General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sorry, ANOTHER breathing post HELP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-18 2:48 AM

Subject: Sorry, ANOTHER breathing post HELP
HI, New member here and need some particular help with breathing.

When i do sink down drills, i bob for about 10-20secs then only when i really force the air out do i sink. i cant seem to force the air out of lungs quick during a normal stroke. All articles say you should try and exhale normally but there is no way i can force enough air out of my lungs breathing 'normally'

I've had a couple of lessons that have improved my swimming technique immensely. However, i am struggling to swim past 100m due to being out of breath.

I can breath Bi-lateral, left or right side no problem. I feel like i can swim all day if i just rest for 10secs at the end of each 25m lap.

I am so close to being able to swim non-stop i feel this is the one thing holding me back now.

Please help

2017-07-18 3:42 AM
in reply to: bazza172

Subject: RE: Sorry, ANOTHER breathing post HELP
hello there,

I'm not calling myself an expert, nonetheless one thing I am quite confident is that you should empty your lungs prior to every breath while swimming.
By doing so you will facilitate your inhale and you will not end up short of breath.
In order to empty the lungs you should definitely force your exhale.

Try it and you will notice an immense difference (and won't have the need for a 10 second breaks at every pool length).
C
2017-07-18 4:19 AM

User image

I've never heard of this problem. Are you exhaling in the water? I mean, you're not trying to both exhale and inhale with your head to the side and mouth out of the water are you?

Assuming you're not doing the above (and sorry if I'm way off on that), perhaps you can breathe every three strokes to give you more time to exhale naturally (you mentioned that you can breathe bilaterally). Personally, when I exhale every three strokes, I purposely exhale slowly for the first two strokes and then force the rest of the air out at the end of the third stroke right before I take my breath. In any event, breathing every three strokes should give you more than enough time to exhale everything out of your lungs. Good luck!
2017-07-18 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Try slowing down.  Waaayyyyy dooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn.  

You should exhale while your face is in the water, and get a quick breath of air when you rotate to the side.  I suggest you try humming as that will force the air out your nose and keep water from entering your nose.  

Keep in mind, "normal breathing" doesn't force out all the air in your lungs.  You've probably been to the doctor and had to breathe deeply 5-10 times in a row while (s)he listens to your lungs...that's hard.  That's also NOT what you want to do while swimming.  (Imagine for a moment, you've deeply exhaled and as you turn to get some more air, a wave fills your face and mouth with water...you'll end up gasping and panicky.)  If you're breathing normally and that happens, you simply put your face back in the water, take another stroke, and try for another breath.  

2017-07-18 8:49 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by McFuzz

Try slowing down.  Waaayyyyy dooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
2017-07-18 11:44 AM
in reply to: panino

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by panino hello there, I'm not calling myself an expert, nonetheless one thing I am quite confident is that you should empty your lungs prior to every breath while swimming. By doing so you will facilitate your inhale and you will not end up short of breath. In order to empty the lungs you should definitely force your exhale. Try it and you will notice an immense difference (and won't have the need for a 10 second breaks at every pool length). C

you do not need to fully empty your lungs. the amount you need to breathe in and out is controlled by effort.  try slowing down.

2017-07-18 12:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by bazza172

HI, New member here and need some particular help with breathing.

When i do sink down drills, i bob for about 10-20secs then only when i really force the air out do i sink. i cant seem to force the air out of lungs quick during a normal stroke. All articles say you should try and exhale normally but there is no way i can force enough air out of my lungs breathing 'normally'

I've had a couple of lessons that have improved my swimming technique immensely. However, i am struggling to swim past 100m due to being out of breath.

I can breath Bi-lateral, left or right side no problem. I feel like i can swim all day if i just rest for 10secs at the end of each 25m lap.

I am so close to being able to swim non-stop i feel this is the one thing holding me back now.

Please help

How long have you been swimming?

This sounds more like a technique issue than a specific breathing issue.  If your technique isn't good, you are likely swimming anaerobically.  That's gonna make you feel like you can't catch your breath. Depending upon where your technique is at, slowing down may or may not help.  If you are beating the water into submission, no amount of slowing down will fix the "out of breath" feeling.  If your technique is good, then the limiter to swimming continuously becomes fitness, not breathing.

