Vacation Sports
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 00m 54s
Overall Rank = 89/194
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 19/30
Pre-race routine:

well i blogged my eating habits from the day before... along with getting up at 4:45 AM. Made my coffee... ate 2 yogurt granola bars + a blueberry bagel with butter. a bit of OJ.. a bit of Rain Gatorade.. and then coffee while I drove to the race from 5:15 - 6:15... i actually got lost takinga route up by forest lake and over to 170th street east toward the st.crouix... i didn't know 61 was actually forest blvd. stupid maps ... so i got a bit stressed..
Event warmup:

it was pitch black when I got there... at 7:15 we were ready to go.. I warmed up with a little swim out to the 2nd bouy (200meters maybe).. and swam back.. I kept thinking I would see a fish.. but nope..it was pretty cloudy.

I ate a gu just prior to the wave.
Swim
  • 42m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

from a few conversations I had.. it sounded like it was a bit longer then 1.2 miles.. i felt great during the swim ...the wet suit makes is so easy to float... and I kept my crawl the whole way.. no stroke at all..keeping on eye on the bouys was tricky since they weren't 1) line up correctly (zip zagging was pretty typically for everyone) and 2) they kept drifting..
What would you do differently?:

hmmm... i think i did quite well on the swim.. if only the distance was accurate.. I believe I woudl have yielded my best times... oh well.. next time right..
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

well.. lets see.. 125 steps from the beach up to the parking lot.. so that put an additional minute most likely.. then once at the top I wrestled with my wet suit.. and taking off my timex watch.. (I wanted toKNOW my time .. isn't that terrible.. so I wore a different watch duringthe swim then the bike/run cuz the garmin 305 is NOT waterproof..) i put lots of glide on my arms and legs so the suit came off relatively easy.... then I mucked it all up .. and spent an eternity putting ony my Garmin watch..helmet, eyewear, camel back, and yes.. gloves.. it was quite COLD.. during the bike..

less crap to wear .. lose the timex watch, lose the gloves, lose the camel back... on this long distance and being my fist time I wanted all the extras to measure and safeguard my slightest chance of failing.. the timex gave me confidence telling me my time after the swim .. 40 minutes.. so that helped.. the gloves protected me .. and the camel back .. well that probably wasn't as key considering the weather.. but it helped ..
Bike
  • 3h 06m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

initially it was dry ... but it progressily got wetter and the cold started to get to me... I was pretty cold to start with and at the end .. my arms were goosebumping...

to start with the wind was blowing to the NW so the bike out was nice until I turned north... then the headwinds hit me.. turn east the full force of the headwinds hit me.. and it was strong. There was a LOT of road kill on the road .. at one point a completely torn and mangled bloody carcase lay on the road of what looked like the remains of a full sized deer.. man it smelled terrible and was really awful...

I took 2 Bathroom breaks.. during the bike ride.. I guess that means i hydrated properly.. but each time I stopped to sprinkle the bushes.. I got scratches and cuts on my arms and legs.. ugh.. stupid bushes were like rose bushes or something.. just my luck... I would have liked to see my system simply shut down as it normally does on a long distance ride.. but this race it seemed to just want to come out.. go figure.. anyhow.. its quite difficult to take a BR break with a single piece zoot outfit lemme tell you.. I could have likely shaved off 10 minutes from my bike if I hadn't taken the breaks.. but then I might have exploded .. oh well. i thought my run would have been my weakest leg.. but it wasn't .. doh!

somehow magically increases my POWER and get into the 20+ range.. 18 isn't horrible.. but 19-20 would have been more what I would have liked.. I did this same route and got did 17.8.. so I must have done something right this time.. I need to train more on the HILLS .. they put me at 8-10mph at some points.
wear better clothing considering the weather.. a single piece suit wasn't appropriate.. i brought my trek bike jacket .. but never put it on .. it just lay in the bag..shessh.
oh .. and not take BR breaks.. how would that be possible i dont know... could be ugly... but it did start raining toward the end of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

i was elated to be done.. very happy... I made it.. wheeeew.. and I felt pretty strong.. which amazed me.. my left ham was quite tender though as I got off the bike.. I didn't push as hard as i could on the bike.. saving my digging deep for the run... so with that said.. I was just ready to get running...

hustle.. albeit.. 2:11 aint bad for me. im a slow poke in the T zones.
Run
  • 2h 05m 28s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

wow... i managed 8:10s first 3 miles.. my left ham started flaring up though.. and I just got really scared.. if this freaking ham blows up I am screwed.. limping through the last 10 miles wasn't something I was looking forward to.. but I would have done it.. so I prayed to god.. told him to save my ham.. he said .. slow down you idiot.. you need to slow down... so I stopped at the drink station and consumed my water.. (every 3 miles I stop for water ).. and then started back up again at a 9:10-20 pace.. the ham was flaring but not borderline anymore.. their was a few moment there where i thought I was done for.. but I just limped and slowed down.. and keep praying.. just let it be... and it seemed to go ok.. after mile 6.. I knew I would make it ... and the pain was tolerable enough .. the risk of blowing the ham had subsided.. wheew... then I had to pee... lol.. so my 3rd BR break.. it was raining pretty good now.. so I slogged my next 3 miles getting wetter and wetter.. at mile 11.5 or so .. the last long 1.5 mile hill up square lake trail.. man that sucked.. I stopped and walked about .3 miles.. just thinking the whole time.. your almost there.. only 3 miles to go.. keep it up .. i wasn't sure what was left of me.. and then I did some digging.. and found a 11 minute pace.. which only lasted about .5 miles when a guy came up behind me... and started talking to me... .. holy cow did that make a difference.. i got faster and back to my 9:20s range.. finished up with this other racer.. made a big difference.. its amazing when you have someone to just pace and talk to take your mind away from the brutality of those last few miles.. in the end he ditched me (last 400 meters prolly)... for risk of seriously injuring my ham.. i just couldn't .. so I let him go and he finished a whole 30 seconds in front of me.. and he was in my AG too.. ugh.. anyhow.. it helped.. the finsih line never looked so good... with all the rain and the pain.. it all seemed to just wash away after crossing the finish line.. what a feeling of accomplishment that was.. it still linger even now after 2 days.. I think I am addicted for sure..

lift more weights and get my hams in the right shape to handle the beating i gave them
Post race
Warm down:

well.. i limped down to the tzone.. no refreshments or anything.. someone said.. go down to the beach they have hot dogs.. so I hobbled down to the beach and walked over to the start.. and they had hot dogs.. they never taste so good .. i had two.. ..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my hams, my mental boundaries.. , my BR breaks, the bouys.. haha

I actually now think and believe I can DO the FULL IM.. with this behind me I am confident I coudl do it... I didn't even push myself mentally... the biggest limitation for me.. was my ham.. my HR and my mind were ready for more.. my hams would NOT have taken it though.. recongnizing the limits of your body are pretty key .. irrepuble damage isn't enticing.. I will weight train and build this weakness into a strength for my next one.

Event comments:

flop sucked (there wasn't any).. no medal, only hot dogs... and they were hidden down below... ugh. drinking stations were good..
I enjoyed the challange on the hilly course.. I will do another HIM next year .. im sure the weather will be the biggest unknown factor for my next one..

Last updated: 2005-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:12 | 2112 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 12/30
Overall: 71/194
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintino Roo
Course: around the moving bouys 2times.. in a clockwise fashion. bouys were moving around a lot ...
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:11
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:06:27 | 56 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/30
Overall: 93/194
posted to blog on motionbased.com if your a data geek.. you can read it.. from the link in my blog.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Around the west side of the lake smooth roads rolling hills.. on the east side a few really big hills and a very bumpy roads... (st.croix side)... wind blowing NW mostly at 15mph at some points.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:05:28 | 13.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/30
Overall: 87/194
Course: out and back.. lots of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-12 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: Square Lake Triathlon

the rest at Flickr Pictureset 

Edited by rabkaman 2006-09-12 7:49 PM

2006-09-12 9:30 PM
in reply to: #538711

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon

CONGRATULATIONS MR HALF IRONMAN!   Awesome Performance!

Great report, great insights, looks to me like you had a GREAT race.  I'm sorry about the hammy though.  That had to be NOT fun!  But you stuck with it, and finished strong!  I hear you on the pacing buddy though.  When I did my Oly, I had a very difficult time on the run.  I looked back on my times, and noticed I was down to 11:00's before I met up with a pacing buddy at about mile 4.8.  We paced in and my time dropped back down to a much more respectable 9:20.

Your pic's look like you were really strong!  You might not have felt it, but you looked it!  I think you'd have shaved at least 10 minutes or so had you not had hammy issues.

You also have my kudo's for sticking it out in what sounds like wasn't very good weather.   All that time in just a lycra tri-suit, BRR>>> 

I think you can do an Ironman anytime you decide that you're ready.  You have me at your back! 

CONGRATULATIONS-- You may have only done a half, but in my book that race was an IRONMAN performance!   You rocked it!

2006-09-14 1:55 PM
in reply to: #538711

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon
awesome!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon Rss Feed