General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Age Group National Championship - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Omaha, Nebraska
United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 44s
Overall Rank = 665/1101
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 102/133
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 4:30 and I downed some oatmeal and a banana. I was the 1st wave scheduled to go off at 7AM so I wanted to eat quickly and digest as much as possible before race time. I was at transition by 5:30AM and had plenty of time to get myself setup, situated and try relax.
Event warmup:

Went for a quick jog and made sure everything was loose. We were delayed 30 mins but after getting everything loose I was ready to go.
Swim
  • 31m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Oh how I still suck at swimming! This was about a perfect a swim I could have asked for. Basically a quick out and back having to only go around 2 buoys. The water was calm, warm (no wetsuits) but I still somehow managed to swim well below my goal time of 25 mins. I got in a pack early, drafted well and felt relaxed but clearly I wasn't swimming hard enough and therefore was much slower than I was hoping to be.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Shoes, helmet and shades on and off I went. I ran past my rack but quickly found myself in the right place. Run was long but on nice grass so no issues running both barefoot and in my bike shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 37s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.51 km/hr
Comments:

Bike course was smooth and scenic. Given my history of cramping during the run, I decided to keep my bike hard but not overdo it and with an avg HR of 146 I more or less achieved my goal. There were a few spots where I found my HR dropping and I had a hard time pushing out of it but overall my bike was ok. Not great, not terrible. Given we were riding on a 2 lane road, there were a few sections where I got bunched up with a group of riders. At the time I didn't think anything of it, but I found out after the fact that I was hit with a 6 minute penalty which I can only imagine was for drafting. I've never drafted before, either intentionally or unintentionally, but clearly someone on e motorcycle thought otherwise. In the grand scheme of the results it took me from 83rd place to 102 so not exactly a deal breaker, but still frustrating.

Bike more and bike harder. This was a fast course and with the top guys in my AG biking around 24mph avg, I feel that I could get close to that without blowing myself up.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I took my feet out of my bike shoes before hitting the dismount line and ran into transition like a pro! This was the first time I've done this successfully in a race and it felt great. It helped that there was a long smooth road heading into transition so I knew I had time to do it but overall I was very happy with this and still feeling good.

Nothing
Run
  • 44m 24s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 26s  min/km
Comments:

2 loop course and basically flat. I tend to cramp badly on the run so I brought some HotShot with me and figure I go out at a comfortable pace and hope for the best. Mile 1 was 7:25, then 7:02, then 6:52. When I felt a cramp coming on a took a swig of HotShot and while there were a few places where I had to slow down, nothing stopped me dead in my tracks and I was able to run hard the whole race. I was very happy with my overall run time and this was definitely a 10K PR (in a tri) for me. My overall pace was 7:09/mile.
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't nearly as exhausted as I should have been which means I probably could have and should have gone harder but this was as close to a cramp free race as I've had in a long time so I was feeling good. My family was there at the finish line cheering me on so I couldn't have asked for a better ending to a long morning!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think more training time, especially on the bike, would allow me to push harder without sacrificing my run. I also clearly need to learn to swim faster but as a self taught adult onset swimmer, I may just need to invest or invent in a motor to attach to my feet!

Event comments:

This race was truly a 10/10. Everything was extremely well organized, volunteers were great and I doubt there's another Oly distance race with this level of competition anywhere else in the world. Hopefully I'll qualify again and be able to do better in the future.

Last updated: 2017-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:42 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/133
Overall: 0/1101
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:37 | 40 kms | 33.51 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:24 | 10 kms | 04m 26s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2017-08-14 10:16 AM

User image

Subject: USAT Age Group National Championship

2017-08-14 3:51 PM
in reply to: #5226226

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: USAT Age Group National Championship

Awesome job, mate. I was in your AG, too. What number were you? Wonder if we saw each other - I was 92.

That really stinks about the penalty. Both times on the big hill, I thought I'd get hit with a penalty. People got so bunched up, and it was unavoidable. I saw the official go by taking notes, and thought that was BS. Yes, within the letter of the rules, but come on.

Regardless, great work! Maybe we'll run into each other at a north Texas race some time.

2017-08-15 8:46 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Thanks Steve and congrats to you too! I was #77. When I saw the motorcyclist taking notes I figure there's no way they're giving out penalties when there's 10 of us going 14mph up the hill. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to slam on the brakes and get in line or just keep pushing which is what I did. Clearly I made the wrong decision according to USAT! Oh well...still had a great day and hope you did too.
2017-08-21 12:23 PM
in reply to: #5226226

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Glad you had a great race experience and no cramps!  Sorry to hear about the penalties.  You definitely were fast on the bike and run, wow!  Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USA Triathlon Club Nationals Halfmax

Started by cmbell
Views: 982 Posts: 1

2017-06-13 12:51 PM cmbell

Guam National MTB Championship

Started by Blanda
Views: 802 Posts: 1

2017-05-24 12:07 AM Blanda

USMS 2017 Spring Nationals

Started by Ridgelake
Views: 1481 Posts: 3