General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transverse process fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-07 9:41 PM

Subject: Transverse process fracture
I had an unfortunate bike accident during training for my first half ironman. Broke left transverse process of L3. 3 weeks later, pain has pretty much resolved and I'm anxious to return to training as my race is on October15th. I'm a physician and 52 yrs old, I know all about what the book says, but was wondering has anyone among us who's not a professional athlete had this injury and how soon after did they attempt to get back at biking and running?

2017-09-10 8:40 PM
in reply to: Maui IR

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Transverse process fracture
I would hazard to guess that you would use pain as your guide. I would try to run with your spine in a neutral position and don't hyperextend your hip. Be a little easy on pulling up on the pedal when you bike ride. Maybe a little less zealous on your pushoffs after a flip turn. Pain usually is better about 10 days, the fracture gets pretty sticky at 3, but could take 12 weeks to get solid. Might try seeing how you feel when you flex your hip with your knee bent to put a maximum load on the psoas and see how you feel. Might look really closely at the xray and or CT scan to make sure you didn't break L1 and L2 transverse processes as well. If worse comes to worse and you end up with a non union it would not be a major problem.
2019-07-19 9:54 PM

Hi! So I have a transverse process fracture too and I am on day 26 days out from the accident. I am signed up for a half ironman next Sunday so I'd be at the end of week 4 healing wise.

Did you do the half ironman?? If so, was it painful?? Ok?? I can't decide what to do! I don't get my money back so I really want to do it even though I am not well trained at all. I've done 2 fulls, and 6 half's so I know what to expect though.

Hope you get this!!

Thanks for your help!!
2019-08-20 8:15 AM

Hello, I broke L1-5 transverse process after a MTN bike fall. I am trying to figure out when I might be riding again. I am a physician as well, 50 years old. Its almost 2 weeks since the accident and I still have pain and limited range of motion due to pain. From what I can gather, pain is the main issue and if an activity doesn't cause pain its probably OK to do it.

From the couple posts I see here you guys are getting back at it pretty quick, like actually doing a triathalon at 4 week? Great! Hope is went well and any updates on your status would be appreciated. Mark
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transverse process fracture Rss Feed