General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seat issues - road bike attempting to do tris Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-27 1:26 PM

Subject: Seat issues - road bike attempting to do tris
I know that seats are a personal preference, but I am having issues finding a seat that does well at being a comfortable ride and being able to get down in the drops and powering through a sprint distance. Full disclosure, most of the riding I do is with friends and range from 15-20mph averages and due to many factors, ride on the hoods and randomly in the drops for sprints of 1-5 minutes. And my seat is fine for this, not 100% problem free, but pretty good. UNTIL I found tris about 2 years ago. I tore up my knee last year so doing anything very hard was out of the question, but I got that fixed in February and am pushing as hard as it will let me now.

I have done 2 sprints so far this summer and both times my left leg went numb for a portion of the ride. ( I ride as hard as I can, and a lot in the drops because I am such a slow runner!) So I know that this is due to the seat and have tried a couple different saddles and have figured out that there are several choices that will really help me out. Currently I like 2 from Cobb, the Plus 2 and just picked up the Randee to demo. There seems to be a lot of relief when getting down and hammering, but I don't know if I am not used to it yet or not, but I also want a comfortable ride when just decent exercise pace and the Plus 2 just seemed to "irritate" just short of feeling like chafing was coming later. Now my longest ride was 20 miles but I did ride several times.

Long question short, do many/any of you road bike folks ride 2 saddles, or just keep trying until you find a combo that works?

2017-06-27 2:05 PM
in reply to: Sleepyluke

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Seat issues - road bike attempting to do tris
Two things pertaining to the bike are purely personal choices: Saddle and pedals. As for me, I go back and forth between a ISM Prologue and a Terry Fly Ti. The ISM is great at eliminating numbness but the nose feels a bit wide between my legs, the Terry the complete opposite. I suppose I should try a Cobb but I have no shortage of stuff to spend money on.
2017-06-27 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I tried several saddles and finally found Cobb was the perfect choice for me. I use the same saddle in training and in races.

It is also important to make sure you have your seat at the proper level per the instructions or your comfort.

I place a book on my saddle and use a small level to check.
2017-06-27 3:17 PM

If you are just going from riding the hoods to the aero bars occasionally. The seat probably doesn't have to change position as you can adjust how you sit on the seat.

If going to full tri-aero position for an extended time. you probably want to tilt the saddle down in front a little.
2017-06-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by OysterboyThe ISM is great at eliminating numbness but the nose feels a bit wide between my legs...

The old fix for this was to wrap a (rather hefty) zip tie around the seat rails near, flexing the "prongs" together and cinching the zip tie to hold it.

2017-06-27 7:08 PM

User image

I've tried a number of different saddles. Adamo was pretty good but Cobb is the most comfortable I've found so far.

2017-06-27 7:51 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by OysterboyThe ISM is great at eliminating numbness but the nose feels a bit wide between my legs...

The old fix for this was to wrap a (rather hefty) zip tie around the seat rails near, flexing the "prongs" together and cinching the zip tie to hold it.

I've read this before, will give it a try but need to get one of those heavy duty zip ties.
2017-06-29 10:30 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Well I got the Randee installed and have ridden a whopping 2 miles on it. It is going to take some adjusting, not sure yet how though, front back, up and down are all options, but at first ride it may be a winner!

Definitely a different position and feel. Riding in the harder position is much better and sitting up cruising seems doable, but different on the sit bones. I know these type seats take some getting used to, but should I put 50-60 miles on the demo before buying? 100? I did not ride the previous saddle enough before I bought it and while it was better, it was not great. And I don't want another seat in the pile of spare bike parts....

Thanks for all the advice here
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seat issues - road bike attempting to do tris Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buying used bike - how to handle this issue?

Started by linkslefty
Views: 1488 Posts: 16

2016-10-29 4:27 AM marcag

TT Bike or Aero Road Bike Pages: 1 2

Started by art-gal
Views: 4084 Posts: 26

2016-07-02 5:31 AM Nick B

Kestrel vs Orbea first road bike ??

Started by sgonzalez
Views: 1550 Posts: 4

2016-07-02 8:11 AM HaydenHunter

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions