Team Magic
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m 11s
Overall Rank = 119/529
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/40
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45, ate some breakfast and got stuff together for the race. Headed out the door at 5:30 and walked down to transition. They have absolutely no lights in transition, but was thankful I brought my headlamp. Set everything up slowly, then walked transition to get the lay of the land so I knew where to go when I came in and was heading out. Finished up about 6:15 and walked over to the bathrooms, then up to the buses to go out to swim start.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 20m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

So you start with just hanging around the UTC practice football field. The swim is done in a time trial fashion and they rank order by expected swim finish time. I told them 21:30 based on a guess of current fitness and water current. That gave me number 75. They have you slide into the water and move forward to the edge of the dock, which is when you start. Missed the start button my watch, or hit the back button because I got out and my watch hadn't started. But got into a good strong pace and had a lot of open water. Was passing a lot of people, which I thought was odd because we are all supposed to be similar expected swim times. I was off the to the left and didn't have many if any people around me, but could see a lot of people off to the right. But I kept sighting and felt like I was on a good line, so just stuck with it. Got under the bridges and felt like I was very far left again, but was only 5-10 feet from the spectator area, which gave me a short turn into the exit stairs. Was upset that I didn't have a time as this would have set a positive tone for the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

This is a long transition run. You come out of the water, then have to run up some stairs, and by some I mean a lot. Fortunately, I practiced this the day before so was comfortable running up them. Was also getting my watch going so I could get a bike and run split. Once you enter transition, you have to run all the way to the other end before actually entering the grass area. My bike was easy to find as I had a good position. Got shoes on and then helmet and sunglasses and was off. Had a short run with the bike to mount line.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 10m 37s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 21.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out and felt like I could hear my brake rubbing. Tried to do a quick check and saw nothing. Opened front and back, but no change, so I stopped caring. Start out with a little climb before getting onto some flats. The first loop was fairly open because there were so few people on the course at that point. Head over several train tracks so I made sure to sit up and have better control of my bike. No issues going over any of those. Coming back towards transition you fly downhill and into the turn for the 2nd loop. This was good because it gave me an idea of where I wanted to get out of my shoes. 2nd loop was more crowded but still not bad. Felt like I put a solid effort in for the bike. Definitely, need more strength training on the bike.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Got out of the shoes at a good point. Made the final turn to the dismount line and jumped off right at the dismount line. Got over the curb with no issues and right to my rack. I put socks on with the shoes and this still takes me longer than it should. But got it done and headed out.

I need to practice this more.
Run
  • 48m 22s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Went in with the goal of somewhere about 48 mins. So the plan was to hold just under 8:00/mile pace. Got out and saw I was averaging about 7:50 and it felt good. Updated my plan to stay at 7:50 on the way out and try to push a little more on the way back. That didn't work too well but still had a good average pace.

1: 7:48, HR: 153
2: 7:50, HR: 152
3: 7:51, HR: 154
4: 7:55, HR: 156
5: 7:45, HR: 153
6: 7:49, HR: 152

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to a friend and look over results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

This was a bucket list race for me. 17 years ago, as a student, I volunteered for the Chattanooga Dam Triathlon and thought this tri thing was pretty cool. Loved the course and everything was well organized.

Last updated: 2017-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/40
Overall: 52/529
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:37 | 24.8 miles | 21.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/40
Overall: 179/529
Performance:
Avg HR 147 Max HR 169
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop out and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:22 | 06.2 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/40
Overall: 176/529
Avg HR 153 Max HR 167
Course: Out and back on the east side of the Riverview trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes