Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

My first DNF. I'm not real happy to report this, but I'm not too upset either. Last week, I came down with a nasty flu that kept me off my feet for five days. Finally, after five days of waiting it out, I went for a run to try and sweat it out. I thought I had succeeded because I went to work the next few days, and started running again. I didn't feel 100%, but felt pretty good. I took Friday off to "taper" for my end of season final local triathlon. On Friday night, I was woken up by a 30 minute coughing fit, and ended up tossing my cookies as a nice bonus. I got up on Saturday morning feeling OK, but not great. I delayed, and delayed making my mind up if I should even got to the race. I waited until literally the last minute I could, and then went for it. I was the last person to get there, and ran to the water as they were counting down to the start. I had a pretty typical MOP swim, and got out feeling like crap. I jogged to T1, and got my bike (after searching for a bit), and started out. I got about 2 miles into the bike when I had to pull over and puke. That done, I tried going again, but had to pull over once again. At that point, I realized I was just going to be hurting myself more by pushing any harder. My next athletic goal is to complete my first marathon in Mid-October, and I didn't want to compromise that goal any more than I already have by being sick.

The part of the day that realy struck me was the verbal support by many of the folks coming up the course, and passing me as I was on my way back to hand in my chip. A lot of the people thought I was winning the race, and was on my way back in. I pedaled really slowly, and tried to look as casual as I could so people wouldn't make that mistake, but many did nonetheless. Many were cheering and saying "Great job" and "Great Race" - all while struggling up some pretty tough beginning hills. I try to be supportive of fellow athletes, and always thank volunteers profusely (or as profusely as possible given my level of exertion at the time) but these folks struggling up these hills, and mustering up really enthusiastic cheers for me really blew me away.

Coming back down the final hill into T2 was really awkward at first. There was a pretty good size crowd of supporters there watching me come in . A lot of them looked like they were also under the imopression I was winning the race. But before anyone could really start cheering or clapping, I ditched my bike and walked to the closest volunteer to turn in my chip. Even when it was apparent I was calling it quits, a lot of folks were saying things like "That's OK - you'll get 'em next time" and "Good try, anyway". I was really blown away by the level of support.

I guess what I'm really saying here is that I am so pleased, and proud to be involved in a sport that brings together so many positive, enthusiastic, and supportive people.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:08 | 880 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: http://www.coolrunning.com/results/06/nh/Sep9_TriClo_set1.shtml
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 14 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-12 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: Concord YMCA Triathlon

2006-09-13 7:24 AM
in reply to: #538769

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: Concord YMCA Triathlon
Good RR Dave. I learn just as much from RR's like this as I do from IM finisher reports. Glad you got something out of this race, and shared it with us. Good luck with the marathon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Concord YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed