General Discussion Triathlon Talk » triathlon bike comparison Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-04 4:29 PM

Subject: triathlon bike comparison
Hello,

I am interested in one of these two bikes

http://www.cyclepaul.com/en/product-catalogue/road-bikes/trek-emond...

https://www.bicyclesmcw.com/en/product/2015-felt-s32

As you can see, there is a huge price difference. $1100. I care about weight. The cheaper one, aluminum, is 20.9 pounds. The carbon is 18.5 pounds.

That is a 2.5 pound difference. In terms of performance, will that really make a difference?

2017-08-04 5:15 PM
in reply to: tcon123

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: triathlon bike comparison
Originally posted by tcon123

That is a 2.5 pound difference. In terms of performance, will that really make a difference?

No.

Also, one is a tribike and one is a road bike.

Assuming a good position on the tribike, you'd likely be faster on the tribike even though it is heavier.

Shane
2017-08-04 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I think you would feel a noticeable difference if you ride a lot of hills. On flats, the tri bike is prob faster. Are you wanting this bike for triathlons? Do you ride in groups a lot?
2017-08-04 5:49 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Champion
Originally posted by pistuo

I think you would feel a noticeable difference if you ride a lot of hills.

This is extremely unlikely.

Shane
2017-08-04 6:34 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

Yup.
2017-08-05 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

The two bikes you listed are quite different.  One is a mid-level carbon road bike with Ultegra drive train, the other is an entry-level triathlon bike.  You're comparing apples and oranges.  Both are fruits, but very different fruits.

For triathlons, weight isn't very important instead it's the aerodynamics that are very important.  

The purpose of a tri bike is to put the huge non-aerodynamic rider in the best possible low-air-drag position known as "aero position".  The bike has significant changes to the geometry of the entire bike to accommodate this.I'm going to link some images off the Internet from http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml, you should read the article.

Bike angles

And here's another image showing real bikes and how the tri bike rotates the entire rider so the hip angle in aero is still about the same as the road bike rider.  Tri bike aero position isn't just bending at the waist.

Here's an image that's floated around a while (from another article http://gearwestbike.com/articles/tri-bike-or-road-bike-pg54.htm)

Pretty clearly shows the differences.

2017-08-17 2:17 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by brucemorgan

The two bikes you listed are quite different.  One is a mid-level carbon road bike with Ultegra drive train, the other is an entry-level triathlon bike.  You're comparing apples and oranges.  Both are fruits, but very different fruits.

For triathlons, weight isn't very important instead it's the aerodynamics that are very important.  

The purpose of a tri bike is to put the huge non-aerodynamic rider in the best possible low-air-drag position known as "aero position".  The bike has significant changes to the geometry of the entire bike to accommodate this.I'm going to link some images off the Internet from http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml, you should read the article.

Bike angles

And here's another image showing real bikes and how the tri bike rotates the entire rider so the hip angle in aero is still about the same as the road bike rider.  Tri bike aero position isn't just bending at the waist.

Here's an image that's floated around a while (from another article http://gearwestbike.com/articles/tri-bike-or-road-bike-pg54.htm)

Pretty clearly shows the differences.

Great answer. Would like to add that the tri-bike geometry serves 2 purposes - aero position as well as to provide max power to the pedals from the body. Not to say that non-tri bikes don't want this, but the tri bike position is optimize for power transfer in the tuck.
2017-08-17 10:14 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Shane

All I can speak is from my own experience. Where I live, we have a lot of hills. I only had a triathlon bike when I first started. After a couple years, I added a road bike to the stable. Both bikes were about the same weights listed and I was cruising up hills on the road bike with much less effort. Multiple people in my riding group noticed it and commented on it as well.

-w
2017-08-18 7:42 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Shane

All I can speak is from my own experience. Where I live, we have a lot of hills. I only had a triathlon bike when I first started. After a couple years, I added a road bike to the stable. Both bikes were about the same weights listed and I was cruising up hills on the road bike with much less effort. Multiple people in my riding group noticed it and commented on it as well.

-w

What was the gearing difference on 2 bikes? this is much more noticeable than weight

I have a 12 mile bike commute to work- 1500 ft of climbing in 12 miles. I pack paniers with my work gear, lunch and stuff to clean up with 15 to 20lbs over normal ride weight. The weight varies depending on the day. A 2 lbs difference in gear I cannot say I can feel. A 2 lbs difference in my body weight I would say is noticeable, that probably has more to do with the effects of body weight on my cardio system.
I would say a 5lb difference in gear you will feel.

2017-08-18 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

The obvious answer is that you need them both.

2017-08-18 9:19 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by briderdt

The obvious answer is that you need them both.

[/Thread]

2017-08-20 8:04 AM

User image

Champion

-w

This is almost certainly a combination of gearing and position; the gearing on a tribike tends to be more aggressive than a road bike and for many people, it is easier to climb on a road bike where you can sit up and slide back in the saddle which opens up the hip angle and often leads to greater power generation.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » triathlon bike comparison Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First triathlon bike?

Started by fkris
Views: 1578 Posts: 8

2017-07-28 10:10 AM brigby1

Triathlon bikes

Started by Gregspence
Views: 1239 Posts: 7

2016-12-24 2:58 PM Gregspence

Building an Efficient, Cost-Effective Beginner's Triathlon Bike

Started by ayrabinowitz_7
Views: 6225 Posts: 10

2016-12-05 1:34 PM briderdt

First Bike for Triathlons

Started by Teufelhunden25
Views: 2761 Posts: 12

2016-10-02 6:11 PM Troop4415

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9190 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Shifting on hills can be challenging. Here's some advice.