General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you think about this bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-26 4:33 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: What do you think about this bike?
Hey everyone,

I got into triathlon a couple of years ago and picked up a 58cm Cervello P2 from a friend because it was a great deal and my LBS guy put me on it and fit it up for me. He said ideally I should be on a 61cm, but the 58 worked.

As I've started doing some longer rides (50+), I've had some pain in my shoulders that is likely due to the amount of drop between my seat and my aero bars. Now I want a 61.

So, I found this the other day on the web and thought I'd ask for your thoughts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cervelo-2013-P3-Classic-61cm-Ultegra-6700-1...

Looks like a good deal, even for an older model. I'm all googly eyed like a kid in a candy store and want the bike, so I'd appreciate someone without a dog in the fight to offer suggestions/concerns/opinions/etc. to help keep me down to earth.

Some questions...

1) Have any of you bought a bike this way (as in, on the internet)?
2) What questions would you have for the seller?
3) Is a new 2013 model really "new"?
4) Other thoughts? Is this a good deal?

2017-08-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: #5227035

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: What do you think about this bike?
My principal question would be the possibility of a crack in the frame. Any way you can get money back if you buy and it is cracked?
2017-08-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

I just googled Austin TriCyclist. This is apparently a brick and mortar shop in Austin, TX. They have good reviews on ebay as well as yelp. I have personally bought a bike from ebay with no problems, but just be cautious. Ask about people testing riding in the shop, bike falling over (possibly off a shelf on display) or being crashed. Ask about returns policy before purchasing. This seems like a legitimate seller
2017-08-27 4:25 PM

User image

I would ask if you get the full warranty from cervelo since it's new old stock.
2017-08-27 6:29 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

How tall are you?

2017-08-28 12:54 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
6'3" tall (mostly legs).

The seat on my 58cm is at the highest recommended setting.

2017-08-28 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Do you have a picture or video of you on the bike?

Shane
2017-08-28 1:38 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod Do you have a picture or video of you on the bike? Shane

I'd like to see that too....I'm just under 6'3" and could never ride a 61 tri bike.  My son is just under 6'5 and rides a 58 P2.  Both professionally fit

2017-08-28 2:09 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by gsmacleod Do you have a picture or video of you on the bike? Shane

I'd like to see that too....I'm just under 6'3" and could never ride a 61 tri bike.  My son is just under 6'5 and rides a 58 P2.  Both professionally fit

I'll try and get a picture for you guys to check out.

Do you think I'm on the right track on the shoulder pain? When I ride the area between my shoulder blades and the muscles just to the north start tingling after mile 50. Once I hit 60+ it's a slow back and forth from pain to numbness until I'm off the bike again. Sitting upright on the bike brings some relief, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a tri-bike.

I did a 71 miler a few weeks ago and the tingling lingered for days. It comes back when I go on 50+ miles rides, but gets annoying when I'm sitting at my desk at work.

Even before I had pain, I've felt like the aero bars on my bike were lower than I'd like them to be. Like maybe an inch or so higher would be more comfortable. The bike is a few years old though and finding the bits and pieces to raise the cockpit has been a challenge.
2017-08-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I would ask if you get the full warranty from cervelo since it's new old stock.

I asked the seller about this today.

The frame came out of Cervelo's warehouse a few weeks ago. Apparently they were cleaning out their older inventory and made a deal to whatever dealers wanted them. This dealer bought one of the frames, then built the bike in their shop in Austin. According to the seller, no one has ridden the bike.

Anyhow, the bike is covered by Cervelo's lifetime warranty to the original owner (who would be me in this case).
2017-08-28 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by marti038

I'll try and get a picture for you guys to check out.

Do you think I'm on the right track on the shoulder pain? When I ride the area between my shoulder blades and the muscles just to the north start tingling after mile 50. Once I hit 60+ it's a slow back and forth from pain to numbness until I'm off the bike again. Sitting upright on the bike brings some relief, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a tri-bike.

