General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-20 2:46 PM

Subject: Ironman Florida
Hey Everyone!

I'm starting to plan my 2018 schedule and am looking into the possibility of doing Ironman Florida. I will be doing my 3rd full IM in September (all of them have been in Wisconsin) and while I love Wisconsin, I want a different challenge and change of scenery.

I've been reading race reports and course reviews on Florida but the one thing that concerns me is the ocean swim. I've lived in the Midwest my entire life so ocean swimming has never been an option for me, unless you count the times I went to the beach on vacation with my cousins growing up. Swimming is not my strongest event but I can get through a 2.4 mile swim in choppy water. I've never experienced a swim in real waves, although I did complete the Door County Half this past weekend that had some decent waves. Lake Michigan can have waves, but when that happens they usually close the beaches.

I'm a strong cyclist and runner. I did read that the bike can be windy but I've biked Wisconsin hills in 20mph winds so I'm not too concerned. I did read that because Florida is so flat you'll have to take breaks from being in aero. As far as running is concerned, I've completed 20 marathons so I'm not too worried.

Like I said, I'm mostly concerned with the ocean swim. I really like Florida in the fact that the bike and run is flat so I have a good chance of getting a PR. I was looking into doing some HIM races on the East coast next summer that includes some ocean swims, just to get acclimated. I also looked at Gulf Coast 70.3 next May, but from what I read the swim has a chance of getting canceled and it can be hot (living in Illinois, a hot May race does not give me enough time to acclimate to the heat).

If anyone can give me an insight to this race or any tips to swimming in the ocean that would be great!!

Thanks

2017-07-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: katgirl2013

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
The swim is in the gulf, so most of the time (from what I hear) it's pretty calm. I did it last year and it was pretty wavy. I rarely swim in the ocean, so I had some trouble siting because of it, but other than that, once you get out past the breakers, it's just rolling up and down. I was told that last year was an outlier though and normally the swim is pretty calm. One other thing to note is that it's a two loop course, so you swim 1.2 miles, then run on the beach and do the loop a second time. So it's just like a 70.3 swim only twice.

The bike was windy last year, and there are some rolling hills on the back half of the course, but if you've done Wisconsin, you probably won't even notice them. The run is a great course with great support.
2017-07-20 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

How about a "training camp" this fall in PCB?  Spend a week *near* IMF time and swim, swim, swim.  

2017-07-23 1:07 PM
in reply to: #5224720

I live in FL and while I can't speak for Panama City beach where IM Florida is held, I live, train, and swim frequently in the gulf and it is a gorgeous swim. Just raced an Oly tri yesterday in St Pete and the water was a little choppy (storms rolled in and the bike and run were in the pouring rain!) but the water is beautiful and usuallly very clear. I'm not a fan of murky water in lakes, but yesterday in the gulf we were at least 400-500 yards off shore and no idea how deep water but you could still see the bottom - it was gorgeous. I second the previous poster's advice to take a trip or two down here and get some gulf swim training in. I haven't done an IM yet but I plan on making IM FL my first.
2017-07-23 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Sounds like you have the bike and run pretty well taken care of so regarding the swim, here's my 2 cents. I have done IM Florida 5 times, and raced the course as the old Gulf Coast Triathlon multiple others. I think every swim has been different - some only subtly, some radically, and some just cancelled. The prime determinant of what your swim will be like is wind direction and how long it's been blowing that direction. A long slow blow from the gulf tends to pile waves and make a rougher/choppier swim. North wind as the fall cold fronts come through, tends to blow the waves flat and gives you a nice quiet swim. If the wind has begun to shift from the north over a 24 hour period or so, conditions can be amazing. I have had races choking on spray/saltwater (learn to breath both sides), some where I have felt just a little queasy, and some where I spent the time watching the fish below me and the feet in front of me and wondering how we got so lucky. I also have had a cancelled IM swim - not so much due to the chop, but the winds blew the safety craft right off the course. One year at the GCT we watched one of the earlier waves start and saw someone take wave in the face, get knocked over and turn around and walk out the water. Learn how to negotiate the breakers (dive under them) and how to get the past the break. Once you're past the break, you're home free - salt water and (usually) wetsuits make for a fast swim.

On the bike, do not underestimate the wind. The year they cancelled the swim, the wind was fierce from the northwest so the first 20+ miles were dead upwind. The wind had decreased during the day so the last 20 miles was fun, but not as fun as hoped. Wind out of the west means the long straight pulls are up- or down-wind. Finally, wherever the wind is when you start, the sea breeze tends to build from the south and east during the day, so the last 5 miles are always upwind.

The run is fun, but there are a lot of turns and crossings - meanderings through a bunch of the neighborhoods where the locals come out to party and help. They will also keep you abreast of the college football scores if ya need that.

Finally, keep your eye on the weather. Fall cold fronts can come through and change the wind and temperature radically in a couple hours - you need to be prepared to change your plan (and your clothing requirements) if that occurs. IM Florida is a great race. The RD is passionate about getting you the best experience possible. I strongly recommend trying the Gulf Coast 70.3 as a course reconnoiter. It will make your mind much easier come November.
2017-07-24 4:57 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

Thank you so much for all the information! I've been reading past race reports and actually watching videos on how people handled the swim start. It sounds like the swim can go either way, depending on the wind. However, it seems like there have been more good years than bad. I can handle choppy water, it's big waves that has me nervous simply because we don't get them up here so I don't get to practice swimming in those conditions.

I was thinking of doing Gulf Coast, but I'll have to see if my coach thinks it'll make sense. It's pretty early in the season but if I use it as a training day then at least I'll get a good feel for it and not stress about time.

I do see that registration is still open for IM Florida, which surprised me. Do you know about when it sells out?

Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help wanted. Ironman Florida 2005 DVD

Started by weisserkenianer
Views: 846 Posts: 1

2017-07-05 2:15 AM weisserkenianer

Rev3 Florida / Tri-Rock Clearwater

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 750 Posts: 3

2016-09-19 4:10 PM Oysterboy