Wisconsin Masters Aquatic Club - Madison Area Masters
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 5:45 am, had my Sole water and oatmeal w blueberries, walnuts, and chia seeds. Just wore my swimsuit since we weren't going to ride bikes. Parked at the BMO lot and walked over. Had plenty of time after getting checked in. Met Colleen from Oconomowoc and hung out w her--she's doing her first IM. David got in to swim at 7:45, Colleen and I hopped in at 8:05. Safety meeting at 8:15, then the 1.2 and non wetsuit 2.4 started at 8:30. Got in and tread water waiting for our 8:40 start.
Event warmup:

Did a few stretches and just got into the water to get the cold leaks into my wetsuit (full vortex). Ate a Hammer gel right before the safety meeting 8:15 w few sips of water.
Swim
  • 1h 36m 48s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went a little harder on the second loop but did not go all out as I wanted to see what kind of time I'd have for Moo. Tended to stay inside the buoys--that seems to work well for me. Maybe that will be how I play MOO.
What would you do differently?:

Can definitely go harder. Was totally fresh when I got out, which is what I need for Moo.
Post race
Warm down:

Decent snacks--bagels, PB/jelly, granola bars, clementines, water, gatorade, and choc milk. Hung out to wait for awards--David took 2nd in his AG 50-55 with 59min (winner 54 min). Then walked back to BMO to drop off our gear and walked around the farmer's market a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't want to push too hard since I can't do it for MOO. Just need to move arms faster. Would also benefit if I could learn bilateral breathing.

Event comments:

This was a great, well-organized, pre-IM OWS. Good taste of what's coming up in 3 weeks (except 6x more bodies). Gotta think about placement for that.

Last updated: 2017-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:36:48 | 4224 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Had a rough time at the start, there were bodies everywhere and took and elbow to the left side of my jaw. Wow, that really hurt (afterwards couldn't open my mouth all the way and still sore tonight). Very frustrating trying to around/away from people. Had to swim w my head up the whole time until about 3/4 down the first stretch, then could at least put my head down for a few strokes. Pretty congested at the first turn, I thought "moo" but didn't actually do it out loud. Better on the back stretch but was weaving so much I probably swam an extra 2/10 mile. Checked my watch and the end of the first loop and was 47min. Much more open on 2nd loop. Ended up peeing 5x--not sure where all that liquid came from!
Suit: One piece fuscia
Course: The old IM WI double loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]