General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 13s
Overall Rank = 263/1405
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 48/181
Pre-race routine:

Packed all of my stuff the night before, cleaned my bike and pumped up my tires. Woke up and temporarily forgot to put in my contacts but thankfully remembered before I left the house. After I put in my contacts I went into the garage to get my bike and found I had a flat tire. Somehow, someway I punctured the tube inflating the tire the night before. I know this since the tire had plenty of air in it from Thursday on Saturday night but was totally flat in the morning and I had a horrible time getting the pump to latch on to the stem. I changed the flat and left the house far later than I expected. Bad start...I have generally not had these sorts of problems so I guess today is my day to make up.

I rode down to the start (about 3 miles) on the way my back brake suddenly moved and began rubbing against the rim. Not good. I stopped and adjusted the rear brake but began to get nervous since I wasn't sure why it happened in the first place. Argh!
Event warmup:

None.

Note: Overall (especially given everything that happened) I am very happy with my performance but that this report may read otherwise since I view this report as notes to myself about what I should continue doing and what I need to do in the future.
Swim
  • 26m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim...usually my best leg but today was a mess. First off I failed to properly position myself and thus was not up near the front where I should have been. Secondly, I did a less than stellar job getting through the surf on the way out but better than most. The swim portion went fine but I was stuck behind some obvious pool swimmers who were swaying back and forth like crazy so ideally I would have passed them and avoided all the bumping and crap.

The best part was the way in...we came in during a set and I thought I was going to catch a nice overhead wave so I pushed it but was a wee bit late. While I did catch the wave I got sucked straight up the face and thrown over the falls like a rag doll. Ouch. I'm sure from the shore it looked cool but I was leaking salt water out of all my orificies for hours to come.

However, it did remind me how much fun it is to body surf. : )
What would you do differently?:

Position myself better and train more. I tried to swim faster than I was trained to go.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

T1 was fine. The guy racked beside me was packing up his stuff (most likely since he had not finished the swim but I didn't ask) and I didn't know what to say. I hope he races again. The transition was fine but I was a little disoriented from getting pounded in the surf so it took a little longer than I would have liked.

Not get pounded. Get to the race earlier so that I get a rack closer to the exit.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I was far more tired than I would have liked to have been. I also found it hard to ride in the aerobars which isn't surprising since I really haven't trained in the aerobars all that much (I just installed them 2 or 3 weeks ago).

The ride was going fine but I seemed slower than I expected I think this is primarily due to the fact that the swim took more out of me than it should have. I also spent the last half of the ride wondering if my rear brake had started rubbing again. I was pretty sure it was all in my head but I wasn't positive. When I picked up my bike after the race the rear brake was once again rubbing against the rim but I'm pretty sure my bike must have been bumped in the rack area because I just can't imagine I would have been able to ride with the brake rubbing for that lonw without a more noticable drop in speed. I also know at the start of the ride that the brake was not rubbing since I checked before leaving T1.

The bike was also handling badly which, as it turns out, was because my headset had become loose. Bombing down Grand is a little unnerving to begin with but with the bike acting a little funny it was especially scary.

Nutrition: For race day, I woke up an 1.5 hours before the start so I did not eat anything. I drank my usual pint of water immediately after getting up and then drank another 24oz of water before the start with a single gel 5 minutes before the gun. For the rest of the day, I had a cup of water immediately after exiting the swim, 3/4 a bike bottle of sports drink on the bike, and 2 cups of water and 1 cup of sports drink on the run.
I have worked a lot on my distance fueling but have not practiced or concerned myself with fueling for shorter races. I'm sure my nutrition hurt me a little but I can't imagine it hurt me much. In the future I need a nutrition plan even for the shorter races.

Thoroughly check over my bike the week before the race. While I did check the frame and the drivetrain I didn't check the headset or the brakes nearly enough. Practice riding in the aerobars. Plan my nutrition.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I had to use the facillities so this transition appears longer than it really was in terms of getting everything done.

Not have to use the facillities.
Run
  • 47m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went fine. I was tired and unable to put in a faster run. I was also experiencing discomfort in my left knee. I would have like to have gone faster but this is a better run than I put in last year so I'm happy with it. Alternated taking water and gatorade at the aid stations.

Keep training the run. The transition runs have been helpful but I need to put in some additional longer runs and begin to work in some short bursts of speed to work on running faster and pushing through muscular discomfort.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and gatorade and had some food. Picked up all of my stuff and waited for Mike to finish (he was in a wave that started more than an hour after mine did). Met up with Mike's wife and son and waited along the finish chute to see him cross the line. Just like last year he finished very strong on the run.

