General Discussion Race Reports! » Janney & the Y North Park Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Janney & the Y North Park Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Allison Park, Pennsylvania
United States
Baierl Family YMCA
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 59s
Overall Rank = 60/180
Age Group = 44-49
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00. Ate peanut butter toast and left at 5:45. Got my bike out of the car and discovered I had a flat back tire. Luckily, Pro Bikes had a tent set up and they changed it for me very quickly. Set up transition (which was really crowded) and headed to the pool.
Event warmup:

Got in at 7:15 for the 7:30 start to do some warmup. Ended up being too early because there were announcements and the national anthem, so I was shivering by the start.
Swim
  • 14m 35s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was a little chilly, but it felt good once I got going. Four people to a lane. I only passed one woman who started at the other side and was doing breaststroke, I wasn't passed.
What would you do differently?:

I've been in the water exactly twice this week, and that was my only swimming for the past year or so. My strategy was to focus on cycling and let the swim take care of itself. It kind of worked, because my time wasn't that much slower given how much less work I put in. However, it kind of backfired too. The swim took a lot out of me, and I never really caught my breath again for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Since I was an even number in lane 13, I had one of the longest runs to transition on the concrete and pavement in bare feet. I was in and out of the transition area pretty quickly. I got on my bike ok, and got one foot on the shoe, but the other shoe flipped over, and I had to turn the crank twice all the way to get it to come around again. Had some trouble getting my feet in my shoes because I kept losing momentum, and the road was very narrow. I was swerving and people were passing me. It was a little harrowing, but not a complete disaster.

Practice mounting start on new bike some more.
Bike
  • 41m 27s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I really struggled to get any kind of rhythm going. I would fly downhill and come almost to a stop on the uphills. The road surface made it hard to stay on any kind of line.

Weight loss, more bike time would help.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was probably the best part of my race. I got my feet out right at the split between the lap and the exit. I thought I wasn't going to be able to get my right leg over the bar for a second, but second effort got it there and I performed a respectable running dismount.

Nothing.
Run
  • 29m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

It rained last night, so the course was muddy. You really had to watch where you put your feet. By this point, I was just plodding along and didn't want to have to think about where I put my feet. Had to walk a couple of steep up hills, but made it up when I picked up speed on the downhills.

More running, particularly after harder bike workouts. My legs were just dead so this was pretty much just survival.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked from the finish to the food tents and had a banana and Gatorade. Went and took a shower and walked back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, strength, training. Injuries: patellar tendonitis and trochanteric bursitis. Other than that it was good.

Event comments:

This was my first race, and even though the course is challenging, and the competition is stiff for a small local race, it's really fun and well-run, and I like to support it.

Last updated: 2017-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:35 | 700 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri top and bottom
Course: 14 laps in 50M pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:41:27 | 12 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 5 loops of the bike course. Hilly with some fun downhill sections and one long miserable hill. Road was in horrible condition.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:58 | 03.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly, muddy trail run through the woods. Course was well marked. There were two water stations and several groups of volunteer cheerers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-08-07 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh
Subject: Janney & the Y North Park Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Janney & the Y North Park Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lytle Park Triathlon

Started by gary p
Views: 877 Posts: 1

2017-06-12 12:44 PM gary p

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Richard B. Russell State Park

Started by billeckert
Views: 1065 Posts: 1

2017-01-30 8:13 AM billeckert

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner State Park

Started by billeckert
Views: 1160 Posts: 1