Playtri
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 44s
Overall Rank = 29/159
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at normal 4:30am, got dressed and left. Went to McDonald's and got a sausage, egg & cheese mcmuffin & small caramel frappe. Never really gotten McD's before because it causes the need for immediate #2.
Got to the race site about 5:30am which is just when I wanted to get there to get a decent parking spot. Went to transition to set up stuff and went back to truck to chill for a little bit. My race was supposed to start around 7:30/7:40 after Oly swimmers were finished.
Event warmup:

At about 6:40 or what I thought would be about 45 minutes before race start I did a little jogging with some sprint bursts to get my blood flowing and get rid of any anxiety, etc. Stretched and jogged a little more. Got to the swim start probably 20 minutes before the actual start and tried staying loose. Made sure to make my way towards the front so I didn't have to swim over a lot of people. That decision ended up paying off quite nicely as the swim was not crowded at all.
Swim
  • 07m
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

2 turn buoys that we turned right at. Of course it always get a little congested, but by starting probably 10-15th it helped that not many slow people were out there yet. I don't think I passed anyone and I only remember getting passed by maybe 2 people. Everyone thought the distance looked quite a bit less than 500m and I would agree. Especially considering my time. I'm not a 1:24/100m swimmer! Really tried focusing on breathing and everything I've been practicing in training.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Had a little bit of dinosaur brain and had trouble taking my ear plugs out and into my tri suit pocket.

Need to learn and practice having shoes already clipped in and running with bike barefoot to get faster in transition.
Bike
  • 44m 51s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to speed nicely but almost immediately started noticing my quads protesting a little. I thought I had mostly gotten this worked out in brick training. So I backed off just a little to give my legs a little more time to warm up. I stayed in aero 95% of the time and through the corners as well which helped because I saw quite a few people sit up through the corners. I see these guys zoom by me on their TT bikes and I can't help but think I could maybe be a little faster with a better bike.

Nothing. I think I did well to back off the throttle a little because I had a really great run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s

Again, need to learn how to dismount barefoot to decrease transition time.
Run
  • 22m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

My sunglasses broke as I was trying to put them on at the start and I threw them out. I think I got water at each aid station and 98% I splashed onto myself and drank the remainder. I went out quickly and settled into a good pace. Didn't really check my watch to see my pace and just went on feel. Told myself that pain is ok. Quads never acted up which I was extremely grateful for. Finished with a big kick about 250m out.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Took a while to get breathing under control and cool down. I was just pouring sweat everywhere. Walked the course a little bit to cheer on other racers. Stretched and went to transition to get my stuff. Never dreamed I'd get 3rd place in my AG otherwise I would've hung around for awards. I was probably the 3rd person to leave transition with my stuff and go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike leg. Its where we spend the majority of time during a race and I need to get faster - plain & simple. I've worked a lot in the last 2 months or so at speed.

Event comments:

I like doing this particular race because this was my very first. This was my 6th time to do this race.

Last updated: 2017-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 500 meters | 01m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 38/159
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 turn buoys that we turned right at.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:51 | 14 miles | 18.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 40/159
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops with a couple of small hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:48 | 03.1 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 19/159
Course: Out & back two times. Small hill at the furthest turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes