General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compartment Syndrome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-26 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Compartment Syndrome
I have been having increasing pain in my lower leg (posterior) for the past 3 months. Usually starts about 10 minutes after running and until this past week lessened in intensity so I could finish my run. This week, it just was continuous and continued even after I finished. It feels like a hard cramp or a bad shin splint. I did some research online about shin splints, but the symptoms exactly match something called compartment syndrome. Wondering if anyone here has been diagnosed with this and how they dealt with it.

I have an appointment with an orthropedist, but I could not get in for a few weeks. Also considering a Chiropractor. Be interested in any feedback

2017-07-27 12:05 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Compartment Syndrome

I'd consider a PT first, if possible someone that has lower leg expertise.  I am fortunate enough to know someone that helps our family tremendously.  I'll ask him about this for you.

2017-07-27 12:32 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Donto

I'd consider a PT first, if possible someone that has lower leg expertise.  I am fortunate enough to know someone that helps our family tremendously.  I'll ask him about this for you.

I'll second the PT, they help you find and correct the muscle imbalance. Drs want to give you pills, tell you to rest, or cut you open.
2017-07-27 12:55 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

He said highly unlikely CS, that it's typically a result of trauma and usually requires the knife (surgery).  Suggest to ask MD for a PT referral if your insurance requires it.  Likely deep tissue active release is all you would need if you can still walk and run.  Based on my experiences I'd agree. Be prepared to sweat, cry, exhibit PT induced tourettes!

2017-07-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by Donto

I'll second the PT, they help you find and correct the muscle imbalance. Drs want to give you pills, tell you to rest, or cut you open.

No knife, unless I cant walk! All other options will be tried/exhausted first. I have an appointment today with a Chiro who also practices active release. My son is in Chiropractic school and will learn active release techniques for his practice. For now I have to pay for college AND treatment. Oh well.

Appreciate the feedback!

Edited by hessma 2017-07-27 2:13 PM
2017-07-27 3:26 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

You'll be all set in the future though!

My son starts college this fall, right wants to be a PT so it's basically the Exercise Science 4 yr program and after 2 he can choose his direction for PT, PA, others as he decided when he gets to that point.

My daughter wants to be a trauma nurse or PA.

We have a deal in place, 100% of schooling paid for and you take care of mom and dad later!

2017-08-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Well, saw the orthopedist today and looks like my running season is over. Beginnings of a stress fracture (stress condition or a stress reaction) and he advised me to take at least 4 weeks off from running. Good news is I can swim and bike, so I will concentrate on that. Bummed, as I had planned on doing a sprint in early Sept followed by an HM in early Oct. Will probably do the aquavelo instead of the tri, but the HM looks like its out. Oh well, on to next year.

Edited by hessma 2017-08-07 1:07 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compartment Syndrome Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Backpack with wet and dry compartments?

Started by T.C.
Views: 2204 Posts: 6

2017-06-13 3:44 PM melbo55

Piriformis syndrome

Started by mdg2003
Views: 5048 Posts: 22

2016-11-17 11:10 PM OhioLady