General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob Questions: Wetsuits & Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-25 9:21 AM

Subject: Noob Questions: Wetsuits & Nutrition
New Orleans will be my 1st Ironman. Last week, I did my 1st tri. It was a sprint - 1/2 mile swim, 20m bike, 4m run.

I loved it. It was also my 1st OWS.

It looks like New Orleans will be borderline wetsuit legal. As a still novice swimmer (only swimming since April, what would be a good wetsuit for some one who doesnt have the perfect form and is still deathly afraid of the OWS?

For nutrition, is there a plan somewhere on what or how to eat? I practice and have found out that I like solids (bars) on the bike and gels on the run. But I dont want to eat the wrong bar. I like Zone bars. They make me feel happy as I am riding, but are higher in protein versus carbs.

Thanks

Bonus Question: Should I upgrade from my entry level raod bike to a tri bike in order to not get DQ'd because of time? I maintained 18mph in my last Tri, but I sprinted my butt off to maintain that. No way I am maintaining that pace for 56 miles.

2017-09-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: Spartan420

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Noob Questions: Wetsuits & Nutrition

Welcome to the sport.  

Some people get wetsuits as an "aid" to swimming (or swimming fast).  
Some people get wetsuits because the water is quite uncomfortable or dangerously cold.  

My advice is focus on form, taking some lessons if possible, and develop proper technique rather than rely on the buoyancy of a wetsuit, ESPECIALLY if the swim is borderline wetsuit legal.  How will you feel if your "Plan A" (wetsuit) is taken from you the morning of the race?  Additionally, you'd want some time to practice in the wetsuit before the race.  It IS different.  

Research what the course has to offer for nutrition and at least TRY it during training.  When I did Vineman, another BT'er was doing it as his first IM and rode from the hotel to the start with me (45 minutes) so his family could sleep in.  About half-way there, he realized all of his nutrition was still in the hotel room, so he had to rely on nutrition provided by the race rather than what he'd used in training.  It turned out OK, but certainly added more stress to his day.  

As to your bonus question...Pssst...here a (not so) secret the equipment manufacturers don't want you to know...it isn't the equipment that determines your success on race day!  95% of us won't benefit from an equipment upgrade, and I'll put odds on you're with us rather than in the 5% where equipment will make such a difference.  I've seen mountain bikes in HIM transition.  If you train properly, the difference between a road bike and a tri bike is about 2 minutes, maybe 3 on the HIM bike split.  

2017-10-02 2:24 PM
in reply to: Spartan420

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
(only swimming since April, what would be a good wetsuit for some one who doesnt have the perfect form and is still deathly afraid of the OWS? )

Welcome and congrats on signing up for a 70.3

Two things:

You have the option of wearing a wetsuit if the race is not "wetsuit legal", at 78.1 or less.
From 78.1 - 83.9 degrees, you can still wear it, but are not eligible for awards. Whether you should or not, is another question.

For an entry level wetsuit, I would recommend Xterra Vortex Sleeveless. It is lower cost (search around for coupon codes), and the sleeveless version is not restrictive in the shoulder like low cost Full suits. The buoyancy will go a long way to reducing your anxiety while you work on your stroke.

2017-10-02 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5228617

User image

Franklin, TN
For Ironman events the wetsuit cutoff is 76.1F. It's wetsuit optional from 76.2 to 83.8...if you go this route you're not eligible for age group awards. The cutoff for other USAT sanctioned events is 78.1.

Plenty of people ride road bikes in a HIM. A Tri bike will usually help you go faster since your body is creating less wind drag. At the half iron distance you'll save in the range of 9-12 minutes for each mile per hour you go faster. If you can't stay in the aero bars for the majority of the race, the benefits of the Tri bike drop...that's why people harp on getting fitted properly when you purchase your Tri bike.

I own a Roka wetsuit and I like it a lot. I know Xterra has a lot of reasonably priced suits but I have no experience with them.
2017-10-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
The Half Ironman at NOLA looks fun. It was going to be my first half......but an injury sidelined me (a few years ago). I'd like to go do it, some day.

With it being where it is on the calendar, now......I can't see it ever being outside the limits (upper limits) of you being able to wear a wetsuit. I wore one in Augusta, last year, when the race wasn't wetsuit legal. My reasoning was twofold: 1. I was in the next-to-last wave, anyway. So, wearing the wetsuit cost me a full 8 minute wait. My guess is.....I made half of that time up, wearing the wetsuit. I didn't care about AG awards. I wasn't going to be that fast. I think I swam 29:xx and had a blast.

I have what I feel to be the best wetsuit combo......the Desoto two-piece. I have the sleeved top and the vest. I can also pair either with BS core shorts and have several iterations. I have no idea why this isn't the most popular wetsuit in the sport. The combinations alone should warrant that.

Anyways.....good luck with your tri. The half ironman distance is awesome.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob Questions: Wetsuits & Nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nutrition Issue/Question

Started by TriToFinish57
Views: 1164 Posts: 12

2017-07-30 3:53 AM Hot Runner

Noob Wetsuit Question

Started by Tterrag8907
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2017-01-31 9:23 AM Tterrag8907

Wetsuit Question

Started by Tterrag8907
Views: 950 Posts: 7

2017-02-04 5:55 AM JoelO

Nutrition During 70.3 race Pages: 1 2

Started by TriathlonnDad
Views: 2357 Posts: 26

2017-01-26 4:54 PM mcmanusclan5

Paleo vs Primal nutrition-for beginners

Started by Jabezgal
Views: 1403 Posts: 11

2016-12-05 7:47 AM mike761
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!