Met up with Mike after the race and bumped into ChrisM. It's always nice to see familiar faces at races. It sounded like Chris had a great day with a smoking bike and a much better than expected run. I also got to meet Chris' lovely wife. Very nice people!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oddly enough I am going to go with a lack or swim training. I also need to pay more attention to the details if I want to go faster like carefully going over my bike and planning a nutrition plan.

Event comments:

The time is 2 minutes faster than last year. Slower by 4 minutes on the swim, but faster by 4 minutes on the bike and 2 on the run.

The race was well run the aid stations were stocked, check in the day before was easy and I found the race to be well organized. There were some positive changes from last year, like having the portapotties located inside T1.

However, there were some negatives that it would be good to fix. The biggest of which was the lack of food at the post-race table. In previous years they had far more stuff like bars and plenty of drinks and cookies and so forth. This year they had water and some fruit and not much more, while they had gatorade when I finished there was no gatorade by the time Mike finished. Ideally they would have enough so that the later waves would also have a well stocked finish line. I would also make sure to instruct the bike only participants on their obligation to stay to the right so that faster cyclists can pass. There were times I came upon huge packs of bike only participants riding side by side taking up a large part of the road.

Last updated: 2006-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/181
Overall: 75/1405
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vengeance Sleeveless
Course: Out then parrallel to shore then back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:26
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:57 | 24.85 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Overall: 548/1405
Wind:
Course: Point to point. Venice beach to downtown.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:24 | 06.21 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 288/1405
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 8.05 Mile 2: 6.52 Mile 3: 7.47 Mile 4: 8.13 Mile 5,6,and .2: 16.32
Course: Out and back in downtown LA. The first mile goes up a fairly steep hill on Grand Ave. Miles 2 and 3 are a gradual downhill to the turnaround. Mile 4 is uphill back to Grand. Mile 5 uses has a short steep uphill to get back to Grand after crossing below it. Mile 6 is down the steep hill from mile 1.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-12 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-09-12 5:44 PM
in reply to: #538576

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Sounds like a great race with the exception of the bike problems and not catching that wave. I hope I can be disappointed with a pace of 1:37/100 in my swim. Nice job!
2006-09-12 5:56 PM

User image

Great report (and not just cuz me and my wife were in it ).  Fantastic description of the swim, and when I post mine, I'll be wondering if I should have charged the surf coming in and ended up a basket case like you or wussed out like I did... At least I would have been a basket case with a few less seconds on the clock.

Like you, my swim was the worst as well.  I think the conditions were just such that you got lucky and little surf or unlucky and big surf.

Not sure how that 10K ranks with your other tris, but that is a smoking 10K time.

Good to see you again, see you in MB.

2006-09-12 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Nice race report , Thanks for sharing your thoughts and great splits and smoking fast overall time. I wish when I graduate to Olympic (next year?) to do a time like that!
I was lucky with the surf in my wave 14 (sprint) . I observed The surf batter earlier waves but no large waves came in when I was warming up or during my part of the race .

Can you tell a little about your nutrition ?
2006-09-12 6:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

#1 Glad you got your contacts in.

#2 Heeeh... you got pounded. Ummm, okay enough w/ the imature Family Guy-esque comments.... yeah, I heard the waves were pretty rough this year... still, that's a pretty strong swim split!

#3 You wanted a faster run split?! Damn you're fast!!

Great RR... I'm hoping to get out there w/ Bridget next year maybe!

2006-09-12 6:42 PM

User image

Southern California
From my discussions with friends this was an eventful race for everybody. I was lucky enough to catch a wave and it WAS fun. I posted a couple short videos on the waves that we encountered on my blog for anybody interested.

http://www.triathletestuff.com/

2006-09-12 7:18 PM
in reply to: #538652

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Great race report!

You are fast man. I stayed to the right the whole way on the bike.

That video rocked. That was my wave I think (blue caps). How I got through that I don't know.

Cheers
2006-09-14 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the very nice comments. Since the race I have had some time to think and am growing happier with my race overall. I think the swim took a lot more out of me than I realized initially so I'm looking forward to hitting the pool more in the next few months.

Van_Paulus, on nutrition, I usually take in a little less than 300 calories and hour. For race day, I woke up an 1.5 hours before the start so I did not eat anything. I drank my usual pint of water immediately after getting up and then drank another 24oz of water before the start with a single gel 5 minutes before the gun. For the rest of the day, I had a cup of water immediately after exiting the swim, 1/2 a bike bottle of sports drink on the bike, and 2 cups of water and 1 cup of sports drink on the run.

If I had it to do over again, I would have had a gel after the swim with water and then drank the full bottle of sports drink. I think I drank enough on the run.

Bluetri, great videos! Thanks for sharing them.

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed