Lifetime
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 55s
Overall Rank = 186/284
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/17
Pre-race routine:

Filled water bottles halfway and put in freezer night before. Woke up at 2:15 am, got up at 3:45 am, took dogs out for walk (Dean away at a bike race in Prescott). Ate egg and toast about 4:15 am. Applied sunscreen at home. Meant to leave house at 5 am; left at 5:07 and kicked myself for not leaving earlier because the line of cars to the parking garage was longer and slower than normal. Parked at Culinary Dropout instead. Arrived in transition about 5:38 am. Got bike tires pumped up first thing, then set up area. Turned bike Garmin on. Set TYR bag against fence. Kept street shoes, goggles in case, swim cap, banana, and throwaway water bottle with me as exited transition. Wave started at 7:38 am. Plenty of time for bathroom stops (3 before race start). Finished banana about half hour before race start. Tossed shoes and goggles case over fence onto TYR bag about 20 minutes before race start. Kept water bottle until very last for hydration and to rinse goggles before entering water.
Swim
  • 23m 37s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Did fairly well for not being trained. Did entire 750 without stopping except for when we merged with super sprints and I got beat up a little. Moved to the side to get out of the way. Very warm water -- easy to get in; got a little warm while swimming. Very glad I was doing the sprint. No problems with goggles! Kept perfectly clear the entire time; not sure if that was the careful application of baby shampoo mix the night before, rinsing the goggles prior to getting in the water, or both. Whatever it was, I was happy!
What would you do differently?:

Train for swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Spent a little time turning off Apple Watch from swim. Definitely not the best for timing a tri. When I get serious again, I'll get back to wearing the Garmin 910 again. Otherwise, I was pretty happy with this transition! Time is a little long because my rack was all the way east at the run out end, which meant a lot of time trying to run the bike, both out and in. Must have done something right because I was 6 of 17 in age group on T1.

Switch out the Apple Watch for the Garmin tri watch.
Bike
  • 42m 54s
  • 12.54 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Smoked it on the bike! I knew I was going a little too hard, but it's only a sprint. Passed many other sprinters, although only one in my age group. Took the U-turns a little too slow, too cautiously, and had to re-pass a few people when I deliberately went wide on the turns. But otherwise, this was a GOOD bike split, for me anyway! Fun, fun, fun!

Practice U-turns prior to the event.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Pretty good T2, for me at least. 7 of 17 in age group. Didn't run entire way with bike, and it was all the way across transition. On bike I decided not to use socks, but in transition I changed my mind and slipped them on anyway.

Get comfortable with no socks prior to race, and then not even bring socks. Would have saved about 20 seconds.
Run
  • 34m 58s
  • 3.14 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good for not doing any triathlon specific training (no bricks). I wanted to do the entire 5K without stopping, but ended up walking 3 times, each for 30 steps or less. Two on hills, one to get HR down. Still pretty warm out there - about 85 degrees when I ended. Again, very glad not to be doing the Olympic. Been there, done that -- it's HOT! Even today I had to dump water over my head at aid stations and in between. Glad to have frozen half of the water bottle; it was still very cold and refreshing on the run. Wore road Hokas because they didn't have laces and I could just slip them on, but wished I had lighter slip-on shoes for the 5K. May have to put speed laces in my K-swiss shoes if I continue with triathlons.

Done some tri-specific training, maybe different shoes. Overall I just need to get faster again.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt amazingly wasted immediately upon crossing finishing line; a little dizzy when I stopped to talk to Gina Parkey, needed to keep walking. Got athlete's food and sat for a bit; felt better. Treated myself to half a Kiltlifter at the beer tent. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, lack of training. Attitude was phenomenal! Even did pretty well at battling demons in the swim! Bike attitude was awesome, and pushed through the run, even feeling a bit of runner's high during the third mile. Smiling throughout and gave a lot of other athletes compliments.

Event comments:

Lifetime runs phenomenal races and this was no exception. Well-organized, lots of volunteers, good freebies in goodie bag and post race. Good athlete food, appreciate the free beer afterwards. Fun and friendly, but serious dudes can compete here too. The ONLY nit I have was that while potholes were generally well marked, there was a massive pothole next to a manhole cover on Rio Salado in front of the State Farm buildings that was not marked and could have caused problems. Otherwise, this was a great race.

Last updated: 2017-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:37 | 750 meters | 03m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 228/284
Performance: Average
Suit: ESCKTC tri gear
Course: Rectangular course in Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:54 | 12.54 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 156/284
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Convoluted urban course. Crowded in areas, but not too bad.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:58 | 03.14 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 186/284
Performance: Average
Course: One loop around Tempe Town Lake (between Rural and Mill).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-09-17 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Subject: Lifetime Tri Tempe

2017-09-18 9:05 AM
in reply to: #5228153

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Lifetime Tri Tempe
thanks for the report. I'll never understand how you guys can get up at 3 am and race at 7. it's totally beyond me...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Tri Tempe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

LA Tri Series #3 - Tri Express Distance

Started by tcovert
Views: 1202 Posts: 1

2017-05-13 9:51 PM tcovert

LifeTime Fitness Indoor Triathlon

Started by swim114
Views: 1049 Posts: 1

2017-01-08 1:56 PM swim114