Alexandria, Virginia
United States
WaveOne Swimming
Total Time = 47m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

We weren't allowed in the water, so no warm up. We all boarded the ferry after the race briefing, and then it was jump in, swim to the start line, then we were off.
Swim
  • 47m 56s
  • 2300 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was such a good swim for me! I was worried I would be cold without a wetsuit, but it was actually perfect. The jump off the boat was the scariest part. Once the horn sounded, I set off in super slow motion, reminded by my time at Peasantman that setting off too fast is a bad idea. I had literally no contact with anyone the entire time. It was recommended based off the current to swim along the bridge until the second to last buoy, then cut over and let the crosscurrent take us to the finish line. The cross current felt a bit strong, as I was working hard to swim left and wound up going straight (as planned.) The buoys were really far apart and I had a tough time seeing them. At some point I started to feel like it was taking me a really long time to get to the other side. Like I wasn't going anywhere. But at no point did I feel scared or anxious or anything similar to what happened at Peasantman. I even breathed a bit to the right more than usual to make up for the waves/current coming in from my left. Once the final buoy hit, I turned on the legs and kicked it up as I headed into the finish. When I got out I was a little dizzy, but not too terribly tired.
What would you do differently?:

The buoys were a real challenge to see. I think a pair of mirrored but not darkly tinted goggles would have been helpful. I also think I could have paced this differently. I swam as though I was doing the first leg of a triathlon, and next time I'd like to really give it my all and leave it all out in the river, so to speak.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've been skipping swim workouts quite a bit this year. It will be good to see how I do at this one next year with a bit more consistency.

Last updated: 2017-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:56 | 2300 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Jump off the boat on the VA side, swim along the Wilson bridge across the Potomac, angling in towards the dock on the MD side.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2017-07-12 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: Washington's Crossing

2017-07-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: #5224181

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Washington's Crossing

Congrats on a solid race and for overcoming some of the things that gave you issues in other races!  How far of a jump was it off the boat? I'll have to keep an eye on this race and maybe do it next year!

2017-07-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Washington's Crossing
You should do it!! This is the same location/RD as HarborFest in August and Swim for the Potomac in September. The jump off the ferry isn't bad, and certainly no worse than the jump off the dock you do for the other two races.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Washington's Crossing Rss Feed