General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake St. Louis, Missouri
United States
City of Lake Saint Louis Parks and Recreation Department
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 33s
Overall Rank = 47/122
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

This race is close to my house which means I get to sleep in until 4:45 and still be first to transition at 5:30. This is also my shortest race of the season so I wasn't overly concerned with trying to cram in a bunch of calories for breakfast. I had a protein bar while loading up the car with gear and family.
Event warmup:

The lake was available for warm ups so I got in a frolicked a bit. I'm not a strong swimmer, but I find it calms the nerves to get in and make nice with the water before a race.
Swim
  • 34m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Le sigh, I do not know where the time went during the race. The weekend before I swam the exact course in two and a half minutes less. As far as I could tell, I was mostly on course so I can only assume that my form fell apart. What mystifies me is that I passed people...in the wave before me. Oh, but I can say that the last segment headed back to the beach was hellishly crowded. This portion is where the short-course folks join the long-course folks and the density of swimmers intensifies to the point where you can hardly catch a breath without inhaling the splash zone of your neighbor's flailing arms.
What would you do differently?:

I need to find a swim coach. If anyone reading this is one or knows one in the St. Charles, MO area, send them my way. I went to several OWS events to practice and my time is just dreadful. Especially compared to the pool (not that I'm setting any records inside a lap lane).
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Bookity book booked it through transition. I even put socks on. Because I like socks when I bike. Clippity clopped my way to the bike mount line and saddled up.

Nada.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 23s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

They changed the course this year from one lap with an obnoxiously steep hill and a few flat spots to two laps without that hill, but more hills and no flat spots...so, um, my time was pretty similar to last year. I'm a better biker than swimmer (thankfully), so I passed a lot of people on the course. I leap frogged this young fellow about ten times before I passed him and lost him for good. It took me forever to eat my GU so I kept having to yell "On your left!" with the thing hanging out of my mouth and I am sure it sound like absolute nonsense. Also, the Farmer's market we passed twice on the course opened and I briefly thought that maybe a juice smoothie would be more fun than the run.

I probably should have just chugged that GU as fast as possible. I might have managed more intelligible warnings.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Clippity clopped the bike back to the rack. Not many bikes back made me feel good...especially since there were so few there when I left transition after the swim.

Dunno...I'm not coordinated for that whole riding with your feet on top of your shoes. I'd rather not risk injury.
Run
  • 53m 33s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

So, the run was going to be the dodgey part for me. The Wednesday before the race I went for a short 3 mile run at a quick pace and when I got back I noticed my right foot was sore and there was a weird bruise on the outside of the fifth metatarsal. At first I thought, "What on earth did I whack my foot on?", but then I thought...no, I would have fallen and died if I had done that while running. And, it hurt to put weight on the foot. No Bueno. So, my husband tracked down a podiatrist the next day and he x-rayed the foot to eliminate a possible stress fracture and it turned out I sprained some miniscule, but majorly necessary tendon. I proceeded to ice that sucker like there was no tomorrow and somehow by race day the bruising had faded and I had no pain. But, because I have a half-iron distance in September, I decided that I would run conservatively. Whatever pace would allow me to keep my form in check. So, no GPS watch tempting me with a pace. I passed a few people on the run, maybe only one female. And was only passed by one female (younger than me though, phew)! Up that last hill and I'm sprinting to the finish, because it is more fun to sprint through the finish.

Honestly, I was just happy to get through this run without further damage to my foot. And my pace didn't end up being tragically slow, just not my normal "run like your hair is on fire" pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Acquire medal, water, Gatorade, a Chick-Fil-A sandwich, some chips, stagger around, sit in the grass/shade, obtain plaque for First place. Yes, I got first place in my age group. And also last place. Because I was the only one. I don't know how that even happened. Normally there are quite a few ladies to contend with and last year they schooled me and I took third. So, not quite as thrilling to get first out of one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sprain of the peroneus brevis tendon and the 1,000 armed sea monster trying to drown me during the last swim segment.

Event comments:

I really like this race for a number of reasons. It is close, it is not too easy or hard, there is great volunteer and spectator participation and this year they had a fantastic shirt/medal featuring the solar eclipse. The weather is borderline tolerable, generally.

Last updated: 2017-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:58 | 1500 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 82/122
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: T-Shaped
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:23 | 24 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 45/122
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:33 | 06.2 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/122
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-08-22 9:24 AM

Subject: Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1095 Posts: 1

2017-08-02 4:43 PM kloofyroland

Shawnee Mission Triathlon - Long Course

Started by noldowney
Views: 967 Posts: 2

2017-07-13 12:11 AM triosaurus

Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1421 Posts: 5