then climb out an even steeper (albeit shorter) route a second time. Inexpensive, low frills, but a really great course if you like a challenge.

Last updated: 2017-06-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:22 | 10 kms | 05m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 4/45
Overall: 17/228
Performance: Below average
Course: Extremely technical trail course, roughly hourglass-shaped. Main feature is the Lizard Rock Trail in miles 3-4, which includes a 550' climb in less than a mile. There are fire roads, singletracks, stream crossings (all with either footbridges or reasonable stepping stones), and stairs (up and down). Roughly 1000' of total climbing for the 10K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No