General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a Used Tri Bike - What to look for? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-25 11:43 AM

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: Looking for a Used Tri Bike - What to look for?
Hi Everyone. I have been searching around looking for a used Triathlon Bike (Upgrading from a entry level specialized allez e5 sport). I'm new to the sport as I just finished my second season of Tri's and did my first Olympic this year. I did find one online, but not sure if this is such a improvement from where I am with my original bike, and is buying a 2014 bike like buying a computer that's 3 years old and probably already out of date?

Here are the specs. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Felt B12 aero TT 56cm frame, UHC performance MMC carbon fiber w/ 3kP weave
Dura Ace crankset 53/36
Dura Ace front & rear derailleurs
Dura Ace bottom bracket
Dura Ace chain
Vision Metron aero bar shifters
Felt Bayonette handlebar/cockpit
Aero placed TRP rear brake (tucked behind the bottom bracket)
ISM Adamo Prologue saddle
Arundel Carbon cage frame bottle
Look Keo pedals
Felt TTR3 wheelset
Continental Ultra Race tires
Ultegra 12/25 10 speed cassette

2017-09-25 1:27 PM
in reply to: wsljlw

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Subject: RE: Looking for a Used Tri Bike - What to look for?
I guess it would depend on what you have on your current road bike and what you are willing to pay for the Felt. But mostly it's going to come down to FIT!

I went from an entry level 2011 road bike that I rode and raced for 5 years. Last year I bought a used B2. The previous owner did do some upgrades and it's kinda matches what you have on the B12. I can say this. It was a HUGE difference for me. I was professionally fit on both bikes. But going from a road bike with clip on bars, to the carbon B2 was like night and day for me.

The really big payoff for me was the run off the bike. I just felt so much more comfortable running when I got off the B2.

My 2 cents. YMMV

--
Dave
2017-09-25 1:49 PM
in reply to: wsljlw

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Looking for a Used Tri Bike - What to look for?

That is a well spec'd bike, but fit and fitness matter more than components.  

Most of us couldn't tell the difference in performance between Shimano DuraAce and 105 (or even Tiagra/Sora) components.  The saddle might or might not work for you.  

If you have an aero helmet, can maintain aero form, and are already optimized for power-to-weight (i.e. not carrying an extra 5#), the aero brake calipers and carbon bottle cage will make a difference.  

If it's a good fit and you feel good riding it (and will therefore ride it lots), it's now a question of life priorities.  I suspect it's still a very expensive bike and only you can decide if it's "worth it" or not.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a Used Tri Bike - What to look for? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for Pros and Cons on Bike

Started by Trine
Views: 1602 Posts: 20

2017-07-19 9:23 AM Trine

Looking for a coach and I don't know where to start

Started by happyscientist
Views: 1139 Posts: 10

2016-10-26 10:02 AM TriMyBest

Womens Tri-Suits - What do you look for?

Started by Carla-Adele
Views: 1398 Posts: 3

2016-10-28 6:46 PM Hot Runner

In Cincy, looking for a used bike.

Started by willygood87
Views: 965 Posts: 3

2016-11-03 7:20 AM alicefoeller

Where to buy a used Tri bike

Started by kmonie360
Views: 1661 Posts: 15

2017-01-08 6:50 PM Donto
RELATED ARTICLES