Might be time to consider a couple more lessons.

2017-07-18 1:19 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Floriduh
All of the above, and don't worry about bilateral breathing for now. Pick a side and breathe every two strokes. This should be a breath every 2-4 seconds if you have a reasonable stroke rate, that's plenty of air.
2017-07-18 8:46 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Originally posted by Oysterboy

and don't worry about bilateral breathing for now. Pick a side and breathe every two strokes.

If the OP really is fine with bilateral breathing, I would capitalize on that skill. I think it's good to be able to breathe on both sides for some kind of symmetry. This could mean the typical every three strokes, but it could also mean right-right-three strokes-left-left or right-right-immediate left-left-immediate right-right, etc. I think being very comfortable to both sides is an immense asset for triathlon swimming- don't know where the waves will be coming from, the sun could be to one side that day, etc. BUT, there does seem to be something amiss with the OPs technique at the moment (easily fixable probably, though), and so I can understand your recommendation as well.
2017-07-18 10:34 PM
in reply to: Trilogy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Trilogy
Originally posted by Oysterboy and don't worry about bilateral breathing for now. Pick a side and breathe every two strokes.
If the OP really is fine with bilateral breathing, I would capitalize on that skill. I think it's good to be able to breathe on both sides for some kind of symmetry. This could mean the typical every three strokes, but it could also mean right-right-three strokes-left-left or right-right-immediate left-left-immediate right-right, etc. I think being very comfortable to both sides is an immense asset for triathlon swimming- don't know where the waves will be coming from, the sun could be to one side that day, etc. BUT, there does seem to be something amiss with the OPs technique at the moment (easily fixable probably, though), and so I can understand your recommendation as well.

This is nice to be able to do, but fixing the original issue is way more important. It shouldn't be too hard to work it back in later.

2017-07-18 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Nothing wrong with doing lots of 25s, 50s.

2017-07-19 7:46 AM

I hear you friend. I too struggle with breathing. I cant seem to get enough air out and the Co2 builds. I've been watching TI (total immersion) videos trying to get a better breathing rhythm. Maybe check them out.

I had my first sprint tri last weekend. For the 1/4 mile swim I had water chop from my right front so I struggled out. And since I cant bi lateral breath an I I breath on my left side and run out of air I ended up side swimming, to keep from drowning, most of the way back in and was exhausted for the rest of the race. I had a 12:04 1/4 miles swim. Clearly I need to improve my swimming.
2017-07-19 8:18 AM
in reply to: Shotshell

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Shotshell

I hear you friend. I too struggle with breathing. I cant seem to get enough air out and the Co2 builds. I've been watching TI (total immersion) videos trying to get a better breathing rhythm. Maybe check them out.

I had my first sprint tri last weekend. For the 1/4 mile swim I had water chop from my right front so I struggled out. And since I cant bi lateral breath an I I breath on my left side and run out of air I ended up side swimming, to keep from drowning, most of the way back in and was exhausted for the rest of the race. I had a 12:04 1/4 miles swim. Clearly I need to improve my swimming.

This kind of reinforces the point I made in my earlier post in response to the OP.  12:04/quarter mile works out to ~ 2:43/100y.  That pace says your technique is the problem  NOT your breathing.  Sure, you could in all likelihood breath better but your technique is causing you to become anaerobic - thus feel like you can't catch your breath.  It's also why you "were exhausted for the rest of the race."

To no one in particular - if you want to become more proficient in the water focus on proper technique.  Get a couple lessons from a QUALIFIED coach or instructor.  You should be swimming 25's and 50's early on.  Don't worry about swimming "long," that will come in due time.  As your technique improves and you are no longer beating the water into submission you will lose the "out of breath" feeling.

2017-07-19 2:53 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Nothing wrong with doing lots of 25s, 50s.

Yup, and thanks again for the advice over the last year or two!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sorry, ANOTHER breathing post HELP Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Breathing in Aero

Started by scottficek
Views: 2266 Posts: 18

2017-03-22 5:13 AM marcag

Breathing during the race vs pool swimming

Started by jettabar99
Views: 2128 Posts: 16

2016-12-24 12:11 PM Oysterboy

Help me with my post race analysis

Started by badmo77a
Views: 1286 Posts: 13