General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes for Big People Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-15 8:05 PM

New user

Houston, Texas
Subject: Bikes for Big People
Can anyone offer insight into which brands of tri-bikes and/or road bikes work better for larger folks? I hope to weigh 220 again someday, so the range would be 220-260ish. Also, I keep breaking chains. Not completely in half or anything, but the links stretch and then my bike "misses" as I pedal. I am on my third chain. What brands are more heavy duty? Thanks.

2003-12-15 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2549

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Bikes for Big People
I would suggest looking into a carbon fiber bike. I personally ride the Kestrel Talon and have no complaints. A heavy built person will tend to stress an aluminum frame over a period of time and my research indicated that they wouldn't hold up as well. My intial bike was a hybrid and was a big hunk of steel, but got me started. I have just completed my second season on my Kestrel and it has stress tested very well.
As far as your chain goes, I would suggest trying not to shift when it is in a bind. Ease up just a little on your pedaling stroke and let the bike shift and then you can hammer down again. If you keep having trouble with the chains let a good bike mechanic take a look at it. You might have a sprocket that is worn and causing your problems.

Still Tri'n,
Michael
2003-12-16 3:08 AM
in reply to: #2555

New user

Houston, Texas
Thanks for the information Micheal. I am going to try and make my Cannondale aluminum (R600) work for my training and my first event in September. Hopefully, I will be ready to upgrade next Fall. It seems everybody is talking about Cervelo and Litespeed Blades but I had read somewhere else that the Cervelo frames were not well suited for guys like us. I will get more information on Kestrel. On another subject, I have a hard time finding biking specific clothes. Is there a certain brand that caters to the XXL-XXXL crowd?
2003-12-16 6:00 AM
in reply to: #2566

I'm a big dude too. You're fortunate to be able to ride outside all year. I'm in Ontario, Canada and there is already 4" of snow on the ground. I'm currently 302 lbs and I have just got back on board with tri training. I was a svelt 228 lbs in 1997 and I completed 6 Olympic distance tris that year...then I fell off the wagon BIG TIME!!! As far as bikes go...I ride a well built Infinity Cr-Mo frame with 36 spoke wheels. It has served me well however, if money was no object I would look at titanium. Aluminum is really stiff and a little hard on the Big Boy's body so I would ride a larger tire for training (700x25) and throw a (700x23) on for racing. My biggest problem (other than my gut resting on the top tube...just kidding?) is bottom bracket flex during climbing...I stay seated as long as I can thinking about the day when I can afford titanium. Good luck on your journey. Don't hope to be 220... stay focused and make it happen.

Big Gord
2003-12-16 6:07 AM

...forgot to add the clothing thing

I have had luck with BikeNashbar's house brand and Mountain Equipment Co-op (in Canada) www.mec.ca

I have a 52" chest (Nashbar jerseys fit) and 42" waist (MEC's XXL shorts are quite comfortable)

Gord
2003-12-16 12:45 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Try www.mtborah.com for big boy gear.

I ride aerospoke rims which are heavier but they are aero. I ride the contential gator skin 700x23 tires and use the slime lite tube which is a self healing tube.

Still Tri'n
Michael

Edited by Michael 2003-12-16 12:45 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes for Big People Rss Feed