I did a 71 miler a few weeks ago and the tingling lingered for days. It comes back when I go on 50+ miles rides, but gets annoying when I'm sitting at my desk at work.

Even before I had pain, I've felt like the aero bars on my bike were lower than I'd like them to be. Like maybe an inch or so higher would be more comfortable. The bike is a few years old though and finding the bits and pieces to raise the cockpit has been a challenge.

I think a 61 is going to be way too big for you and while it might solve your issue of too much drop but would likely lead to too much reach.

Instead, if you fit well on your current bike, then I'd look at a positive rise stem and/or more stack in your aerobar pads. Much cheaper and you can experiment to see if you can solve the issue.

FWIW I'm 6'2" on a 56cm tribike.

Shane

2017-08-28 5:53 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Master
, California

I'd guess no, this isn't the solution to your shoulder pain.

I'm also 6'2, and I ride a 56.  If anything I'd guess you are too stretched out on the 58.  If your fit can get your upper arms (elbow to shoulder) close to vertical, then your weight is supported by your bones and you're less likely to have the pain you described.

If you can, post some photos of your current fit and some of the experts will probably see what's going on.

2017-08-28 11:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

Another 6'3" here. If you're really longer legged for the height, then Classic Cervelo geometry (if it is that) may be too long for you as there would be less torso to reach out. That was a pretty good definition of a long & low bike before they redesigned. There might be some frames where I could get onto a 61 just well enough, but I can also bend at the hips fairly well to get the torso flattened out more than average. The bikes I've had were more 57 or 58.

2017-08-29 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Determine your reach and stack if you don't know them and then compare them to the bike geometry. If out of range you might have to get a longer/shorter stem or even a completely new cockpit...if you are lucky. Some bikes/sizes just don't "fit" some people. You want to be comfortable.

I was just at a shop that provided me those dimensions plus a full report on optimal geometry. I used it to optimize my old P3 for an upcoming race (although that's a temporary solution for me...need a new bike for several reasons).

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-08-29 2:53 PM
2017-08-29 5:04 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Rdracer99 I just googled Austin TriCyclist. This is apparently a brick and mortar shop in Austin, TX. They have good reviews on ebay as well as yelp. I have personally bought a bike from ebay with no problems, but just be cautious. Ask about people testing riding in the shop, bike falling over (possibly off a shelf on display) or being crashed. Ask about returns policy before purchasing. This seems like a legitimate seller

Austin TriCyclist is a reputable BikeShop.  When I lived in Marble Falls, Texas it was 60 miles from where I lived but was my preferred LBS.  I is right off of very popular bike course and I guess brick and mortar are what the buildings in that area were made from back in the day when the town was being built up.  The building fits with others building o that street. The building isn't the important thing though.  The guys working the shop are the important thing.  All the guys working in the shop are good bike mechanics, certified bike fitters, semi-elite cyclists, etc.  I traveled past many bike realtors to get to the TriCyclist because I could order parts and equipment on ebay but when I got to a LBS I needed someone with a lot more bike knowledge than I have to answer my questions to make sure I get what I needed.  If you are just ordering bikes and equipment from them on Ebay then I guess they are going to have to complete on price and not service.  Although I know that if you ask question that you will get service too and not just some flipper who doesn't know what they are selling answering your questions.  :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you think about this bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Whatcha Y'all Doing This Year?

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1384 Posts: 8

2017-03-07 7:41 PM DomerTriGuy

Anyone doing SuperFrog 70.3 this weekend?

Started by dworth
Views: 652 Posts: 1

2016-09-23 11:40 AM dworth

Anyone Done Ironman Lanzarote?

Started by scottficek
Views: 1650 Posts: 5

2016-09-15 11:30 AM johnthecat

American doing IM abroad

Started by scottficek
Views: 1848 Posts: 19

2016-09-15 11:54 AM Patrick E

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions