General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "It's Just a Sprint" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-07-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: "It's Just a Sprint"
I'm not saying you shouldn't be proud of your accomplishment. You've done a lot more than the very large majority of the population, and you're in better shape than probably 99% of people out there.

That being said; there is a big difference between being committed to something for 4 weeks than there is sticking with something for 400 weeks like the really fast people do.

PS, I'm not purporting to being one of those "fast" people.

2017-07-27 9:09 AM

User image

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure that I come no where close to what 3mar would think of as a triathlete. I have a day job and family but I'm training 6 days a week with 8-9 sessions total. I'm not sponsored I'm not looking to get sponsored, but I'm going to get better and I am trying to beat my time every race and I'm going to try to win against my competition. Everyone has a learning curve. I've done one race and I know I'm a triathlete now, because I'm committed to more. I also know what full time training feels like. In college I was more of a football player than a student. I still don't feel like I am any less of an athlete now because I don't workout/practice/watch film 4-6 hrs daily. I'm going to get faster and I'm going to learn what type of pace and rate my body can maintain.
2017-07-27 9:25 AM
in reply to: jnuger

User image

Regular
Originally posted by jnuger

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure that I come no where close to what 3mar would think of as a triathlete. I have a day job and family but I'm training 6 days a week with 8-9 sessions total. I'm not sponsored I'm not looking to get sponsored, but I'm going to get better and I am trying to beat my time every race and I'm going to try to win against my competition. Everyone has a learning curve. I've done one race and I know I'm a triathlete now, because I'm committed to more. I also know what full time training feels like. In college I was more of a football player than a student. I still don't feel like I am any less of an athlete now because I don't workout/practice/watch film 4-6 hrs daily. I'm going to get faster and I'm going to learn what type of pace and rate my body can maintain.

I think the majority of the people feel this way. I work full time (60+ hours per week) and have an hour or so to commit to working out, usually around 5:00am. My main reason for doing races is motivation to stay in shape. I have no delusions that I am going to win my age group. My goal is to finish in the top half to top third and to beat my previous time. I dont think that makes me less of an athlete nor do I think of my self as just a "participant". I am competing, with realistic goals.
2017-07-27 9:28 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm not trying to belittle anyone here. Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, but very few stick with it (that goes for piano, learning languages, painting, running, triathlon, shooting, hunting, fishing...everything). There is simply a difference between those that want to, or start, to those that actually commit. I've started and stopped playing piano a hundred times, and I'll get into a zone where I'll play for a couple of weeks and get sort of proficient again. I would never compare myself to someone who dedicates their life to it.

The bottom line is, that if you 'just' committed enough time and energy to 'just' finish...then yeah...it's 'just' a sprint.
2017-07-27 9:31 AM

User image

Pro

I remodeled our entire house when we bought it 15 years ago.  For 10 months I spent every waking moment, when I wasn't working, learning and putting what I learned to practice.  I repaired a broken roof joist.  I built a kitchen island and installed a tiled granite counter top on it and the rest of the kitchen that people rave about when they come to my home.  I gutted and replaced the vanities and tubs and plumbing in 3 bathrooms.  I learned how to install a hickory hardwood floor over the entire family room/kitchen area.  It turned out so well I did all of the bedrooms in oak.  I sprayed a new "popcorn" ceiling onto the entire house. I could go on and on about the time and effort it took me and how proud I am of how it turned out.  I never thought I could do anything like that. 

I AM NOT A CARPENTER!!!!!

2017-07-27 9:52 AM
in reply to: 3mar

3mar - I don't think any of us "just" folks are comparing ourselves to the elite, the triathletes who finish wicked fast. We compare ourselves to, well, ourselves, and realize there's a significant difference between us and them. And that's okay.

2017-07-27 9:54 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

I AM NOT A CARPENTER!!!!!

Alex, I'll go with, "things that LB doesn't have in common with Jesus", for 300.
2017-07-27 9:57 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Trine

3mar - I don't think any of us "just" folks are comparing ourselves to the elite, the triathletes who finish wicked fast. We compare ourselves to, well, ourselves, and realize there's a significant difference between us and them. And that's okay.

Of course it's ok. I think it's great frankly and would never discourage it in a million years. But in those cases, it's just a hobby, or just a race or just a sprint. Like when I fumble my way through Chopin on the piano, it's just....well a hot mess frankly.

The thread is about what makes something "just" something. When someone doesn't have the time/energy/wherewithall/whatever to commit...that's when it becomes "just" something. Doesn't make it bad.
2017-07-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I grow a few tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and one year I had a few strawberries.  My garden is small and some years I don't get around to it.  But when I do it's on like donkie kong.  I have amassed a garage wall rack full of implements that I can use to cultivate, fertilize, prune, and take care of my plants. I own overalls dammit!!  I have my wife bring home manure from her horses stall to mix into the soil.  I love the way fresh vegetables taste and I am proud to be able to give some to friends when I have extra.

I AM NOT A FARMER!!!!!!!

Edited by Left Brain 2017-07-27 10:31 AM
2017-07-27 10:31 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Here's a final thought; you just committed 4 weeks to something. The next 396 weeks are wide open. Want to make it no longer "just" a sprint.....GO! The next 396 weeks are whatever you WANT to make them.
2017-07-27 10:39 AM

User image

Pro

One time, I was cleaning the gutters on my house and the damn ladder slipped out from under me.   I was on the back side of my house where the yard grades away for the walk out basement. I had put the ladder on that grade like an idiot and was maybe 15-18 feet up. I was leaning way too far to the right and when the ladder went I grabbed the gutter for dear life.  That gutter pulled off of the house and I rode it to the ground as 20 feet of it pulled away.  I nearly chit my pants but landed softly on my feet like it was all planned.

I AM NOT A STUNT MAN!!!!

2017-07-27 10:59 AM

I sprayed a new "popcorn" ceiling onto the entire house.

Whoever buys your house will curse you!

Hope you took down a wall and "really opened up the space..."
Installed granite countertops, a double sink in the master, designed a "great outdoor space", added a bonus room, created a space that would be "great for entertaining", and built one huge closet for "her" and a miniscule closet for "him", or you will never ever be able to sell your house to someone on House Hunters.

In my musical career I got to the second highest level of competition. The level right before you win money if you win. We call that level "professional". I quit the solo competitive effort at that point because I realized if I ever made it to "the bigs", I'd be only slightly better than Moonlight Graham in that I'd get the call....and strike out looking on my one and only at-bat.

I waffle between considering whether I'm actually a musician. I can make money doing it. I'm damn good. Better than probably 99.5% of the people who play. If I played a mainstream instrument...say a trumpet...as well as I play mine, I'd be good enough for probably anything shy of the toppest of top symphonies. Maybe pretty far down the row from first chair at the mid-tier ones, but I'd have no trouble getting a gig.

I can't tell if I'm a musician or not. The rest of the mainstream music world sure doesn't even consider some of our best as actual musicians. It's not my singular pursuit in life. Sure, it's a passion. Sure, at times it consumes me. But, it doesn't define me. I guess I could be accurate and say I'm a former musician. But that's not even accurate as I can approach my music now with a maturity that I didn't have when I was 22. I just choose not to leverage that in a completely immersive way...which clearly keeps me from being a musician.

I guess that's what it comes down to. It doesn't define me. Triathlon is even further down the list of things that might define me. Way further down, if I'm honest. I'd give it up before music. In a heartbeat. Sure, I might tradeoff...but longterm...no chance. Throw in work, career, family, general "fitness", life....tri has no chance.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-07-27 11:01 AM
2017-07-27 11:05 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jhaack39
Originally posted by Left Brain I sprayed a new "popcorn" ceiling onto the entire house.
Whoever buys your house will curse you! Hope you took down a wall and "really opened up the space..." Installed granite countertops, a double sink in the master, designed a "great outdoor space", added a bonus room, created a space that would be "great for entertaining", and built one huge closet for "her" and a miniscule closet for "him", or you will never ever be able to sell your house to someone on House Hunters. In my musical career I got to the second highest level of competition. The level right before you win money if you win. We call that level "professional". I quit the solo competitive effort at that point because I realized if I ever made it to "the bigs", I'd be only slightly better than Moonlight Graham in that I'd get the call....and strike out looking on my one and only at-bat. I waffle between considering whether I'm actually a musician. I can make money doing it. I'm damn good. Better than probably 99.5% of the people who play. If I played a mainstream instrument...say a trumpet...as well as I play mine, I'd be good enough for probably anything shy of the toppest of top symphonies. Maybe pretty far down the row from first chair at the mid-tier ones, but I'd have no trouble getting a gig. I can't tell if I'm a musician or not. The rest of the mainstream music world sure doesn't even consider some of our best as actual musicians. It's not my singular pursuit in life. Sure, it's a passion. Sure, at times it consumes me. But, it doesn't define me. I guess I could be accurate and say I'm a former musician. But that's not even accurate as I can approach my music now with a maturity that I didn't have when I was 22. I just choose not to leverage that in a completely immersive way...which clearly keeps me from being a musician. I guess that's what it comes down to. It doesn't define me. Triathlon is even further down the list of things that might define me. Way further down, if I'm honest. I'd give it up before music. In a heartbeat. Sure, I might tradeoff...but longterm...no chance. Throw in work, career, family, general "fitness", life....tri has no chance.

Well, you know I've heard you play.........it was badass.  I'd pay to hear it.

2017-07-27 11:57 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Now imagine if we transferred this mentality to music...someone spends a couple hours a week for 4-6 weeks learning the violin. Think about where that much time would get just about anyone....maybe ode to joy? Now imagine that same person insisting that their rendition of ode to joy is not just a recital and they are a violinist.

Does this mean nobody should ever pick up a violin? Of course not! But let's keep some perspective. In this case; it is "just" ode to joy.

Edited by 3mar 2017-07-27 11:59 AM
2017-07-27 12:06 PM

Originally posted by 3mar

Here's a final thought; you just committed 4 weeks to something. The next 396 weeks are wide open. Want to make it no longer "just" a sprint.....GO! The next 396 weeks are whatever you WANT to make them.

Already committed for second sprint on October 1 (y'all were right - I need to swim freestyle, so that's what I'm committed to conquering right now), a metric century bike ride on August 26 and October 21, a century in April next year, and my goal is to do an Oly at the end of next season.... I really want to do well and better myself.

Maybe a HIM in 2019...

Plus, this is the most fun I've had working out in years. I don't foresee myself stopping any time soon.

2017-07-27 12:12 PM

Now imagine if we transferred this mentality to music...someone spends a couple hours a week for 4-6 weeks learning the violin. Think about where that much time would get just about anyone....maybe ode to joy? Now imagine that same person insisting that their rendition of ode to joy is not just a recital and they are a violinist.

Does this mean nobody should ever pick up a violin? Of course not! But let's keep some perspective. In this case; it is "just" ode to joy.

I don't even know that they'd get that far....

I don't even know what we're discussing anymore

2017-07-27 12:13 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Trine
Originally posted by 3mar Here's a final thought; you just committed 4 weeks to something. The next 396 weeks are wide open. Want to make it no longer "just" a sprint.....GO! The next 396 weeks are whatever you WANT to make them.
Already committed for second sprint on October 1 (y'all were right - I need to swim freestyle, so that's what I'm committed to conquering right now), a metric century bike ride on August 26 and October 21, a century in April next year, and my goal is to do an Oly at the end of next season.... I really want to do well and better myself. Maybe a HIM in 2019... Plus, this is the most fun I've had working out in years. I don't foresee myself stopping any time soon.

You can do that!  Stick with the swimming and it'll become even more fun!

2017-07-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: #5224892

Sarasota, Florida
This thread makes it sound like you could commit all kinds of crimes but not be a criminal
2017-07-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Pro
Originally posted by runtim23This thread makes it sound like you could commit all kinds of crimes but not be a criminal
Oh for sure......just ask anyone who commits a lot of crimes.
2017-07-27 5:17 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Depends on whose definition you are using--I think LB would say you would have to earn your living full-time from criminality and be a master bank robber or whatever (perhaps, be so good at what you do that you have never been caught??). By mine, as long as you are truly committed to a life of crime, make planning for and committing crimes a priority in your day to day life, work consistently to improve your safecracking and escape skills, feel a bit empty inside on days you don't commit a crime, can't visualize anything but a life of crime, and think that being a criminal is a key part of your identity (though likely not the only part), then, yes, you are a criminal.

Why am I wasting time with this silly stuff? Need to go run.
2017-07-27 6:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

One time, I was cleaning the gutters on my house and the damn ladder slipped out from under me.   I was on the back side of my house where the yard grades away for the walk out basement. I had put the ladder on that grade like an idiot and was maybe 15-18 feet up. I was leaning way too far to the right and when the ladder went I grabbed the gutter for dear life.  That gutter pulled off of the house and I rode it to the ground as 20 feet of it pulled away.  I nearly chit my pants but landed softly on my feet like it was all planned.

I AM NOT A STUNT MAN!!!!

LB - Does this mean that even though you are the proud parent of several kids, you are not a ...lover ??

cheers!

2017-07-27 9:43 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Hot RunnerDepends on whose definition you are using--I think LB would say you would have to earn your living full-time from criminality and be a master bank robber or whatever (perhaps, be so good at what you do that you have never been caught??). By mine, as long as you are truly committed to a life of crime, make planning for and committing crimes a priority in your day to day life, work consistently to improve your safecracking and escape skills, feel a bit empty inside on days you don't commit a crime, can't visualize anything but a life of crime, and think that being a criminal is a key part of your identity (though likely not the only part), then, yes, you are a criminal. Why am I wasting time with this silly stuff? Need to go run.
LOL......nobody who commits to a life of crime calls themself a criminal.....it's just work. seriously.....ask one.
2017-07-27 10:23 PM

User image

Pro
Sorry. DP....... I AM NOT A WRITER!!!

Edited by Left Brain 2017-07-27 10:25 PM
2017-07-28 2:06 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Funny, although I do not call myself a triathlete, I call myself a musician, even though I am not a pro at all either, and only play for fun.

go figure...

2017-07-30 8:41 AM

User image

Regular

Ok, I'll play along. Imagine someone who spends 4-5 hours a week practicing and playing golf. That person then plays Augusta National and shoots an 80, not great, but still a very good score. Is that person a golfer or simply someone who plays golf? Trying to find your dividing line, because it seems if you are not a professional level, you are simply a participant. If that's the case, then 99.9% of us are simply participants in life, including our careers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "It's Just a Sprint" Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

4.21.17 It's Friday!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 695 Posts: 8

2017-04-21 11:25 PM simpsonbo

It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Goggles Pizzano
Views: 7162 Posts: 98

2017-03-16 6:36 AM alicefoeller