Other Resources The Political Joe » Total Solar Eclipse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-21 1:21 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Total Solar Eclipse

Just had the total eclipse move over us here......pretty damn awesome sight for sure.

2017-08-21 1:23 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Total Solar Eclipse

We only got 92% but it was still pretty amazing. The crescent shadows were the coolest part. 

2017-08-21 1:23 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

Planets and a few stars came out here, very brightly.

2017-08-21 2:44 PM
in reply to: Stacers

Master
, California

Originally posted by Stacers

We only got 92% but it was still pretty amazing. The crescent shadows were the coolest part. 

It was about the same percent where I am.  Not being in the totality zone it was still very bright outside, but the view with eclipse glasses was impressive.  There was also a fairly noticeable temperature drop.

That said, there was no way I was going to drive south to Oregon.  # of people down there right now is insane.

2017-08-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
, California

Let's keep this political discussion on track.  Eclipse viewing!

2017-08-21 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
It was definitely cool to see a total eclipse. There were folks here from all over the midwest. Some had driven to see many others. I can say, after witnessing a total eclipse from my house, I wouldn't drive across the street to see another one....checked the box, moving on.

2017-08-21 3:32 PM

Master
, California

This is a cool writeup of some years back when scientists followed the path of an eclipse in a Concorde.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/8q8qwk/the-concorde-and-the-longest-solar-eclipse

2017-08-21 10:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
We drove 2.5 hrs north to TN with boat in tow, My FB post about my wife Casey.

Casey is my hero! She planned and executed a marvelous adventure today. We drove to TN to a lake in middle of nowhere in the path of the full eclipse. I'd seen pictures of the full eclipse but pictures don't do justice to the experience. With a boatload of people we cruised the lake on the tritoon till we found a beachhead. We deployed Big Blue (raft), jumped in the water and put on our eclipse glasses. The excitement grew to a crescendo of constant "oh wow" and "OMG" and "so cool" until darkness fell. Cheers went up from boats all over the lake as darkness fell. Then everything got almost spooky quiet as we marveled quite literally awestruck. Casey looked at me with her face just beaming with joy and she noticed my eyes welling up. She ask what was wrong and my voice cracked as I said simple, "It's beautiful." We had a special hug; she knows her sappy husband as no one else does. It was a wonderful day.
2017-08-22 7:36 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Kind of an anticlimactic event in south Texas. I think we were about 60% or so. It really cooled off things for a couple hours and then the unrelenting heat returned shortly after the event.
2017-08-22 8:28 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Regular
Originally posted by mdg2003

Kind of an anticlimactic event in south Texas. I think we were about 60% or so. It really cooled off things for a couple hours and then the unrelenting heat returned shortly after the event.

Underwhelmed here in NJ. I think my expectations were for much more. I am told we were in the 80% range, but it did not seem to get dark or cooler. Cool to see through glasses, but otherwise, just a "meh" type thing.
2017-08-22 1:04 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro

Originally posted by hessma
Originally posted by mdg2003 Kind of an anticlimactic event in south Texas. I think we were about 60% or so. It really cooled off things for a couple hours and then the unrelenting heat returned shortly after the event.
Underwhelmed here in NJ. I think my expectations were for much more. I am told we were in the 80% range, but it did not seem to get dark or cooler. Cool to see through glasses, but otherwise, just a "meh" type thing.

I read a couple of days before the eclipse that even if you had 95% coverage it would still be thousands of times more light than a total eclipse.  This is the first total eclipse I've seen and, despite the reading up I did, it was still MUCH darker than I imagined it would be.  Think of 10 minutes or so after the sun goes down  in the evening....that was about right.  Planets and quite a few stars were clearly visible in the sky, which was a color NOTHING like an actual sunset, so that added some cool to the whole deal as well.

2017-08-22 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mdg2003 Kind of an anticlimactic event in south Texas. I think we were about 60% or so. It really cooled off things for a couple hours and then the unrelenting heat returned shortly after the event.

I read a couple of days before the eclipse that even if you had 95% coverage it would still be thousands of times more light than a total eclipse.  This is the first total eclipse I've seen and, despite the reading up I did, it was still MUCH darker than I imagined it would be.  Think of 10 minutes or so after the sun goes down  in the evening....that was about right.  Planets and quite a few stars were clearly visible in the sky, which was a color NOTHING like an actual sunset, so that added some cool to the whole deal as well.

Venus was the first light we saw during the eclipse. It was very bright and my wife called it right away as Venus.
2017-08-22 2:43 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Rogillio

Venus was the first light we saw during the eclipse. It was very bright and my wife called it right away as Venus.

For some reason you just reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYyUFb2wCQ

2017-08-22 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Rogillio

For some reason you just reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYyUFb2wCQ

My wife goes out every morning at 0500 to feed her horses and has done so for nearly 30 years. She had seen Venus rising that morning and knew where it would be relative to the sun. I am 100% certain she was right.
2017-08-22 9:40 PM

User image

Pro
I'm sure she was....Venus is really easy this time of year relative to the sun and moon. Without question it was the first "star" visible during the eclipse.
2017-09-05 4:00 PM

User image

Flew from L.A. to Portland, overnighted in Hood River and then drove to Madras on Sunday morning to camp out.  Saw maybe 20 cars in the 110 mile trip.  Took a bit to get into the festival grounds, but not bad and way better than I expected

I had read that totality was different than even 98 or 99%, wasn't sure how that could be true, but damn.  It's not just that it's better, having watched all the way to 99.9% and then totality, it is an entirely different experience altogether.  One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.  It lasted about 2:10, but seemed to go in the blink of an eye.  The chromosphere, prominences, baily's beads, all of it, just incredible to see with the naked eye.  I can see 80, 90, 95% being "meh," as I've seen that, and it doesn't actually start getting dark/diffuse or cold until estimated about 95%, i'd say it dropped easily 10 degrees before and after.

Was worried about getting out, hung out in the campground until about 3.  Took about 4 hours to get back to Portland (120 miles or so), but really only 3 bad areas of traffic. Completely worth it, talking about heading to MX for 2024.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Total Solar Eclipse Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Solar Wall Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1547 Posts: 35

2017-06-30 7:46 AM mdg2003
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 23, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
Total Immersion swimming icon put to new test